ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #45
Haretakis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Silver Z4 M Coupe

I want this. It could take the sport of setting off car alarms in my universities underground to a whole new level.
      02-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #46
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the point of having a exhaust dump valve ? Other than to make your car super loud, and lose power because of no back pressure...

Is there something I'm missing ???
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #47
deknight
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
Well said. I am sure it is a very nice product but you can get a 4.10/3.91 LSD paid for and installed for the price. You are also nearly 1/2 way to a supercharger too. The people on these boards are the folks willing to buy and I do hope somebody buys it b/c it looks great. Good luck and thanks for making parts for our cars!
The only time this would come in real handy is in places like Malibu Canyon where they hand out tickets all the time for loud exhausts. You could simply hit the button. I wanted some more noise from mine due to heel toe feel at the track.

Around town I could hit the "button", however that being said I would be conncerned about the affect to power. I was very calculated in building my exhaust in order to achieve sound level and power. Once i get the ESS installed I will really be able to take advantage of the ponies.

Last thought, the problem with this market is that there are too few owners of these vehicles that are spread all over the place in income levels.

Seems like a nice exhaust just probably too much for this market.

2007 Nurburgring Blue M6 many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #48
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deknight View Post
Last thought, the problem with this market is that there are too few owners of these vehicles that are spread all over the place in income levels.

Seems like a nice exhaust just probably too much for this market.
That's actually a good point, not only are there very few of these cars but a lot of the owners are people who shouldn't have been able to afford the car in the first place and definitely can't afford to mod it at normal price levels.
      02-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #49
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
That's actually a good point, not only are there very few of these cars but a lot of the owners are people who shouldn't have been able to afford the car in the first place and definitely can't afford to mod it at normal price levels.
For example... Ebay headers on a $50k car ???

I'm not one to stir the pot... but that's one that I still don't get. To each his own I spose...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #50
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post

I'm not one to stir the pot... but that's one that I still don't get. To each his own I spose...
Let's not stereotype here...being able to afford mods and prioritizing your expenses are other factors also....but I sure as hell wouldn't put ebay headers on my M

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #51
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post

Not specifically, I just mean in general, I think a lot of owners bought the car because they could get it so "cheap" with the deals that were on it and don't have the spending cash to buy mods.
      02-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #52
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Let's not stereotype here...being able to afford mods and prioritizing your expenses are other factors also....but I sure as hell wouldn't put ebay headers on my M
Ahhh , I'm not really stereo typin'... I just don't understand why you would put crap like that on a nice car. I guess if people have had good luck with them, then cool. Money is an issue for a lot of people these days tho, which is fully understandable, hence the to each their own "Switzerland" comment hahahaha

I think if someone is smart enough to finagle themselves into an M, without really being able to afford it... they deserve it. Even if it get's repo'd... hahaha

Mind U, that's really what got us all into this economy mess right ????
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #53
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I probably will get nicer headers but I just don't want to drop 2-3k on them. Maybe I can find some nice ones for about 1k somewhere...maybe used on the e46 m3 forums.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #54
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I probably will get nicer headers but I just don't want to drop 2-3k on them. Maybe I can find some nice ones for about 1k somewhere...maybe used on the e46 m3 forums.
That's my plan... Unless someone is blowing them out at a great deal new. In this economy, I'm imagining that we'll start seeing deals on expensive A/M parts to get them out the door. Twould only make sense...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #55
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I could get you some AA ones for less than 2k no problem, especially when they retail for 1900 I think.

Which I can confirm fit perfectly with the Z4 M with no cutting of bungs or pounding on flanges as they are what I personally put on my car. They also come with a OEM gaskets (cost about 50$ at wholesale pricing) and a full set of replacement OEM nuts.
      02-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #56
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
I could get you some AA ones for less than 2k no problem, especially when they retail for 1900 I think.
hmmm....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #57
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Yeah I should have waited a year and I would have saved 20k. I was one of those that paid full pop and waited 5 months to get one.... in the end it was totally worth it though!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:21 AM   #58
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Quote:
Since when is $3k normal price levels for 2 mufflers?
Theres a difference between people being cheap and people not wanting to pay 4+ times what other people have to pay for similar products.

Do the conversion to $AUD and it turns out to be over $4600 before shipping. For that money i could have custom headers made + full exhaust and still have money left over and this would be done by pros who know about header design theory and have in house dyno testing.

Price mark ups on bmw aftermarket parts is ridiculous and actually makes me want to go back to uni study mechanical engineering ect and develop some god damn good products and not charge a fortune for them. I would make a killing.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #59
herrrossi77
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris@kks-performance.com View Post
For everybody who is interested in it. Here is a video of the valve controlled exhaust. Ready to ship.

$3000 with electronic valve system
$2000 without electronic valve system

http://rapidshare.com/files/200007052/BMW_Z4M.mp4.html

www.kks-performance.com
Hello from germany.
To put something clear, the exhaust in the rapidshare file is NOT KKS!

The car shown in the Video is my car, here u get to the original Video

Here u can also watch at my Dyno-Run.

The exhaust itself was build by www.hms-tuning.de
www.myavg.eu is the tuner who installed everything

With the exhaust I installed 100cpi racecats, a supersprint x-pipe.
also an airbox has been installed plus the gear ratio was changed to 3.91.

The result is what u can listen to in the videos.

Well tomorrow is easter friday, so i will take a ride to the nordschleife, all u guys have a nice day and weekend as well!

Jochen
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #60
herrrossi77
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

Sorry i forgot the link to the dyno-run video, here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/user/herrross.../2/nipp3M9eGgI
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #61
ryanchua
Z4MC Sapphire Black
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 570-4SL

My car with KKS.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bQQryFZ8sk8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bQQryFZ8sk8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

BMW.SG - Singapore's Ultimate BMW Enthusiast Community
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #62
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

thanks for taking the time to make that. tell me, is there any drone with this thing? I am considering trading in the supersprint setup for one of these. I particularly like the name.... "Klappenauspuffanlagen"

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #63
ryanchua
Z4MC Sapphire Black
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
thanks for taking the time to make that. tell me, is there any drone with this thing? I am considering trading in the supersprint setup for one of these. I particularly like the name.... "Klappenauspuffanlagen"
Open mode, nope.

Closed mode, same or slightly quieter than stock!

I've run eisenmann sports before on my old Z4 roadster and that had drone. This doesn't have.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #64
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

do they make any exhausts that are just deep sounding? i feel like every exhaust they sell for our cars are ridiculously raspy and sound horrible.

am i alone on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #65
ryanchua
Z4MC Sapphire Black
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapa View Post
do they make any exhausts that are just deep sounding? i feel like every exhaust they sell for our cars are ridiculously raspy and sound horrible.

am i alone on this?
It seems its like because of the S54 engine, but i like it The M engines are just different animals and sound different from the 3.0l block.

I had deep bass with the Eisenmanns Sports. You might want to look that route. Or Supersprints.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #66
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I had Supersprint powerloops on my M roady & they were just deeper & just slightly louder than OE.
Definitely not raspy at all.

IMO the S54 in the E46 M3 is much more raspy than in the Zed with aftermarket exhausts.
Appreciate 0