ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Which Roadster? M or 3.0si

I'm trying to decide which to get. Seat of the pants says M all the way, logical, conservative brain says 3.0si.

I'd love to get an M, but honestly, I'm pretty nervous about the maintenance and repair costs. I've driven 3 M's and they are just incredible. I've driven one 3.0si w/ a manual and liked it but the conditions weren't as good (traffic and idiot salesman) so the test drive wasn't as much fun. Plus I drove it right after the M. My wife wants me to get the M (believe it or not), because she thinks it will keep me entertained longer, but she's not familiar with the costs involved. I'm afraid if I get the M, the costs will take away from the enjoyment, but on the other hand, will the 3.0si performance be enough to keep me smilin'? As much as I'd like, I won't put either on a track, but I live where there are a lot of fun, twisty back roads. Also, I view this as a long-term car. Would love to keep it for many, many years. Maybe never sell it.

For roughly the same price I can get an M w/ 46k miles on it or a 3.0si w/ around 24k on it.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I went from 3.0si w/sport to M (both coupes) and besides the extra power of the M, the most noticeable difference is the mechanical steering on the M vs the electronic steering on the si. The M steering just feels so much more connected to the road. The si feel more vague. The other major difference is the rear diff when power around turns the M just hooks up so much better where the si can spin the inside wheel too easily. Day to day driving though the si is much more civilized and easier to drive smoothly. For a daily driver, I pick the si, for a fun nice weather car I'd pick the si. I would go drive the si in better road conditions before deciding.Also note there is very little that can be done to get more engine performance from the si engine. The M should hold it's value much better than the si.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I think the maintenance costs for the M are way overstated. Unless you are driving 25K miles a year you won't be doing valve adjustments or replacing brakes very often. Tires are the same cost for both. As the previous poster said, the steering alone makes the M worth the price of admission.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I went from 3.0si w/sport to M (both coupes) and besides the extra power of the M, the most noticeable difference is the mechanical steering on the M vs the electronic steering on the si. The M steering just feels so much more connected to the road. The si feel more vague. The other major difference is the rear diff when power around turns the M just hooks up so much better where the si can spin the inside wheel too easily. Day to day driving though the si is much more civilized and easier to drive smoothly. For a daily driver, I pick the si, for a fun nice weather car I'd pick the si. I would go drive the si in better road conditions before deciding.Also note there is very little that can be done to get more engine performance from the si engine. The M should hold it's value much better than the si.
I went from a 3.0si coupe to an M coupe for precisely these reasons. Well stated.
      11-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

Both are great cars, can't go wrong with either....For the long term "perma grin" get the M! With a good indie mech. and/or a little DIY costs aren't that bad and as previously stated the M will hold it's value better.

P.S. I have never been disappointed stepping up to an M when considering a less "performance" oriented model.
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake

Last edited by mtrhed; 11-15-2013 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

I drive an ///M so guess what I'm going to recommend >>

Don't be scare of the maintenance specially if learning how to work on your own car is something that might spark your interest.

So far I refuse to bring my car to the dealer for maintenance. I learned how to change the oil, trans and diff fluids, motor and trans mounts, euro headers, Inspection I, etc etc on my own and I enjoy doing that as much I enjoy driving it.

So if you have the opportunity to get the best.... then go for it.

I DD my car 14 miles each way at an average speed of 45 mph more or less..... but who cares.... I love the car.

Always listen to your wife if you want a happy life.

>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys, my wife makes a pretty good argument for the M as well. I get bored with cars very easily and this one will probably keep me happy for quite a while.

Any feelings on buying an extended warranty? They don't cover wear items, so there's a lot they don't cover.

I can buy an '07 w/ 52k and add a 6 yr/100k warranty or an '06 w/31k w/out a warranty for about the same price. The '06 just had the service 2 done and just had the convertible top motor replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post
Thanks guys, my wife makes a pretty good argument for the M as well. I get bored with cars very easily and this one will probably keep me happy for quite a while.

