ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
i'm glad you tried this. honestly, 3.50 is certainly cheaper than your time is worth... meaning that the amount of time needed to fully remove and then reinstall the muffler was probabaly better spent elsewhere.

i personally am not a fan of an unmuffled exhaust on a street car, mainly because of my neighbor with the harley that drives by. sure it sounds great, but i'd rather not hear it inside my house.

inexpensive ingenuity and exploration gets a big from me. any time something can be altered and bettered in your opinion is a step in the right direction. hopefully you're undaunted by people's opinions on a public forum; good or bad. who knows... maybe you'll stumble onto something everyone will absolutely love. the first guy to try the CDV delete didn't know how people would react when he posted about it. or the guy who removed the foam from the non-///m sound generators. or the thicker spring pads for the h&r spring setup. or the removal of the carbon filter from the intake of s54's (turns out, not a great idea).

keep the flow of ideas coming! they're always welcome here on zpost.

-eric
Dude, could not have said it better myself. All because we drive $20-$35K BMW's we're all of a sudden too good to try solutions to modify our cars to our personal liking that don't cost an arm and a leg? Like Eric said above, look at all those mods he mentioned, that if you think about it...can be considered "ghetto". Don't get me wrong, our cars are awesome, and great bargains for the performance, look, etc., but all because they cost over $60K 4-6 years ago doesn't mean that every mod done to them must be the most pricey and elite thing out there.

Heck...I'm actually willing to bet $$$ that the pit/mechanic crew for Turner Motorsport has used a washer or two to get a desired result...cut a hole here and there, hacked off something...done lots of stuff that could be considered "ghetto" to their race cars to get things done. Does that make them redneck too?

OP even said it was just to test out, and he spent a minimal amount of time and less money than it costs to buy a sourdough jack from Jack In The Box to see if doing a muffler delete would be worth it. Some may call it "redneck" or "ghetto", but in my opinion, it's smart and I give props for trying something different.

And yeah...I probably am a bit biased, since I went out on a limb and put a less than $300 exhaust set up on my M, but I have yet to come across one person that has heard/seen it that said it sounds like s*it or looks bad. In fact, it's quite the opposite, I get tons of compliments on it.

But yeah...OP, still think that's awesome, and great job. V3.2mc, very well put man.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #24
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post
This is retarded.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

To each thier own but be carefull of carbon monoxide coming up through the floor of the car in traffic and such making you sick.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz4mc View Post
To each thier own but be carefull of carbon monoxide coming up through the floor of the car in traffic and such making you sick.
Tru dat^
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0