ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
FigureItOut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i

3.0i Pedal Upgrade - Bushings & Covers

I recently took the plunge and upgraded the pedals on my 2004 BMW Z4 3.0i. It's still torn apart for stage 2 of my overhaul/build, but this portion is back together. I can follow up with a driving report once it's back on the road.

The pedals seem quite a bit tighter. I'm excited to see what it's like on the road. That said, this was a massive pain in the rear and I wouldn't recommend taking it on. There might be an easier way to do it that makes it more reasonable, but this sucked.

Clutch Bushings
https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...72.m2749.l2658

Brake Bushings
https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...72.m2749.l2658

Clutch Stop
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Clutch-...item35bdfa39ca

Pedal Covers
Apparently these are no longer on eBay... can't say I'm very surprised.

Youtube Video that goes over the process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVMn6TBgMBw
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
FigureItOut
United_States
Rep

Almost forgot to follow up on this.

It seems like silly modification but if you're a perfectionist I would definitely check it out. The factory pedals are fine but a bit sloppy. Swapping out the bushings made a considerable difference in the "feel" of the controls. The brake pedal is now very crisp and linear with little lateral travel. The clutch is improved, but if I were to do it again I would put the brass bushings in both and skip the delrin option.

The labor is by far the worst part of this upgrade so go into it prepared to wrestle with fiddly components in a hard to reach space. I pulled the driver seat to do this and still had a heck of a time. It probably would have been easier to pull the entire pedal assembly but I pulled the pedal arms instead.

The clutch stop is a must have IMO. The travel on the clutch relative to the engagement point is monstrous. It took some fiddling to get it set to the correct depth but it's a one time hassle.

The pedal covers are a bit of a goof but they look decent and give the car a different look. Feel and traction are surprisingly good and overall I'm quite happy with them.

I realize this is a bunch of ebay special crap, but honestly I'm quite pleased overall with how this turned out. It won't completely change the handling of your Z4 or revolutionize the driving experience, but it does give me a bit of a grin every time I notice it. And guests/passengers who are into cars often compliment me on the setup.

I would not tear my car apart just to do this, but If you've already got your car torn apart (as i did) then you might as well go ahead and spend an afternoon on this as well. It's a small change but it does make the car feel that little bit more sporty and special.
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
      08-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I was under there to replace the clutch master cylinder. What. A. P. I. T. A. You have my condolences. Glad it seems worthwhile now that you're not pretzeled under there anymore.
Appreciate 2
      08-10-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
FigureItOut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I was under there to replace the clutch master cylinder. What. A. P. I. T. A. You have my condolences. Glad it seems worthwhile now that you're not pretzeled under there anymore.
You're not kidding. I was super salty about it that day but enough time has passed now that I can be glad I did it.
Appreciate 0