ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
So, I have had the car for 4 weeks - my thoughts.

As I have had the car for about 4 weeks now, I thought I would share my thoughts on my new to me 2007 Z4.

Size - It's perfect for me. - I came from a C5 Vette and the Z is about 2 feet shorter and a couple of inches narrower. I like the size of it a lot more then the size of the Vette.

Seats are excellent. There is plenty of room in it for "She who must be obeyed" and I when we are out and it's great for my daily commmute.

All gauges are easy to read, lights are great and all of the controls seem to be perfectly placed. Radio - right there, HVAC controls; check, Cruise - yep. got that too. Heated seats.. well, I'll be putting them to good use in a few months! Top goes up and down pretty quickly.

Radio is fine - needs SAT, but otherwise is OK for my needs. CD's play fine, stations come in fine, controls on steering wheel are way cool.

Seems easy to shift, clutch is very light and easy to use.

Visibility is fine out the rearview and side mirrors and out the front. There is a rather large blind spot if your trying to back out of a parking space (so always pull in.. easy fix) or if you stop at a intersection where the road angles. so, you must be aware of that and drive accordingly.

Exterior - should come with a stubby. Lines on the car are nice. I like the big ass and long hood. Also like the short doors. I have the sport suspension and I still think it could be "slightly" lower but not sure I want to do that as it could start to scrape over stuff then.

Entry/exit for me is very easy. I imagine it could be harder if your 6'4"+ though.

Driving - the 3.0si pickup is fine - the M must be a blast! I have 4:10 gears in mind once the warranty is up. Speed in the car is very smooth, don't really tell that your cruising along about 100 unless you look down at the speedo . It's quiet enough for me and the misses. Would not mind slightly more intake/exhaust noise, but do not really want it much louder. With the top down, it's NICE. Wind does not bother me at all. Wife says the wind screen (lexan) that I put on prevents her hair from blowing forward - thus she likes it more - so top can be down more often.. sounds like the best deal to me.

First gear seems to be really short. Just need to get used to the1 -2 shift, for some reason I seem to not be too GOOD at that (notchy, or I just don't seem to be smooth when I make that shift some times.).

Handling is excellent. Slow speed turning is really a lot better then the Vette was and it hugs the road really well at speed! Sport suspension is perfect to me - but I like the ride to be firm (rode bikes for years and really like that type of fast suspension inputs).

So, car is a blast. I'm extremely happy with it and I expect to enjoy it more once I understand it's driving characistics more.

Sport mode should be the default ( or at least programmable to be the default)

What I may do to it over time (years)

Looks:
Black out the front grills.
Blackout all of the emblems (maybe.. sometimes I think that the BMW emblems look best the original colors) But Black and Red emblems would look Nice with a black car with red interior.
Black wheels with a red accent

Drive line: (once warranty is out)
4:10 gears
CAI (probably - maybe before warranty is out if BMW has aftermarket that they sell/install/warranty, etc..
Catback (maybe) depends on what it does to noise. I may not do this as most of the times it's really an aggressive difference and.. well, my last car with Cammed, headers, etc.. and it was LOUD.
Maybe a more aggressive tune (if there is one for these engines)

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

It's a very sophisticated engine and it already has a "CAI". Removing the factory airbox will only get you less horsepower and a bunch of engine fault codes.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
cool so it's good to go the way it is.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
yea, in regards to mods if you're going to drop in new gears, make sure it's got a limited slip as well. in regards to headers, only real option is supersprint and its really pricey, around $1600 and you still have to figure out how to avoid the CEL. and not to mention it won't mate up with the oem cats so you'll need the shop to put in an adapter.

there's currently a tune out there but honestly if you have the 6spd, that plus sport is enough. on the n52 (128/328 or 325i) the gains are decent but the n52 (330i, 3.0si) gains are minimal.

and like the person above said, i've yet to find a cai that actually performs better than stock. i've seen conflicting info on the afe intake from 2 diff dynos (one shows gains, one shows loss of power - both from a m5).
      09-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
Thanks for the replies and info. I have a lot of time before I would consider doing any performance (engine/driveline) type mods any way and I have plenty of time to really research and change my mind a few dozen times. I like the idea of headers/exhaust/cai less and less as I hear from folks and read previous posts - to the point of leave it the way it is.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Nice write-up.

I considered a Vette when shopping for my Z4M, but kept thinking it was just a bit too big.
As for the 1-2 shift... it's notchy and takes some getting used to on all Z4's. Just don't rush it, and almost exaggerate the steps. Once in 2nd it's all smooth sailing!

If you decide to do exhaust, Remus is known for being one of the least aggressive (in terms of loudness/drone) options for BMWs.
      09-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Interesting observations coming from a 'Vette owner--I totally agree on the size aspect.

I had a chance to drive the new GS last fall. It was damn good; shifter and clutch were excellent; interior was, well, meh; brakes were excellent and steering feel was better than I expected. Certainly a car worth considering, especially used. But man, for a car that weighs the same as the Z4 it felt HUGE. Not that it isn't a great machine, I just pretty the razor responsiveness and compactness of the Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
As for the 1-2 shift... it's notchy and takes some getting used to on all Z4's. Just don't rush it, and almost exaggerate the steps. Once in 2nd it's all smooth sailing!
There's no rule that says you have to use all the gears. I often go from 1st to 3rd or from 3rd to 5th, skipping 2nd and/or 4th gear.
Appreciate 0