Any feelings on buying an extended warranty? They don't cover wear items, so there's a lot they don't cover.

I can buy an '07 w/ 52k and add a 6 yr/100k warranty or an '06 w/31k w/out a warranty for about the same price. The '06 just had the service 2 done and just had the convertible top motor replaced.

6 year warranty is expiring in the next few months if not already, so get the 06

FWIW my 3.0i wasn't much cheaper to maintain
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
6 year warranty is expiring in the next few months if not already, so get the 06

FWIW my 3.0i wasn't much cheaper to maintain
No, the 6 yr warranty would be from my date of purchase. It's not a BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Only thing about aftermarket warranties, is that some can deny any claims even for the smallest of modifications. Ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
silverfishZ4M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

From what I've read on here and the Internet is the aftermarket warranties are a scam.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Everybody who drives a 3.0si at least occasionally wishes they bought the M instead, and I'm no different. However, when I let the big head do the thinking the 3.0si really works better for me.

Daily driver since new. Now has 118K miles. Only maintenance has been standard Inspections I & II, oil changes and replacement of standard wear items (shocks, brake pads). And it consistently averages 29-30 mpg. Basically the car has been trouble free - and still has plenty of low/mid-range torque and handles like a knife.

If that floats your boat maybe the 3.0si would be a good fit. If that bores you to tears, life begins at 5K rpm and hp is the name of your game go for the M.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #13
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I did zero maintenance myself on cars I've owned before the ///M. I can now do oil changes, brake fluid, and pads. Haven't done it yet, but suspension seems doable for me. The only thing I don't really want to attempt is valve adjustment, but there are friendly folks within the BMW community who will do it for beer and teach you in the process.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #14
Blakkflame
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4M - E91 MSport

///M for ever !!
      11-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #15
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr
I think the maintenance costs for the M are way overstated. Unless you are driving 25K miles a year you won't be doing valve adjustments or replacing brakes very often. Tires are the same cost for both. As the previous poster said, the steering alone makes the M worth the price of admission.
Exactly this. GL with ur purchase
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #16
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Have to agree with chickdr and johanness, the maintnance cost is barely higher than any other car. The wear items are a bit more pricey than "regular" cars, mainly brakes and you don't have to change them that often it should make you not to pick an M. If something breaks it's usually pricey on all cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

The M will definitely keep you entertained longer. Unlimited modification potential, which is unheard of for a car made in such a small quantity
      11-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Also M. Maintenance costs are really not any higher than any other German car. $500 for a valve inspection every 30k miles barely affects your cost per mile, other than that all the costs are almost the same.

Agreed with aftermarket warranties are a scam. I wish it wasn't true, because I would love the security of a warranty when buying a new (used) car, but the internet has spoken loudly and clearly on this one. They. are. a. scam.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Maybe go for a mod-friendly 3rd party warranty?
      11-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

I went from looking at 2.5 then 3.0 then 3.0si then to ///M within a year. During that year I read to those model specific threads and I decided on the ///M. Basically if you would mod the car, ///M will have the best options. Some goodies for 3.0, almost none for 3.0si and lots for ///M.

I'm like to mod and modding 3.0 to ///M spec will not make financial sense so it's the ///M for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

[QUOTE=GH32335i;14984536]Thanks guys, my wife makes a pretty good argument for the M as well. I get bored with cars very easily and this one will probably keep me happy for quite a while.

Went through the same process when I bought mine. 7 years later, still as happy as the day I picked it up. Was a cost burden during the recession, but glad I toughed it out.
      11-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If you are not going to track or modify the car, the SI has plenty of guts for around town and on the highway. Some say it feels faster around town than an M and is better on gas too. That's an objective assessment.

But if your heart wants an M, well that's a subjective thing, a personal preference really. I love my SI but you have to follow your own heart.

Good luck! And we WANTS pictures!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0