ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
'03 Roadster top issues, not motor related

Ok. I've done some exhaustive searching, but haven't had any luck. The top on my 2003 Roadster will not retract nor go up if down. I am not getting anything from the switch on the console; no lights and no movement from the top when pushed. The top will sometimes go up and down using the key in the door, but even this is hit or miss. When it doesn't work, the windows won't roll down 1/2 way like normal, and there is a slight noise that can be heard, like the process want's to start, but something is preventing it. I have checked the switch in the boot related to the tray movement, and it is fine (checked with a tester) and have jumped the plug that attaches to the switch with no resolution. Could there be something related to a sensor somewhere that is causing this, or maybe the switch in the console? I have tried pushing the release at the top of the console, and sometimes this will allow it to go up with the key.
The motor was replaced two summers ago, and leaking lines at the motor were repaired last summer. This seems electrical in nature, and not motor/pump related. Any ideas or experience with this?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

Did you check the fuse? Also any relays? When you say you use the key in the door does that mean you're getting it down manually or sometimes it works? It sometimes it works then it wouldn't be a fuse, but it does sound like a short somewhere. I would say check all the wired around the pump but that wouldn't explain the window problem. The only thing after all those are checked would be the control unit
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, this behavior is leading me to believe that it is some sort of control module issue. Now, along with no center column button actuation, the key-in-door only makes the windows go up or down all the way, not the 1/2 way when the top raising/lowering is initiated. So, I have no controls from the center column buttons, and the key also does not start the process. Also, I've checked fuses in the fuse box behind the glove box, and they are good.
Any ideas as to where the top control module is located? Again, searches have been done, but I've not had any luck yet.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok quick update. I decided to order a new soft top control module (CVM IV) and start there with the trouble-shooting. I received the new module yesterday, and pulled the vent and speaker grille off to get to the module. It's held in with a 10mm plastic nut on a stud, so that was removed. When I pulled the module out, I noticed that the largest connector stayed in the compartment where the module sits, and only the small connector was attached. After re-seating the large connector (it clicked into place) the top functioned perfectly, and has continued to do so.

CVM IV is A96 in the above image (courtesy of Shipkiller's website)
Evidently, the connector was either left loose when the top motor/pump was replaced, or may have never been seated properly when it left assembly in South Carolina. Mueller944s2 was sorta right on both counts.
I'm going to wait a few days just to be sure, but it seems like that gremlin is taken care of.
Appreciate 0