ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #23
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveappen View Post
Nice feedback guys. For those that have wives or SO's, how do they feel about the ride quality on road trips? Ultimately, that's what I'm worried about...
Wife and I took the Z4MR on a 380 mile road trip from SoCal to NoCal (and then 380 mile return trip). Wife commented that the ride was more livable than my previous Z3 doing the same round-tripper. Said she would do it again.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #24
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveappen View Post
How about just general reliability up to this point for your cars? How often have you had maintenance/service done on the car and what were the issues?
Bring car in to dealer whenever service indicator says to. In addition to oil changes, dealer has replaced brake fluid and valve cover gaskets (no charge).
Other issues over nearly 3 years (26k miles):
  • Dealer replaced one Xenon HID (no charge)
  • Dealer replaced one turn signal lamp (no charge)
  • I replaced one turn signal lamp (bought the part and DIY)
  • Dealer replaced battery (no charge)
  • Dealer inspected battery and recharged it, but did not replace it (no charge)

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #25
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFexec View Post
Put another way, what do you love and what do you not like about the drive, the handling, and so on? Is it much harder & stiffer than say the 3.0si? Is it a car that may not be so good as a DD in a city with typical "city streets" and their usual bumps and jolts?

As a sort of frame of reference, I currently drive a 2007 335i (E93)
What I love - there is no other car I've driven that feels as right as this car does in 3rd gear. I can keep it in 3rd from 2K rpm up through 6K rpm (and beyond). Once you get past 5.5K rpm in 3rd, the feel and the sound and the response cannot be captured in words. If you're driving up an 8% grade, you can keep it on 4th and howl past traffic. This car likes to be driven at high revs.

What I do not like - haven't found it yet.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #26
princefemi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80

I test drove one today and all I can say is it felt like sex on wheels!

The salesman is an enthusiast and took me on one of the best test drives ever. I drive an E90 335i my car feels like a boat when compared to the Z. The difference in driving dynamics was apparent at the first turn of the steering wheel, and the first stab at the throttle. The steering was direct, laser sharp, and the car felt very nimble. You can drive the Z4M around town in a very civil manner but when you hit the "sport" button and put your foot in it, the car transforms into a beast. I have the N54 engine in my E90 and this is the engine in the latest generation Z car. The engine is very powerful and power delivery is smooth (almost too smooth). The S54 engine in the Z4 M to me is truly a gem. It is spectacular! I love the way it sounds and it just seems to be a perfect fit for the Z4M. I do not have the words to describe how much I like this engine. Pop the hood and you will even find the engine to be beautiful to look at. Based on the direction BMW and other car companies seem to be heading, the Z4M will be one the last few raw sports cars available. I really think the Z4M has a chance at becoming a collectors item. The styling is awesome too. The new Z car is a looker (almost too pretty), but the Z4M to me looks more business-like and athletic. Maybe because it is smaller, I can't put my finger on it.

I found the ride to me somewhat stiff but compliant. The ride was by no means too stiff for use as a DD.

I can ramble on about how much I love the car. The best advice I can give is for you to locate one and take a drive. It will put a smile on your face. I left the dealership today wondering why BMW didn't sell way more of these cars than they actually did.

I am going to buy one of these next year. I am to search hard and will get me an '07 or '08 Interlagos Blue roadster from some old retired guy in FL that just couldn't handle the rawness of this vehicle, and just wants to get rid of it. Hopefully the prices will drop further so that I can pick one up for around 25K. I will use it as my weekend/track car, while I use my E90 as my DD.
      12-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #27
GothM
Oversteer Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 M Coupe, Black Sapphire

It's like a cross between your 335i and Miata but with more character than either, 9/10 Ferrari Daytona proportions and a dash of muscle car.

Or like this:
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #28
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E91; '12 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothM View Post
It's like a cross between your 335i and Miata but with more character than either, 9/10 Ferrari Daytona proportions and a dash of muscle car.

Or like this:
I liked that - but more engine sound would have been nice.

