ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-08-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Just finished with a MASSIVE detail.

Hey all,

I'd thought I'd share with you the results of my first massive detail on my relatively new Mcoupe, and what I learned along the way.

The process:
Step 1: two bucket wash
Step 2: clay the entire car
Step 3: Paint correction: Using a porter cable XP, with a 4in orange cutting pad
I used/tried a number of different products including:
poorboy's ssr2,
Pinnacle XMT #2,
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #83,
Meguiars Scratch X 2.0.

In general, I found that the two Meguiars products did a far better job at removing swirls and many light scratches and could accomplish most of the correction with only one or two passess. The poorboy's and Pinnacle seemed to frequently require more than one pass.

Step 4: using PC and white pad, Klasse AIO
this stuff was great, super easy on and off, really brought out the shine

Step 5: this was the killer: 4 coats of Klasse paint sealant
first three coats I applied by hand with a microfiber applicator. At the end of the third coat I had some very light streaking that led to minor hollograming. This was despite my best efforts at applying thin coats and removing with a damp (speed detailer and water) flat micro towel then buffing with a dry towel.
On the 4th coat I applied using the PC and a gray foam pad. I again buffed with a damp flat micro fiber and then buffed with a clean cloth. This resulted in perfect looking paint!!!!

If I were to do it again, I'd consider doing all coats with the PC despite the recommendation by autogeek to apply by hand.

Step 6: final top coat of P21s carnuba past wax using a blue 6in foam pad. I initially put too much on, and boy was it hard to get buffed clean.

the results: Note before and after were taken with a different camera and at adifferent time of day. Pics are cropped and have very little modification to the contrast, exposure, etc.

Before: (the day I brought her home)

AFTER:

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Nice!!!!
      09-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

Great job!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

looks GREAT!
      09-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Massive detail

VERY NICE.
I did basically the same process (except for the last 3 coats) but I used different products. I'll need to try that.
Buffing without using the PC is WORK! I hand to quit doing the "apply by hand" thing too. And did you notice that most of the products say to use very little product? "Most people use too much product". It's true... isn't it?
I need to post my pics.

great job!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks guys for the vote of confidence. It was a ton of work, but well worth it.

I learned a lot going through the process. The first and most important is as you said, less is more regarding the amount of product to use. I barely buttered the pad with the carnuna...and it was still too much the first time around.

If anyone decides to use the klasse sealent and want's to do so by hand, make sure to use a foam applicator and not a microfiber. I think the articulations from the mf is what caused the light streaking.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
WOW. Looks really good! I did a sealant/wax on my Z by hand and it was a lot of work. I can imagine doing a 3rd waxing by hand. WHEW. It's threads like these that always keep me motivated to really keep the car clean with a good coat of paint protection on it as often as I can!

I'm always a little hesitant to open a thread with "MASSIVE" in the title, though.

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's

Last edited by bhoch; 09-09-2010 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: typonese...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
I'm always a little hesitant to open a thread with "MASSIVE" in the title, though.
yeah probably not the best choice of words. It was late, what can I say....I was recently reading an article online about our quarter back at Mizzou. the head line was something like "Gabbert braces for Massive load.."

At least my title wasn't that suggestive..haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

^

you can really tell the difference between the first picture and the last three. the car just LOOKS shinier. I hate driving this car dirty. When I got back from Austin this past weekend, my front bumper was COVERED in bugs. Tis the quarterly month for my good polish-n-wax. Cant' wait...
      09-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Looks great. After seeing your detail, I looked at my car and decided that it was time for the quarterly treatment. I too used Klasse, but used a red foam applicator pad on the RO. It makes sure you leave a light coat behind that is easily removed with the polish remover pad on the RO.
      09-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! I like how you can pretty much read "stop" backwards in the first pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
I hate driving this car dirty. When I got back from Austin this past weekend, my front bumper was COVERED in bugs. Tis the quarterly month for my good polish-n-wax.:
I know what you mean, it's been all of 5 days since I finished. Have driven her 3 times and she is already dusty. It just kills me, I want to wash her again this weekend, but I fear my girlfriend might commit me!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps View Post
Looks great. After seeing your detail, I looked at my car and decided that it was time for the quarterly treatment. I too used Klasse, but used a red foam applicator pad on the RO. It makes sure you leave a light coat behind that is easily removed with the polish remover pad on the RO.
Thanks! Glad I could motivate someone to treat their car to a good detail. It's so worth it in the end. I'll have to try the red pad this winter....
Appreciate 0