ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Commuting with a lowered car

Do any of you commute in the city with a lowered Z4? Today I drove my Zed into Boston for the first time and kept bottoming out repeatedly. I'm on Eibachs/Konis. We have a long highway onramp that people normally do 50 on, but I was bottoming out going 30 on the uneven pavement from road repaving. I had a line of cars tailgating me, so I felt pressured to keep going at least 30 rather than slow down to 15-20mph. There was actually an A6 that was merging onto the ramp from another exit and I heard his tires squeel as he slammed on his brakes to avoid rear ending me. He must've been going at least 60. What do you guys do when you're going half the speed limit holding up traffic to slow down for speed bumps and such? Do you go 30 below the limit or just keep bottoming out to avoid causing road rage behind you?

As you can tell I'm a newbie driving on low cars. First time on a non-stock suspension. Can I do any damage going over these bumps at 50 mph? The bumper doesn't scrape or anything, it's just the shocks that bottom out and make a loud clunking noise that makes me grimace.

I can drive over these just fine:

It's these that make me grimace when I drove over them at 30mph:

Last edited by Twixboy; 10-20-2015 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Sounds like you're too low or maybe have something going on with the shocks. Did you DIY? Is the sound coming from the front or back? I'd check the rear shock mounts, and also make sure the bump stop/bumper were re-used from the OE hardware

If the problem is being too low, you might be able to find some evidence of rubbing on the tires.

Edit - just saw the pics, sheesh I'd avoid that even in my SUV

Last edited by yousefnjr; 10-20-2015 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
Honestly if the roads are that bad I'd advise to stay away from driving it in those areas.
Ever since I put my coilovers on and dropped it I've had to retire my car from daily driving, I refuse to go anywhere near city centers. I will do the work commute when the weather is nice since I know the roads and they aren't bad but other than that trips to and from the track mostly.
K66 ///M1000RR - Competition
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Sounds like you're too low or maybe have something going on with the shocks. Did you DIY? Is the sound coming from the front or back? I'd check the rear shock mounts, and also make sure the bump stop/bumper were re-used from the OE hardware

If the problem is being too low, you might be able to find some evidence of rubbing on the tires.

Edit - just saw the pics, sheesh I'd avoid that even in my SUV
I had a shop install it. I think the sound is coming from the back, but it's hard to tell in the roadster cabin. I really wish I had someone more experienced who is local and could take my car for a ride to see if something seems off. Maybe I could find a general BMW meet - there are probably lots of 1 and 3 series owners in the Boston area.

I had Rogue Engineering RSMs installed and told the shop to replace any common wear items. Do the Koni yellows come with a bump stop that the shop might've installed instead of re-using OEM? Here's a list of what the shop replaced:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonblitz View Post
Honestly if the roads are that bad I'd advise to stay away from driving it in those areas.
Ever since I put my coilovers on and dropped it I've had to retire my car from daily driving, I refuse to go anywhere near city centers. I will do the work commute when the weather is nice since I know the roads and they aren't bad but other than that trips to and from the track mostly.
I usually just drive it to the suburban rail station and take the train into work, but today I decided to drive all the way in just to see how it goes. I don't remember bottoming out this often when I was on the stock M sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Not sure what comes with the Koni's, I can't remember off the top of my head if the dust boots cover the bump stops or not, you might have to take the wheel off to tell if they're there.

Also, consider swapping to non-RFT's if you haven't already. Roads like that aren't doing you any favors, and it could very well be that everything is installed but the stiffness is just too much. I feel like the clunking you're hearing means this isn't the case, but I dunno... That road looks pretty beat up.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
I've always taken on speed bump, driveways, etc at an angle and slow, has worked out just fine...as far as when roads are getting milled...I stop turn around and search for an alternate road
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 Roadster

I was driving through downtown Dallas this morning on the way to work and was crossing an intersection where there are train tracks. I always go real slow over known rough spots and worry about getting rear-ended while doing so. Anyhow, this morning as I am going slow and bumping through the intersection an old lady in a Prius blows her horn behind me. LOL - old cow - horn blows ...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I assume bottoming out means you are dragging - not slamming into the bottom of your shocks - correct?

I went with the H&R and the Bilstein combo. While I love the ride and body roll, mine was a shade too low in the rear for me as well. I took the 5mm pads out and added in the 15mm pads and that raised it up just enough to allow me not to drag going into my garage and on my gravel drive. May help you?

