ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Buying Z4MR...help with next steps.

Hi all,

Looks like I may finally have the car I want. As some of you know, I have been looking for a decent sepang M roadster for a while. I had been looking for one with light sepang interior (a must have) and a tan top but after looking at my second tan top version, it was amost as rough as the first one. Then I saw a black top version online and about to head to Philly to look at it next weekend but it looks mint, low mileage, good price, etc so I have a deposit on it. I am 95% certain it will be a go. The best part...I sold my 3.0i for only a grand less than I will be getting the M for!!

Now, I want to ask about next steps and advice from those of you who have "been there, done that"...

1) First up will be exhaust. I think I have narrowed it down to RPI or Diablo. I like the low end growl of the RPI and the price seems right as well. A couple of questions on these...first, for those that have owned both or heard both in person, what is your take on the two options listed? Any other suggestions that would be a similar sound? Any good online retailers with good pricing to get either of these at? Lastly, would it make sense to add an X Pipe of some sort to the RPI setup and if so, which do you recommend?

2) Next up is likely wheels and tires. I think I want a set of CSLs or CSL clones. I am thinking that with the sepang exterior, hyperblack would be a good colour match. That said, I am looking for an option definately less than $2,000 for the set...preferably less than $1,500. Any ideas?

3) For tires, those on the car seem to be mint. I believe they are the OEM Conti's. On my 3.0i, I hated the RFTs and was going to replace them with PSSs next year. Is it worth replacing the Conti's with PSSs? My thought is yes. 90% of my driving will, of course, be street but I would like to do some autocross and track/instructor days next year. The car will never see rain unless I get stuck in it and of course never see winter.

4) As a side note to tires and wheels, I am not an expert on sizing, offsets, camber, etc so help me out here. I was thinking I would like to go with 19's and a lower profile tire but I don't want a complicated setup. If you could recommend sizes, offsets, etc for both wheels and tires baring this in mind, I would appreciate it.

5) Intakes...I understand they are mostly for sound. Don't really care too uch about this as I think the RPI or Diablos will make all the difference I need. What I am wondering about is performance gain. I think I have heard that the afe sounds OK but makes little to no difference in performance. Would the same be said of the Gruppe M? What about the RPI scoop?

6) Lastly, any other suggestions for performance gains without going as far as supercharger would be helpful. BTW, I am going to do the CDV delete.

Thanks in advance for all of your input. I'll post pics once the car is in hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Hey Mike!! That is awesome!! Super excited to see your M in the spring. Just saw you posted this here instead. Anyways .. double post for me

You heard my exhaust, I have Stromung and Ian has Eissenman sport I believe. RPI would be Vinnie or Paul. However you haven't met them. That exhaust is super loud but does sound great. Have heard it first hand. It's too loud for me though. An X-pipe on an RPI would be nuts!!

If you want to hear my exhaust in person let me know and we can meet up as you are local. I bought mine through VAC during their 10% off sale.

Tires - go with Michelin Pilot Super Sports .. they are fantastic in the wet, the dry and the track.

I have the RPI scoop and BMC filter and its okay. Can't say I noticed anything. Looks cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Thanks Mirko. Yeah, I liked the sound of yours and heard a few clips on the Stromung on youtube. I liked it as well and am thinking it was number 3 on my list. I think I really need to hear the RPI in person to see if its too loud. Would be good to hear yours again as a refresher.

Where is Vinnie located?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

1) RPI is loud.

2) Wheels EC-7

Front 18x9.0" ET42 - 20.75lbs - $299
Rear 18x10" ET25 - 22.45lbs - $329

You'll need a spacer in the front, 7-10mm. Might as well get studs 75mm while you're at it. Since you have the light tan interior I would suggest you consider getting the wheels in silver, shiny and sepang looks really nice.

Black will also look good, check out roffle's wheels as he has the same color combo as you.

Here are wheels of sizes close to the ones I'm suggesting, although less aggressive in the front unless you also want to get coils.

3) PSS in 245 275 to go with the wheels suggested above. You can also make the wheels 8.5/9.5 and run 235/265. The section width is nearly the same and you run less unsprung weight, which might be better since you're not supercharging.

4) Stick with 18s unless you really love the look of 19s.

5) Intake is low on my list. If I had a GruppeM I wouldn't sell it (it sounds amazing), but I can't justify buying one until other mods are done.

6) 3.91 gearing, coilovers, ultimate pedals, ssk, etc. the modding never stops.

But seriously get a $10 clutch stop. It should be #1 on this list as the best cheapest mod ever.

Last edited by beta; 11-03-2012 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0