ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

An R8 is on my short list of replacements, but I too think the interior falls a bit short. At least on the earlier years

Gimme a white 6 speed 8-cyl R8 and ill be happy
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

i love the r8,and enjoy driving it but would not replace for my z4m. there are things i love and dislike about both,but they are on par with one another on a overall rating. the r8 has more uniform power delivery, but doesnt pull as hard as the z4m. the r8 has a light flywheel and revs/blips more freely. the quattro system is not as fun as the z4m rwd with dsc dissabled...hehe. and the seating postion is higher and feels less special compared to the z4m. in terms of performance, they are head to head, i know because i raced my dad lol. the z4m feels faster however and is more exhilarating towards redline. the r8 feels like its missing 1-2k rpm on the redline imo
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #25
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
The interior of the R8 is a travesty. The whole car is lame. You can fix slow with fast but lame is permanent.
Really? I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. I love the interior.
Still looks like a boring Audi to me. But that's like my opinion man.....
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #26
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

R8 IS awesome, but not in the same league as the 458, both in price bracket, performance and rarity. No offense, but lots and lots of R8s in pommy land. I like it, But every man and his dog has one.

I'd take the sls amg over the r8 any day, that roughly in the same bracket.My mate has an r8 v8 and it does go like the clappers, very nice, but way too many around.
Anyways that's my opinion, and they are like arsehole s, everyone has one. ;-)
Opinions that is.

Edit#ok that's not fair either,just checked, sls at least twice the price of r8…

Kid i flew with the other day had a Vantage v12, payed over 100K us for that puppy, yeah nice, but when i asked him what his dad thought of him buying that, he said his old man was stoked, i was thinking 100US for a car like that, id rather spend on a home loan.. but different strokes for diff folks.. he's only 23.. world at his feet, no wife, no kids.. easy to make that work.. good on him

thats the great thing about the zed, its got 4/5ths of the performance of these rather expensive cars, has the same rarity (or better) at only 1/4 of the price tag. Bang for buck baby makes me grin every time i turn the key in the zed.

That and my fave part is by far (besides fanging it), hanging outside a hotel/club/show waiting for the valet to bring my car around, ((whinching every time the guy driving my car stalls it, as they have no idea how to drive stick) and you can hear it coming for a while)) and while me and the misses are standing there (while watching other exotic cars valet'ed come and go) and listening to people talk about the cars that come and go.. everyone loves the lamb's and ferraris, but lots and lots of people comment on the red zed when it pulls up at the valet, and mostly people go, "whats that? , sounds fast, looks very nice.. etc" and then me and the misses go to the front and jump in.. I've had a few enthusiast guys come up at this stage and ask questions about the car… my misses reckons i like that more than driving it.. nearly Candice, nearly, but not exactl.

Last edited by Vanne; 09-19-2014 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #27
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Reminds me of one time when I was driving with an Aston Martin Vantage. We got to the red light, with the Aston in the front. Next to it, there was a yellow bus full of kids. I saw them eyeballing the Vantage with smiles in their faces. As I pull up behind the exotic, they point at my car and their smiles got bigger. They all took their eyes off the Aston and gave me a thumbs up. Felt good, even the Aston driver gave a thumbs up lol.

If I had the money, I'd never buy the R8, I'd buy the Aston or even the Z8 to try and collect all the Z series. Don't get me wrong, I like the R8, but not enough to actually pay the tag. In the pics posted above, the Z4 interior looks WAY better than the R8, in my opinion. But Vanne is right, everyone has one lol
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #28
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

In the realm of uniqueness, and really strong performance, the Z4 holds up over time. It appeals to kids, "guys", and enthusiasts. There are faster cars, "better" cars, but it's unique and appealing.

The wife had almost all of the pickup driving guys who work at the local feed store, and a few ranchers, out asking about her car the other day. All of them loved it. Earlier in the week it was a 997 Turbo owner. Only wanted to talk about the Z. Not once when I owned my Cayman or E92 M3 did I have that experience. But in the Z4? Happens pretty constantly to both of us.

The R8 might be better but it's nice to have a car that my wife and I love and others, across a broad spectrum, seem to like as well. Unlike so designs it's rather timeless and evokes lots of great cars from the past. Not bad for a car, that "used", is less money.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #29
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

The side view of the R8 has always been a bit unattractive to me. They tried to make it better with the sideblades, but it still looks a little off. At least to me. I've driven a V10 R8, awesome engine and gearbox, but almost too sterile. It's almost too perfect. For the money, I'd take a 911 GT3 and never look back.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 07:49 AM   #30
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I can attest to the longevity of the rarity and aesthetic appeal of the Z4C. I currently have a 2014 Cayman S and my Z4C turned more heads than my Cayman does. It is unique and striking in a city (Toronto) that has tons of high end cars.

The Z4C also turned my own head more than the CS does. I often used to take a detour through the garage on my way home to work to catch a glimpse of my Z4C. I never do that with the CS.

I still contemplate a move back into a Z4C...I miss having one. The driving experience isn't at the same level of my CS, but in terms of overall enjoyment of a car I think the Z4C may have the CS beat for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #31
Exist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I feel like the Z4 can appeal to everyone because it's not necessarily a menacing car, and it kind of has those "innocent" qualities. Kind of like looking at a Miata.
      09-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #32
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist View Post
I feel like the Z4 can appeal to everyone because it's not necessarily a menacing car, and it kind of has those "innocent" qualities. Kind of like looking at a Miata.
Not sure what your smoking, but mine Def does not look like a miata. Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #33
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

^haha. agreed.

MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #34
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
i love the r8,and enjoy driving it but would not replace for my z4m. there are things i love and dislike about both,but they are on par with one another on a overall rating. the r8 has more uniform power delivery, but doesnt pull as hard as the z4m. the r8 has a light flywheel and revs/blips more freely. the quattro system is not as fun as the z4m rwd with dsc dissabled...hehe. and the seating postion is higher and feels less special compared to the z4m. in terms of performance, they are head to head, i know because i raced my dad lol. the z4m feels faster however and is more exhilarating towards redline. the r8 feels like its missing 1-2k rpm on the redline imo
I would have to agree on the lack of an absolute performance differential, after having hunt down and passed the V8 version driven by a BMW CCA instructor at NJMP last year (not saying that my car is anywhere near stock). I was nonetheless shocked at how on par they were (as was the guy in the R8)
Appreciate 0