ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Uneven Tire Wear ONLY on Left Side?

I run RS-3 255/40-17 square on 17x9. I run -2.8* up front and -2.0* in the rear (I would run more camber up front if possible but the shock towers are already in contact with the nut under the coilover adjuster). Car weighs approx 3200lbs without driver.

Tires have seen approximatey 10-12 track days, most of which were LRP and NJMP (both Light and T-bolt) and I typically run 38psi hot. What I'm trying to figure out is why I have this pattern of uneven tire wear ONLY on the left side of the car. Front right and rear right have slight uneven wear on the inside but it's nothing bad like this:

Front left

Rear left

08-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The blue hue indicates the tire(s) have been near or over their maximum operating temperature. It is not unheard of if some of the tracks you visit have long sweepers in one direction only. For example, since we haven't visited Willow Springs International Raceway in over 2 years, my front right is starting to wear more than the left due to the long, massive banked oval portion of California Speedway (and the 1 day we visit Buttonwillow isn't going to counter that effect).

Since the tires appear directional, I would just mount them inside out and swap left and right every 2-5 events to maintain even wear, especially if the wear is caused by long high speed sweepers in one direction only.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The blue hue indicates the tire(s) have been near or over their maximum operating temperature. It is not unheard of if some of the tracks you visit have long sweepers in one direction only. For example, since we haven't visited Willow Springs International Raceway in over 2 years, my front right is starting to wear more than the left due to the long, massive banked oval portion of California Speedway (and the 1 day we visit Buttonwillow isn't going to counter that effect).

Since the tires appear directional, I would just mount them inside out and swap left and right every 2-5 events to maintain even wear, especially if the wear is caused by long high speed sweepers in one direction only.
The sweeper you'd be referring to is the "bulb" at NJMP Lightning, or other refer to as the "head' LMAO. Stupid question but wouldn't outer edge on the left indicate a left handed sweeper, and not right? Also has anyone ever rotated L <-> R without flipping? Seems like that'd be the best way to even things out...

08-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

right handed sweeper = all weight put on the left wheel/tire. Looks to be about right?

EDIT: Okay, whoever designed that track has a VERY sick sense of humor. Not unlike the dude who designed Auto Club Speedway.

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
right handed sweeper = all weight put on the left wheel/tire. Looks to be about right?

EDIT: Okay, whoever designed that track has a VERY sick sense of humor. Not unlike the dude who designed Auto Club Speedway.

LOL... Btw I take it adding camber won't alleviate this?
      08-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Rotate your daily at the track in a way that moves the most wear to the least wear. That being said, you obviously need more camber on the rear for the track you are driving, and your spring rates. Based on the wear, there is more traction to be gained than you are using.

And it changes as your skills improve. One year, with the same tire, x camber may work, but a year later you are driving faster and will need more camber, stiffer springs, or sway bars to compensate.

This is the fun part of high performance driving: setting up the car for fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
Rotate your daily at the track in a way that moves the most wear to the least wear. That being said, you obviously need more camber on the rear for the track you are driving, and your spring rates. Based on the wear, there is more traction to be gained than you are using.

And it changes as your skills improve. One year, with the same tire, x camber may work, but a year later you are driving faster and will need more camber, stiffer springs, or sway bars to compensate.

This is the fun part of high performance driving: setting up the car for fast.
Thanks, so even if that means rotating tire facing the wrong way you think it's worth it?
      08-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
The blue hue indicates the tire(s) have been near or over their maximum operating temperature..
+1. Especially on RS3s it is a really good sign that you heat cycled out those tires (Most Likely)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Thanks, so even if that means rotating tire facing the wrong way you think it's worth it?
IMO, no.

Find a SCCA or NASA person who does tires, and get discounts and dismount and flip the tires to the other wheels. With the right connections I can do my tires or $10 a tire. $40 to mount, flip, remount and balance.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
No. I will word differently. For example: If you are getting the most wear on the FL and the least RR, than swap those wheels. Also swap the FR's for the LR's. This for me is done everyday at the track. Some people do it every race.

If you do that and fix your camber issue, your tires will wear evenly.

Last edited by seank; 08-29-2013 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0