Also - can you look under and make sure you do not have anything hanging down? When I bought my car, the PO must have hit a decent sized rock at high speed and it wedged into the skid plate. I dug it out (did not hurt anything) and hammered the skid plate up and that got rid of a occasional drag I would get on the driveway. I never noticed it till I was under changing my oil and spotted it. May require you to get under to check. Probably not your issue, but worth a look next time you are under there.

Those roads do look shit though.
      10-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
an3ony
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNy View Post
I've always taken on speed bump, driveways, etc at an angle and slow, has worked out just fine...as far as when roads are getting milled...I stop turn around and search for an alternate road
+1 on both counts, New England roads are merciless on wheels and suspension parts
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

I feel your pain, I have about a 1.5 inch drop with the H&R springs i'm on and I know there are certain roads I just can't go on. While I love the way the car looks and sits on the road, I like to get lost up north. And I pucker up when I see an unfamiliar bump up ahead. I will be going back to stock this spring. All told, it's just not worth it for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #11
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just park it at the train station and remove all of the angst about the roads.

I live 0.61 miles from work. I can walk in 13 minutes or ride my bike and get there in 3:40 if I ride slow.

I don't want door dings or worse from bad drivers here in Orlando.

Take the train because that road looks terrible, so save yourself the worry.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 12:03 AM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The problem with public transport is it usually starts where you're not and goes where you don't wanna be.
      10-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #13
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just to be clear, that road isn't the one I actually drove over but looks exactly the same. They are constantly milling down roads and the new pavement is often a couple inches higher. They usually put up a sign at the beginning of road work that says "Road Work - pass at your own risk". I think I've learned my lesson - I'll just take my truck into the city from now on even though it's a pain to park.

I stayed in a hotel the past 3 nights and when the valet pulled my Z4 up to the curb this morning I must say it looked really low after not seeing it for a while. Definitely much lower than any other car I saw driving around the city the past few days.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #14
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
The problem with public transport is it usually starts where you're not and goes where you don't wanna be.
I'm actually the opposite. I live in the boonies so I need to leave my house 45 min before the train departs, but it stops close to my office in the city.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #15
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Can always try getting a lift kit like the high end cars.

http://www.ramliftpro.com/index.html
      10-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #16
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

My z4 on coilovers is an absolute nightmare on jointed concrete roads and downtown Houston city streets. I quit daily driving the z4 because of the roads. You basically just recognize the bad areas / lanes / potholes and do your best to avoid the areas in the future
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #17
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I am surprised at the number of people that lower their car or change the suspension to the point that their answer to the problem is to stop driving the car and/or take public transportation.

Maybe consider something more practical for where you live and what you want to deal with.

Seems like a woman with really high heals that no longer wants to leave the house.
      10-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #18
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I am surprised at the number of people that lower their car or change the suspension to the point that their answer to the problem is to stop driving the car and/or take public transportation.

Maybe consider something more practical for where you live and what you want to deal with.

Seems like a woman with really high heals that no longer wants to leave the house.
LOL, I like that analogy. I hope no one is slamming their car if it's their only car though. That woman should also have sneakers so she's not stuck in the house, just like anyone who customizes their car should have a backup car for winter or camping trips.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #19
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

This is why I don't have coilovers and a splitter.
As much as I would love to.
      10-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #20
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
This is why I don't have coilovers and a splitter.
As much as I would love to.
You can tell us the real reason, it's okay. It's because your old bones won't cooperate, right? It's probably already pretty tough getting out of a regular Z4M at your age

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #21
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

<rant>I don't get why people associate coilovers in general with cars lowered beyond the limits of practicality, or for that matter even optimal suspension geometry for best handling. If you take a sports car that already is compromised in terms of clearance from the factory and lower it beyond practical limits, you end up with a car you are afraid to drive. And this same car will actually not handle much better than stock on a track when driven at 8/10ths because the suspension geometry and/or spring rates are likely not optimal either.</rant>

To OP, your shocks are likely bottoming out and you are hitting the bump stops. This is most likely because your springs are not stiff enough for the much reduced travel on lowering springs. If you are on Koni Yellow adjustable shocks, you can try to increase the rebound damping and that will improve things a bit but the ride will start to get harsh pretty fast as well. If my theory is correct, you will still bottom out though less often. The next thing you may want to consider, if you like to drive your car and need to drive it, is getting a set of stiffer and taller springs. This will remove your clearance issue, your bottoming out issue and improve ride and handling. But you will not get approval from the stance crowd.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #22
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
You can tell us the real reason, it's okay. It's because your old bones won't cooperate, right? It's probably already pretty tough getting out of a regular Z4M at your age

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Well, I will turn 55 next week, so yea, there's that, too.