Doug
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #29
GothM
Oversteer Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 M Coupe, Black Sapphire

Turn up your speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #30
ausherpharmd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Gray Ford Fusion

I recently took an 800 mile roundtrip to Atlanta and it was great as the driver. If you don't like to ride though, and hope to just pass out and sleep through the entire journey, this isn't the car. While it's fine sitting up, it is not comfy for a sleeping passenger.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #31
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

What's it like? Great fun. Looks small on the outside, but roomy yet cozy in the cabin. Sweet spot in starts around 4.5k RPM. Ride quality is harsher than the ZHP I came from. Been in a 335 a long time ago so I can't really compare. I DD the M spring through late fall and don't mind the ride a bit (on Chicago and surrounding suburban roads).

I call "Sport" mode "Clutch Smoke" mode.

I think it was already mentioned that most of us are still within warranty but if you want to get at least a little bit of an idea, maybe check out what some of the early Z4 owners might be seeing as well as what E46 M3 owners go through with engine related maintenance.
      01-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #32
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

Took mine on a 900 mile road trip last week and I will have to repeat it here in 10 days....while the car itself is a BLAST to drive, the long trip was not very comfortable. I don't find the seat supportive because of a lack of lumbar support. Also, the seats themselves seem to lack cushioning.

I recently drove my E36 M3 w/ GC coilovers track/street kit with the vader seats and I was shocked when I realized it was more comfortable with that setup than the Z on a stock setup!

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #33
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
Took mine on a 900 mile road trip last week and I will have to repeat it here in 10 days....while the car itself is a BLAST to drive, the long trip was not very comfortable. I don't find the seat supportive because of a lack of lumbar support. Also, the seats themselves seem to lack cushioning.
I didn't have a problem on a similar trip (Chicago to Greenville, SC), but I do think lumbar would be nice. I keep meaning to add it - I've got all the parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #34
topendpower
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I've only put about 100 miles on my M coupe since I purchased it a couple weeks ago, but it is a blast to drive. The car begs to be driven and does everything asked of it remarkably well. The engine is spectacular as are the brakes and steering.

The car could be used as a daily driver. Oklahoma has some of the worst roads I've ever driven on and the ride isn't what I'd describe as harsh. You'll feel every bump but they do not produce teeth rattling jolt.

The ergonomics are great. I'm 6'3 and it fits like a glove. I love the way the shifter falls perfectly into grip. Be prepared to buy this car once you test drive one.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #35
Steve P.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe, 2008 M3 Sedan

Took my Z4 M Coupe on a trip part way across Canada, and back across the northern States, 6000 miles total (over 10 days drving). Found it to be surprisingly comfortable, no back issues or anything! Many reviews say the car is not a cross country driver, I would have to disagree as I found it very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #36
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
No issues here other than a rare oil leak where the oil pan was replaced under warranty- my dealer had not seen this in any other S54 car so I assume it was a fluke on my car.

As far as ride and wives/SOs, my wife routinely goes to the mountains with me when we go on various club drives that can vary from 6 hours to 12 hours. After doing these for a year or so in our Lotus Elise, the M feels like a Cadillac to her
You have a pretty tolerant wife. My wife (of 25 years) rode in the Z4MC once and said it made her carsick. This is someone who has ridden without complaint in everything from Austin Healeys to Porsches. Maybe my driving had something to do with that. It's a car that loves to be thrown about. Anyway she hasn't been in the car since.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #37
99C2
Rep
Drives: M4

How about the ride:

Softer than a S2000, firmer than a 996. That Sport Button really helps too!!

99C2
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #38
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Maintenance costs? What exactly are you going to compare it to? A Z4M will cost you 30 Gs give or take, depending on year/options/mileage. What else will you be able to purchase for that money that will give you that performance. I understand that not everyone can put $30,000+ into a 2 seater. So don't buy it. The Z4 M roady or coupe is a fantastic buy when you consider price vs performance. You can get a 'Vette Z (same year) for 15 Gs more & get more HP & similar cornering. "Maintenance" costs will probably be less - but overall costs definitely more. Get a Porsche - costs will be similar, performance similar. Get a Lotus - great if you don't want a DD (too harsh) and absolutely don't ever need any body work. Dodge Viper? Fantastic in a straight line. Similar price. Maintenace costs? similar. Repair costs? Rediculous.
In the end, If you want the performance the Z4m gives, the maintenance costs are reasonable, for what you get. You just gotta figger that into the purchase price to begin with.
Appreciate 0