ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #23
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Disconnect your positive cable and connect a jumper cable from your battery to the front of your car and see if the car starts. If it does, then your positive cable needs to be replaced. Make sure to properly hook up the jumper cable negative ends also.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #24
themenacedesigns
Rep
Drives: 06 z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignosejim View Post
Disconnect your positive cable and connect a jumper cable from your battery to the front of your car and see if the car starts. If it does, then your positive cable needs to be replaced. Make sure to properly hook up the jumper cable negative ends also.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give this a try and report back.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #25
themenacedesigns
Rep

Auto Scandia has suggested replacing the ignition switch and seeing if that fixes the issue. They are going to replace it at no cost.

I will report back if that corrects issue. They will install it in the morning and then I will pick the car back up same day and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #26
themenacedesigns
Rep

Ignition switch was replaced and did not correct issue. Literally last night when I went to pickup vehicle after hours grabbed key under floor mat and same issue.

Next will try what bignosejim suggested and disconnect positive cable from rear battery and use a jumper cable to connect rear battery positive cable to positive front terminal and try and start the vehicle.

Will post update probably on Monday. This is an intermittent issue normally after car sits for a few hours so I will need to wait for it to occur to test this theory out.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #27
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Any update??
      01-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #28
themenacedesigns
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Any update??
None yet I do not have a jumper cable long enough to reach from the rear to the front posts go figure lol dropping it back with Auto Scandia Monday though coming up. I did notice over this past weekend and the start of this week when it was below 30 degrees each day the car fired right up. On Wednesday I believe that was the first day where the temp recently was above that 30 degrees and was around 50 or so the car wouldn't start and I had to jump it. Yesterday was 65 and same thing had to jump it under the hood. Weird that 4 days in a row under 30 degree temp absolutely no start issue but as soon as the temp got above freezing immediately right back to start issues.

Side note I am currently having drive ability issues under acceleration feeling loss of power and limp mode type symptoms. Was hoping I didn't need to replace the fuel pump but it is looking like I will end up having to do it 8( So annoyed with all the recent issues. I guess it would be great if the dying fuel pump is confirmed and it also fixes the no start issues but not sure if they would even be related.

For the second time after driving it hard yesterday with the nice weather went to start it up this morning and once again it threw a lot of crazy lights and the engine was idling rough and the RPMs were jumping up and down -______- Ill upload a video of it. Last time this happened after letting it sit for several hours on next start up it resumed normal idle and the lights went away on their own and didn't return until my latest spirited drive yesterday.

Last edited by themenacedesigns; 01-13-2017 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:24 AM   #29
habitat412
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Depending on how the rear accident was maybe a wire back there got slightly cut or messed up causing non consistent starts and ability to keep a charge??? Just a theory.
Appreciate 0