ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-10-2023, 03:48 PM   #1
GrayZ4MCoupe
Rep
Drives: E86 M Coupe

Exclamation Replaced battery, but still getting ABS, Brake, & Traction lights flashing

Hey all -

I read through a bunch of the posts here and found that many people had issues with the ABS, Brake, & Traction control lights flashing while driving. I found many that said that replacing the battery fixed their issue.

I replaced my battery today (old one was 3 years old) and then took it for a spirited drive. Everything seemed great and then 15 mins into the drive saw the lights flashing again. This time, they also had the battery light illuminate.

I brought it into my garage and while the battery light was illuminated, I hooked up my Autel code scanner and noticed that the ECU was reporting approx. 12 - 12.2v while the car was on. I replaced my alternator voltage regulator a few weeks ago when I saw something similar and then after that the voltage was showing 14 - 14.5V when turned on.

Could it be anything else or am I looking at a complete alternator replacement? If so, can you point me to the suggested one (non-OEM)?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 05:01 PM   #2
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Any fault codes that they list here? https://modulemaster.com/products/bm...0e-abs-rebuild
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2023, 05:16 PM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
If you're still seeing under 13v with the engine running after replacing the voltage regulator and battery, then it's the alternator itself. Valeo, I believe is the only one you can buy brand new. All others, including OE BMW alternator, are remanufactured.
      04-10-2023, 09:52 PM   #4
GrayZ4MCoupe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Any fault codes that they list here? https://modulemaster.com/products/bm...0e-abs-rebuild
No, none of those codes exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
If you're still seeing under 13v with the engine running after replacing the voltage regulator and battery, then it's the alternator itself. Valeo, I believe is the only one you can buy brand new. All others, including OE BMW alternator, are remanufactured.
Thanks. I ordered one from RockAuto that's made by Valeo for $286 along with a new accessory belt.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 03:33 PM   #5
GrayZ4MCoupe
Rep

I just wanted to update this thread. I replaced my Alternator with the Valeo unit at RockAuto and the lights went away.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 1
Reborn_292.00