ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #111
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
At this rate I'll have mine done before you, LOL! I've got both mufflers gutted, now just to reassemble.. That was a lot more work than I was expecting, even with my oxy-gas torch with a real small tip it was hard to cut around all those pieces.
the race is on...? honestly, since i started this project before thanksgiving last year, you've already won.

i didn't find it too bad with the sawzall and rotozip. it was time consuming, but i didn't have to deal with heat like you did, so maybe that added an added layer of adventure.

we're supposed to be back into the 70's here next week. i'm hoping for no rain in the evenings so i can possibly shoot this vid after work some time.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #112
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Any progress on this gents? I just got some mufflers and I'd like to try this. Would you have any advice / suggestions for me, or what would you change if you did it again? Do either of you have any video clips yet?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #113
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I'm gonna try and finish this up in the next couple weeks. I have mine gutted and ready for re-assembly. The problem I ran into is that my band saw blade kept coming off the pulleys, and I busted all my sawzall blades..

I used a torch to cut out most of the insides of the muffler, and that was probably a heck of a lot easier than anything else. That perforated metal inside cuts pretty easy with a torch. I had a really fine tip on my torch (a brazing tip I believe) that worked great.

Once I get the proper technology to clean up and cut the pipes inside the muffler and whatnot, reassembly should be a lot easier than disassembly, because once everything is modified how I want it, it will just be a matter of welding up the pipes on the inside.

I think having a real small sabre saw would be pretty useful too.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #114
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep

It looks like I might beat you both to this. My mufflers are almost ready and I hope to fit them this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #115
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
you're going to love it!

i'm still not much closer to getting a vid made... we're having record rains here, which is producing flooding. the only half-way decent place to shoot this vid and not get pestered by children who have lowered their parents' civics by cutting the springs, or asked by local police to vacate the area, is currently under water.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #116
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
you're going to love it!

i'm still not much closer to getting a vid made... we're having record rains here, which is producing flooding. the only half-way decent place to shoot this vid and not get pestered by children who have lowered their parents' civics by cutting the springs, or asked by local police to vacate the area, is currently under water.
Please post full review along with video!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #117
Punko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Did you ever consider just wrapping the perforated sections of pipe in header wrap or aluminum tape of some kind?

Perhaps that would increase the volume without changing high pressure and low pressure areas designed to eliminate resonance?

Can't wait to hear them rumble, good job.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #118
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Did you pack them with the original material or steel wool? Also waiting for a video, as I really just want about 10% louder and deeper sound without adding rasp or drone, this seems like the best solution for that goal so far.
      06-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #119
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep

Finished painting the mufflers black today, with black tips. Hopefully get them put on the car tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #120
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Please post full review along with video!
it needs to stop freakin' raining. it's maddening! short review is... do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punko View Post
Did you ever consider just wrapping the perforated sections of pipe in header wrap or aluminum tape of some kind?

Perhaps that would increase the volume without changing high pressure and low pressure areas designed to eliminate resonance?

Can't wait to hear them rumble, good job.
no, as I wanted a straight-through solution. the reason for using the stock cans at all is for the low frequencies. an internal wrap would likely reduce the effective volume in the chamber. also, keep in mind that the fiber packing inside the muffler is very, very tight. the pressure change you're talking about is there, but likely created by the actual bends in the pipe, not by the perforated sections which are there to permit the transmission of sound waves.

I can assure you... there is ZERO rasp or drone from this specific mod. low RPM's under load have a much deeper tone. high RPM's have the same tone as stock. overall the system is maybe 10-20% louder than stock.

remember, a 100% increase in volume is 3db. my review will be very similar to what was used in last year's exhaustfest... camera at correct height and distance. db meter on correct weighting. replicated procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Did you pack them with the original material or steel wool? Also waiting for a video, as I really just want about 10% louder and deeper sound without adding rasp or drone, this seems like the best solution for that goal so far.
I used the OE packing. after disassembling them, the fiber inside was mostly pure white, with the exception of localized areas at the bends of the inner piping where it was carbon soaked, and at the very bottom of the muffler where standing water had colored it with rust. I see no reason to spend money on different packing.

the fiber is critical for resonance control! if you do this mod (and you should) make sure to put ALL of if it back in there.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #121
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecan View Post
Finished painting the mufflers black today, with black tips. Hopefully get them put on the car tomorrow.
i'm curious about your final perceptions... please let us know your thoughts once they're on.

did you change anything in design at all?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #122
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep

Here are the before and after video clips. I will post a ful review shortly. In essence, I rerouted the internals of the muffler (and sprayed the cans black with high temp paint).

OEM:

There is no drone AT All with this mod and the sound is about right for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #123
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Dalecan - I have to admit... I'm impressed. I didn't think they were going to sound that nice.

Well... when I swapped mine for hi-flow magnaflows... I thought they were just prefect... aaaaand 6 months later they were not loud enough - so I got euro headers 10 months later - I'm looking at electric exhaust cutouts and I want to put them on my sec 1 just before the cats.

I guess I'm going def... or just enjoy stepping on it every chance I get.

Good luck, enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Jeff.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #124
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffchaPz View Post
Dalecan - I have to admit... I'm impressed. I didn't think they were going to sound that nice.

Well... when I swapped mine for hi-flow magnaflows... I thought they were just prefect... aaaaand 6 months later they were not loud enough - so I got euro headers 10 months later - I'm looking at electric exhaust cutouts and I want to put them on my sec 1 just before the cats.

I guess I'm going def... or just enjoy stepping on it every chance I get.

Good luck, enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Jeff.

Hey Jeff,

I to wanted to do a by-pass valve mod, but none of the exhaust shops I went to would do it. I need to learn how to weld and just do it myself
It's a shame that we can't get them to sound like a TVR Cerbera

Not mine, but you get the idea!

Last edited by Dalecan; 06-11-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #125
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep

I didn't want to completely hijack this thread, so I created my own with my OEM exhaust gutting:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852041

Thanks OP, for sharing what you did and inspiring me (along with Exdos).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #126
couchflyer
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M Roadster; X4 M40i

Garage List
v3.2mc, did you ever make that sound video on your completed project?
Appreciate 0