ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

eBay CF Engine Cover (Positive Experience)

I just received my CF engine cover via FedEx today that I purchased from an eBay retailer located in California. I was a bit hesitant at first about the purchase due to some horror stories I had read from other members regarding poor quality or fitment of covers from various companies, but I figured I'd give this one a try.

Overall I'm very pleased with the cover I received. The 2x2 weave is perfect, the clear coat looks quality, and it just looks good.

I did have to expand the mounting holes just a smidgen in order to get them to fit, but in my case it didn't even require a drill/dremel or any kind of power tool. I simply grabbed a hex key slightly larger in diameter than the existing holes, pushed it in, and then spun it a bit to open the holes up. After that, all it took was putting the cover on, lining the holes up, and applying some firm pressure, and the cover went into place. Took all of 5 minutes.

Considering that this cover looks good, fits decently enough, ships for free within the US, and only cost $103 I highly recommend it, if you're considering getting a cover.

Here is the link to the eBay ad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191886814003?redirect=mobile

And some pics showing my cover after install. It looks pretty good with the eVenturi intake, I think. And one day will look even better next to a CF airbox.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Now you need to get the M-Badge to finish the look of the cover. I think that can be found on Ebay too............
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer
Now you need to get the M-Badge to finish the look of the cover. I think that can be found on Ebay too............
Yeah, I just had to wait for it to arrive first to see what size badge will fit in the indention. Apparently some companies don't make it large enough to accept the standard sized engine badge.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Please let us know what badge you end up with. I may pick one up too if it fit as well as you've described
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 05:50 AM   #5
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal
Please let us know what badge you end up with. I may pick one up too if it fit as well as you've described
Will do. I ordered a set of replacement badges from BMWDecals.com a couple weeks ago, should arrive any day. I got the black/grey ones with the matte black M, 82mm x 32mm, so hopefully that size will work. If not, I'll have to shop around some more in order to stick with my color scheme.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
I'm wondering how these carbon fiber pieces and/or badges do in the engine bay heat. Even my OE badge starting to bubble on some of the chrome plated areas
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #7
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
This was just what I was waiting for, great review. I'll be pulling the trigger on this as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #8
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamookie
This was just what I was waiting for, great review. I'll be pulling the trigger on this as well.
Glad I could help, it definitely was worth the $100 to me, even with the small amount of hassle enlarging the mounting holes. Speaking of which, when you (or anyone else) does an install for these, a drill might not be necessary, but would probably be even easier than my method. I just used the hex key because it was what I had on hand at the time, haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #9
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion
Quote:
Glad I could help, it definitely was worth the $100 to me, even with the small amount of hassle enlarging the mounting holes. Speaking of which, when you (or anyone else) does an install for these, a drill might not be necessary, but would probably be even easier than my method. I just used the hex key because it was what I had on hand at the time, haha.
Yeah any mods necessary to the holes sounds straight fwd. Did you spray the back side with a heat resistant coating as mentioned in the thread? Just curious what product you used. Bought mine yesterday. I'll report back on the quality when I get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal
///M badges just arrived from BMWDecals.com, and they fit perfectly on the CF engine cover. 82mm x 32mm is the size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
XMetal1096.50
      07-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #11
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
I received my part today from the same source as No_Dominion. I did have to enlarge every hole to get it to fit but it was pretty easy. Just used a 1/4" drill bit to open them up a bit. Overall I'm happy with the purchase. Can't beat the price and the part was of good quality. We'll see how well it holds up.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #12
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I received my part today from the same source as No_Dominion. I did have to enlarge every hole to get it to fit but it was pretty easy. Just used a 1/4" drill bit to open them up a bit. Overall I'm happy with the purchase. Can't beat the price and the part was of good quality. We'll see how well it holds up.
Glad it worked out for you. Now if only CF pieces for the rest of the engine bay were as inexpensive, haha. I found a supplier on eBay that makes CF coated versions of the radiator cover, windshield washer fluid reservoir cover, oil filter cover, and electronics box cover, but the prices as well as shipping are rather exorbitant.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
Shutterspeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Can you post a link to the EBay item you guys purchased?!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #14
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterspeed
Can you post a link to the EBay item you guys purchased?!
It's in the very first post.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 01:10 AM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Just finished a valve adjustment and was reminded of something.
The stock cover doesn't fit worth a shit either.
If you get a good price on an eBay CF cover but need to Dremel to fit, hey, that's why you bought a Dremel.
Stay Calm and Dremel On!
      06-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #16
Shutterspeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

How the clearcoat on the piece held up so far?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #17
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterspeed View Post
How the clearcoat on the piece held up so far?
Mine still looking good but I haven't put a lot of miles on it since I installed it. Probably not the best data point. Definitely happy with the purchase.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
Shutterspeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamookie View Post
Mine still looking good but I haven't put a lot of miles on it since I installed it. Probably not the best data point. Definitely happy with the purchase.
Mine gets driven maybe once a month on pretty weekends. So it'll be about the same. Definitely considering picking it up soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #19
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

mines been on the car for over 2 years now, pretty much only track days and a club runs. looks as nice as the day i put it on.