ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0i

Window air leak/improper alignment

I did some research and saw that some people had similar, but not the same, problems as I do. I recently replaced the passenger side window regulator. Ever since, the alignment on my window has been off when fully raised. I also have an air leak somewhere.

I'll start with the alignment. The sticker on the window (one of those stickers that's on the window when you buy the car) used to fully show when the window was fully raised. After I changed the regulator, however, part of the sticker is still inside the door in the fully raised position. When you look at the window from the outside though, nothing seems off. The window looks like it's fully up and against the rubber seal. Any idea how I can fix this? I've read about the adjustment screw accessible from the bottom of the door, but this seems to tilt the window towards/away from the seal. It doesn't address alignment of the window towards the front/rear of the car.

The air leak is self explanatory. I think I begin to hear it at about 25-35 mph. If I pull the window up a little by hand though, the sound is gone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I've already tried the different reinitialization processes.

Last edited by PrinceMiro; 10-08-2013 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

what diy did you use? and there is some kind of reset feature where you hold the window button all the way up or down for like 15 or 30 secs or something to reset it. But thats for when the window doesn't come down that little bit after you close the door, so I"m not sure that would work for you, but you could give it a try. I forget the steps, but I remember a thread that discussed it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitosabe View Post
what diy did you use? and there is some kind of reset feature where you hold the window button all the way up or down for like 15 or 30 secs or something to reset it. But thats for when the window doesn't come down that little bit after you close the door, so I"m not sure that would work for you, but you could give it a try. I forget the steps, but I remember a thread that discussed it.
Yea that's the reinitialization process. There are a few ways to do it and I've tried them all.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I'd re-check to make sure it is installed properly. Might have over torqued some bolts or tightened one down too much before tightening the others which has the whole assembly skewed. Loosen all bolt, then get them all semi tight, then go in for the final torque but they don't need to be "holdawheelon" tight.

Just throwing things out there.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
I'd re-check to make sure it is installed properly. Might have over torqued some bolts or tightened one down too much before tightening the others which has the whole assembly skewed. Loosen all bolt, then get them all semi tight, then go in for the final torque but they don't need to be "holdawheelon" tight.

Just throwing things out there.
Thanks. I guess I'll do that this weekend. I have no problem with taking the door panel and its component off. I just hate removing and reinstalling the foam divider behind the door panel. It's a pain to pull it off the sealant without damaging it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceMiro View Post
Thanks. I guess I'll do that this weekend. I have no problem with taking the door panel and its component off. I just hate removing and reinstalling the foam divider behind the door panel. It's a pain to pull it off the sealant without damaging it.
please do a detailed pic or video DIY,

I'm begging ya!

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
a how-to would be great, I've got a persistent air leak on the driver side which drives me so nuts I refuse to drive the car with the roof up

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The procedures according to the TIS:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Adjusting left or right front door window glass.pdf (343.9 KB, 704 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
The procedures according to the TIS:
I need a ELI5 articulate, descriptive DIY. I'm a bit of a muppet so I need baby instructions and more pics.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point0 View Post
a how-to would be great, I've got a persistent air leak on the driver side which drives me so nuts I refuse to drive the car with the roof up
I have the same thing. If I have to have the top up, I put the window down so I don't have to think about it.
Appreciate 0