ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Hit and Run - Rear Bumper Advice

I was in my Z4MR sitting in the left lane at a red traffic light. In front of me was a mail truck waiting to turn left. A lady behind me saw traffic moving to her right when the light turned green, and pressed on the gas. Unfortunately, the mail truck and I hadn't moved.

Two women stepped out of the car and immediately began telling me it wasn't bad, and would I please not call the police. I looked at the damage, and I could probably buff out some of the damage, but then I noticed it had split the bumper in one area and created a depression in another. My license tag took some of the damage.

I was really debating just letting it go. I noticed liquid coming from under their car. I thought initially they had damaged their radiator, and that's when the smell hit me. They were pouring beer out on the street, and it was running under the car. I told them I was calling the police. While I was waiting, I started gathering my information, and bent down to reach for my insurance card in the glovebox, and when I raised my head, I did so just in time to see them driving away. Luckily, I got their tag. A few hours later, the police had found them and charged them with hit and run, driving with a revoked license, and driving without insurance.

So, here's the question. If you were me, would you spend the money on a new rear bumper, or would you spend the money instead on repairing the relatively minor damage to the rear bumper, and while at it, touch up my fangs on the front, and respray both, killing two birds with one stone.

Can anyone tell me what kind of repair material is used for our M bumpers? Is it a type of epoxy?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #2
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

If you went for your insurance card the same way from your profile picture, they might have stayed? Lol jokes aside.

Can't tell what to do if we don't see how damaged it is. But glad you tagged them man!
SaltyNC369.50
      10-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
Mike_Z4M
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Repair the bumper and Respray both bumpers!
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

That sucks Salty but good that it wasn't any worse.
Are you thinking of prepping the bumper yourself?
If so, some of the info here might help....
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Do you have uninsured motorist on your policy? If you do and the deductible is reasonable, I'd claim it.

Regardless I would replace the bumper, especially if there's clear split and depression, which would suggest to me the damages are far more than just the bumper skin. If I'm not mistaken, there's high density foam underneath the rear bumper skin, and if that's depressed you should replace that too.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #6
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry to hear about this Salty. I hope you are back rollin soon.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

This sucks - I'm glad you were not injured in this incident and hope your car is restored to your satisfaction without too much trouble.

Would it be practical to try and recover the full repair costs directly from these two highly irresponsible people, or would that be an exercise in frustration and futility? If pursuing this is not practical, some good advice above.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #8
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Darn Salty, hope you get this sorted mate. Glad your ok.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      11-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #9
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

As your car is a somewhat dark color I would replace the cover. I think you're more likely to notice any irregularities in the repaint and you'd always be looking at it.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      11-11-2016, 01:24 AM   #10
Mike_Z4M
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

My friend had his bumper repaired by a "bumper only guy" they used fiberglass and very very light bondo, a point where the chances of cracking was low. I don't know what resources you have, but these guys made it PERFECT. If you can't find someone to do it the same way, I would replace it, just to avoid cracking in the future.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      11-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

I have a bumper in your color. In good condition. let me know if you want to try and work something out.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      11-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
EMP07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Agree with Hack.

Replace. The labor costs may come close to a new bumper and it will never be "new". GL
      03-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
jafxdwg
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 3.0si Artic White with Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
That sucks Salty but good that it wasn't any worse.
Are you thinking of prepping the bumper yourself?
If so, some of the info here might help....
I followed inTgr8r's bumper repair advice and am eternally thankful to him for all his tech assistance via his posts.
I picked up a bumper repair kit which included all the proper adhesives and fillers for a repair on a flexible bumper.
I also used adhesion promoter and flexy primer designed for this sort of repair.
I got all my supplies from Parts Source (a subsidiary of Canadian Tire) but I expect any auto supply like Napa has the same stuff.

After my experience I would stay away from fibreglass unless your bumper is made from fiber.

Cheers and good luck.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2425.50
      10-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #14
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Everyone that provided helpful advice after I was tapped from behind, a very belated heartfelt thank you. I guess I was really disappointed after this happened and kind of went into a funk. I just ran across my old post and all the nice comments and saw no reply from me, and was thinking who the heck is that guy for not responding.

So, thank you all very much. I still haven't fixed the bumper. I have a random orbital buffer and detailing supplies, so buffed off "their" paint, and even though the rear bumper has a couple of small cuts, it's not very visible. I will likely replace the rear bumper but use the helpful advice from Ian to touch up my fangs and other minor nicks on my front bumper, and have them both repainted.

Thanks again, guys! You're the best.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Glad you got their tag # and were able to call it in and have them apprehended. Same thing happened to me in December 2013. Two "partying young women", the driver with her cell phone at 12 oclock over the steering wheel texting, ran into the back of me at a red light that turned green as I was stopped, waiting to turn, and sitting in the far left turn lane. I wasn't so lucky ...... they saw an opening in the middle lane that goes straight ahead, and fled the scene. Traffic was thick and I could not get their tag. I have uninsured motorist coverage and my company paid to replace my trunk lid, which was damaged beyond repair.

Just re-painted my fangs myself. Taped everything off and did them in a satin black. Doesn't look too bad...... looks a lot better than the scraped up mess they were prior to sanding and paint.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50
      10-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #16
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Glad you got their tag # and were able to call it in and have them apprehended.

Just re-painted my fangs myself. Taped everything off and did them in a satin black. Doesn't look too bad...... looks a lot better than the scraped up mess they were prior to sanding and paint.
Thanks, Antennahead. Sorry you experienced a similar situation with the hit and run.

Salty
Appreciate 1