ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E91; '12 Z4 35i

What's It Like to Drive a Z4M?

OK - yes, I know - the immediate response, is well, why don't you just drive one and find out! And the reason is twofold: 1. It's winter here and not a good time to give one a good test drive, and 2. Not any around to test drive anyway (see reason #1).

And now of course I know there will be different thoughts on this, but here is why I am asking: I've heard and/or read where people describe the ride as rough or brutish and harsh. Obviously quick and thrilling to drive, but I wouldn't know. So, I haven't seen any threads where Z4M owners can share their feelings and reactions on this topic. Put another way, what do you love and what do you not like about the drive, the handling, and so on? Is it much harder & stiffer than say the 3.0si? Is it a car that may not be so good as a DD in a city with typical "city streets" and their usual bumps and jolts?

This question is coming from someone interested in possibly getting a recently previously owned imola red roadster, but not looking to track the car. As a sort of frame of reference, I currently drive a 2007 335i (E93) and a 2008 Mazda Miata. Thank you for helping me get a better feel for this car while the cold and snow keeps me from trying one myself.

Doug
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

If you compare a sport package 3.0si to an ///M, the si has a more compliant ride, but also has RFT's(unless the previous owner changed) which ride harsher than the non RFT's on the ///M. I don't think the M rides harshly compared to my previous S2K. You have to drive the cars but if you are looking for the sharpest handling Z, the ///M wins hands down IMO. I did not like the handling feel of the si sport I drove, but the M was night and day better.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
It's curious that I find the M to have a more compliant ride than the si that I owned for two years (even with conventional tires.) It generally seems to be somewhat smoother over rough stretches of pavement; this was my wife's impression as well when we test drove them, and after we bought one. We're not talking Cadillac compliant here, just generally less upset by road irregularities - in short, better chassis tuning (I'm comparing coupes here - I can't say whether the same applies to a comparison between roadsters; they give the coupes different steering ratios and (IIRC) final drives, so who knows what else differs between them?) Certainly the steering response is better in the M with the hydraulic assist and the brakes seem to be boosted a bit more - they're wonderfully responsive when used hard, but that first stop in the morning, usually after driving other cars the day before, it's hard not to put it on its nose (with what little dive it has, as well!) In general it's whole setup is sharper and more responsive - it wants to be driven hard.

I wouldn't say that the M is night and day "better", but rather just a different character. The M is quite adequately torquey for DD or traffic use, not much different than the si in that regard and not as good as your 335i, but push it over 5k and thats afterburner territory - plenty of fun when you have the space. I have talked to others who have owned both and there is a reasonable body of opinion that the si is a more satisfactory DD/in town car, though there's no comparison as to which is the better track car (and track toy usually wins out in the long term purchase decision.)

I guess one way to sum it up would be that the si, while being very competent on track or in the canyons, is quite comfortable driving in town and being a "mature adult" while the M lives for the track and canyons but tolerates being in town if it has to.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
daveappen
Rep
Drives: 325i

I'm also interested in feedback on this topic. Primarily the ride quality of the Z4M roadster...

I'm interested in picking up a used Z4M roadster and would use it as a daily driver and also on long road trips. I'm curious about how the owners on this board feel about the Z4M on long extended road trips (with likely stretches of boring straight freeways)...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

I use my Z4M as a DD at the moment. The interior and seating a comfortable on a long ride [450 mi each way to Santa Cruz, no stiffness or discomfort.] The ride can be jolting depending on your tire choice/pressure/suspension setup. Commuting on badly maintained city streets in a Z4 is mostly a drag, cause it's not the best tool for that job.

That said, I mostly carve canyons with the car and today got my second compliment from a sport biker, this guy had worked hard to keep up with me through the really twisty bits of Latigo canyon. We were both grinning by the end of a ten mile run, and he said "I've run with alot of Porches, and that thing's just as fast. Nice job."
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

I love driving the car as my daily driver, but I disagree about the comfort level. I think the seats are very supported for a track car, but are way too thin for long distance commutes. Also, perhaps maybe because I have a big butt, but the lack of lumbar support kills me!

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

I think my M roadster is not that harsh of a ride, my other cars are a Cadillac CTS-v and a Lexus GX 470. Obviously it has to have firmer ride because it is a pure sports car but I was pleasantly surprised after hearing so much about it being a bit harsh. Howvever I will tell you I drove one with 19 inch wheels and lower profile tires and it felt much harsher even with stock suspension. I also test drove a 3.0si sports package and it seemed to have more impact harshness no doubt due to RFT and lower profile tires (the M actually has slightly taller tires with more sidewall). I use the M mostly as a weekend car but it can be used as a DD also I've done it and it is very liveable. I think you'll find the M roadster or coupe to be highly addictive.

Last edited by ZED4Mjjl; 12-27-2009 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
ausherpharmd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Gray Ford Fusion

I've had mine for about 5 months now, and the only thing that took a while to get used to was the feeling of power when you press the gas and the really good shifting. When the only manual car you've driven is a 1990 Jeep Wrangler, it takes a little getting used to.

