ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Resonator Delete - Anyone Do It?

My 2007 Coupe is now a little over a year old and I'm seriously in need of another mod/project....a junkie in need of a fix, or two, or three.... Overall I like the quality of the exhaust sound but would like a little more volume. Following several of the threads on this subject, it sounds like a good way to go. Unfortunately, no one has posted who has actually done this. So my question is: Has anyone done this, and if so, what are your impressions? Thanks.
      12-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

I have mine off. It took a couple of days to get used to it, but now I love it. I have heard that it sounds awful with the stock muffler though. Get the universal magnaflow and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

What resonator are you guys talking about?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
What resonator are you guys talking about?
Between the headers and the muffler there is an inline resonator for each of the two exhaust tubes.
      12-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Hm, i think i know which one you guys are talking about it kind of droops down and looks like an upside down T? What do you block it off with after you pull it off? Looks like air would just dump out if you pull it? Any pics?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
jra
Captain
Rep

It actually looks like a second muffler after the exhaust manifold. An exhaust shop will just fit and weld in two pieces of pipe
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
MTHEORY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 Porsche GT2

If you are going to mod the exhaust, don't do it until you can buy quality. chopping up the stock exhaust still leaves you with those two nasty, heavy, balloon looking mufflers with the undersized tips. Go with the Supersprint powerloop Cat-back setup. It sounds great and the tips are big and shiny. I've had it for over a year and it really makes a difference. There are other systems out there like eisenmann and tubi which I hear are also good, but more expensive than the SS setup. Stay away from mufflers designed for Ford Mustangs (V-8) like the magnaflow.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
jra
Captain
Rep

I think that's an unfair statement. magnaflow = BMS exhaust, and I don't think many people would knock the BMS system. Are there better systems? Yes, but for $100 or so the magnaflow is a great alternative to the $1,000.00 plus rear box systems. btw another great mod is the helene filter. Also M's are in a whole other category so apples to oranges you know
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 02:15 AM   #9
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Oh right EXHAUST RESONATORS. I was thinking intake resonators. Fail...I know what you guys are talking about now
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHEORY View Post
If you are going to mod the exhaust, don't do it until you can buy quality. chopping up the stock exhaust still leaves you with those two nasty, heavy, balloon looking mufflers with the undersized tips. Go with the Supersprint powerloop Cat-back setup. It sounds great and the tips are big and shiny. I've had it for over a year and it really makes a difference. There are other systems out there like eisenmann and tubi which I hear are also good, but more expensive than the SS setup. Stay away from mufflers designed for Ford Mustangs (V-8) like the magnaflow.
Mtheory, thanks for the info on the supersprint, but my interest is in a setup for a 3.0Si and not an M. I have found a fair amount of info for the M cars, but unfortunately it doesn't help me with my application, to many differences between the cars. thanks again.
      12-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Has anyone taken the secondary cats out? I am planning on doing this to my new m roadster the same day I get it