Now, I love this car. You do feel the bumps in the road, but you aren't jostled around. I just wish there was some great invention to eliminate break dust.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
The Z4M is definitely a more focused car them most modern BMWs.
I had an E90 330i for two years before the M, and the difference is like that of the E90 to a floaty Lexus ES. I bought the Z4M having never driven one. I drove a Z4 3.0 Coupe, and my buddies E46 M3; figured the Z4 with the S54 motor would be exactly what I wanted, and I was right.

But I don't think it's too harsh to daily drive. The only reason I don't drive mine every day is to keep the miles down. My biggest gripe is it gets to be a bit irritating driving in rush-hour traffic; the throttle response is a bit touchy, and this is a car that likes to be fully uncorked. But at the same time, that's one of my favorite things about it. It's not a calm vehicle, it likes to be pushed.
      12-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
I had a z4 and also I have a 08 IR M and the M is the best ride anywhere but would not Recomend if your streets are full of holes or if you got lots of traffic. Just to much power to have it on traffic and is not very comfortable on horible streets. So driving on the city is not a problem if you don't have does 2 conditions above.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
daveappen
Rep

Nice feedback guys. For those that have wives or SO's, how do they feel about the ride quality on road trips? Ultimately, that's what I'm worried about...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
But I don't think it's too harsh to daily drive. The only reason I don't drive mine every day is to keep the miles down.
This is exactly my viewpoint. I have a BMW E46 M3 for daily driver duties to keep commute miles off the Z4 M. Funny thing is, the Z4 M has a much more compliant ride than the M3 so it gets a plus for ride quality while loosing out to practicality. It certainly isn't ride quality or ergonomics that keep me from wanting to drive the Z4 M daily.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveappen View Post
Nice feedback guys. For those that have wives or SO's, how do they feel about the ride quality on road trips? Ultimately, that's what I'm worried about...
Girls find it brutal around town (Chicago potholes), but I've never had a complaint on weekend roadtrips.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
it's a still ride.... but no complaints from the wife.... she gets what the car is about
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

its like riding a cow
      12-28-2009, 01:16 AM   #16
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Wife/no Wife

Quote:
my wife will Not go insede the car if is longer then 2 hours she is tall so she can't extend her legs all the way and she think is to loud lol...... But I really better have that way lol... More time alone and enjoying my ride....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
KenTenn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
My wife thinks the M is as good of, if not a better ride, than my '03 3.0L Z4. No complaints from her except during 90 degree power slides.

As far as a DD, I have an old Mazda as a DD, but I never drive it - I always take the M. Bought it in Aug and have put about 8,000 miles on it - mostly DD miles. Also drove it from Dallas to Nashville and had no complaints about the ride.

ZSCCA Area Rep - TN
www.zscca.org
'06 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #18
NFexec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E91; '12 Z4 35i

OK, then thanks! - as the OP, I'd like to know your experience with maintenance and cost of repairs, and - if you can - how that compares with a 3.0 si Z4?

Doug
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFexec View Post
OK, then thanks! - as the OP, I'd like to know your experience with maintenance and cost of repairs, and - if you can - how that compares with a 3.0 si Z4?

Doug
I doubt that too many people that own "M"'s have much first hand experience with the maintenance costs because most have less than 50k miles on them and thus up to now, the maintenance costs have been absorbed by BMW. However, if you look at replacement cost for standard items like brake components, filters, cooling system items, etc, you will see that these components are roughly double the cost of non M parts. Throw in the valve adjustment every 30k miles and if you plan to keep the car for 5-10 years out of warranty and use is as a DD, you can plan on significantly higher costs.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFexec View Post

Doug
At this point, most people's experience has been with cars under the factory warranty and service plan. Once off the service plan, the major maintenance cost differences is the valve adjustment needed for the M at the Inspections - figure an additional $600 or so - and more expensive brake parts - $250-300 ea for rotors, $150 or so per axle for pads (figure about $1800 for a full brake job on the M vs. maybe $1200 for the si; if you DIY, $1200 in parts vs. $600). Oil changes are more due to the unique oil - 6 x $10-12/qt vs. 7 x $6/qt for the si. As for general repairs, most advice sources generally quote M unique parts as being double the cost of their conventional BMW counterparts.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
daveappen
Rep

How about just general reliability up to this point for your cars? How often have you had maintenance/service done on the car and what were the issues?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #22
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

No issues here other than a rare oil leak where the oil pan was replaced under warranty- my dealer had not seen this in any other S54 car so I assume it was a fluke on my car.

As far as ride and wives/SOs, my wife routinely goes to the mountains with me when we go on various club drives that can vary from 6 hours to 12 hours. After doing these for a year or so in our Lotus Elise, the M feels like a Cadillac to her

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0