ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Supersprint Powerloops and SS X-pipe

Does anyone here have the combo of SuperSprint Powerloops mufflers with the SuperSprint X-pipe? I'd love to hear how that sounds if there is a video or sound file. Now that I know my engine isn't dead, I'm looking to do some more tweaks. After having not driven my car for a couple of months, I didn't realize how much I missed it.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364024

RE x-pipe, but same as SS - no resonator. It seems you are debating on just the x-pipe portion. I don't have sound clips, but I had the same setup in the link with powerloops and STOCK x-pipe (all other mods the same), and then installed the RE x-pipe (straight pipes just like SS). Car became slightly louder and throatier. It was pretty subtle. YMMV though, because stock header/section 1 and roadster. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC368.50
      09-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364024

RE x-pipe, but same as SS - no resonator. It seems you are debating on just the x-pipe portion.
Thanks, Reborn. I appreciate the link. I have the Powerloops now. I had Stromung previously. Subtle improvement is actually what I'm looking for with the Powerloops. I really like them, and I don't want the SS Race/Sport loudness, but was hoping it might make the Powerloops a little louder and deeper in tone.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Thanks, Reborn. I appreciate the link. I have the Powerloops now. I had Stromung previously. Subtle improvement is actually what I'm looking for with the Powerloops. I really like them, and I don't want the SS Race/Sport loudness, but was hoping it might make the Powerloops a little louder and deeper in tone.

Salty
The X-pipe did just that. It was pretty subtle, but I was happy with the change. I miss my powerloops. They definitely sounded amazing.
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC368.50
      09-11-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

From my opinion with the Race SS cans and SS X-pipe. The X-pipe adds around 20% more sound a little bit more vibration. I do not think you will get lots of vibration with the powerloops, maybe none.

You don't have your Powerloops any more Reborn x-x wow! If I would get a pair of Powerloops I would never would let them go.
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Plasma Blue (SOLD)
2008 Z4///M Roadster Space Gray (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC368.50
      09-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLCZ4MC View Post
From my opinion with the Race SS cans and SS X-pipe. The X-pipe adds around 20% more sound a little bit more vibration. I do not think you will get lots of vibration with the powerloops, maybe none.

You don't have your Powerloops any more Reborn x-x wow! If I would get a pair of Powerloops I would never would let them go.
Sold them after I bought the SS race. Immediately, I realized the powerloops sounded better, but I wanted more volume. Now, a few months later, I'm considering getting rid of the SS race for something a bit more tame. The reverberation in the coupe cabin is kind of ridiculous. I've had LOUD machines in the past and thought I'd be ok, but I didn't account for the fact that the mufflers are sitting just behind my head in this car, and the trunk just resonates the sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, Reborn. I appreciate the link. I have the Powerloops now. I had Stromung previously. Subtle improvement is actually what I'm looking for with the Powerloops.
How do the powerloops compare with Stromung? The fit and form looks slightly better (SS also heavier), otherwise is there a large change in sound. Thinking of adding an RE X-Pipe to my car as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed
Quote:
Thanks, Reborn. I appreciate the link. I have the Powerloops now. I had Stromung previously. Subtle improvement is actually what I'm looking for with the Powerloops.
How do the powerloops compare with Stromung? The fit and form looks slightly better (SS also heavier), otherwise is there a large change in sound. Thinking of adding an RE X-Pipe to my car as well.
I did one side by side last year. This is with header installed.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...op+vs+stromung

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 1
86Zed932.00
      09-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
86Zed,

The mufflers are similar in sound. You're right on the weight. The Stomung are light, and the Powerloops are much heavier. The Powerloops look like jewelry compared to the Stromung. Fit and finish much nicer. At least the Stromung on my car droned a little more, but they also popped and gurgled more. I miss the pops and gurgles of the Stromung. Some people say they have no drone with the Powerloops, but I still have a little, but it is definitely less than the Stromung. This could be related to something touching. When I get the car back on a lift, I'm going to check to make sure nothing is rubbing/touching. I know the mufflers are isolated, but maybe something else along the exhaust piping is touching when it gets hot and expands. Until my engine gets warm, I have zero drone, but after everything heats up, I get a little drone under load in certain RPMs, but again, very minor. With the top down, I don't notice it all.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
I did one side by side last year. This is with header installed.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...op+vs+stromung
Perfect, this answers my question entirely! I had seen the thread but was unaware of what additional modifications the car had. Sticking with Stromung - I like the sound better plus weight savings never hurts.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #11
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

sS mufflers don't generally provide a weight or power gain over stock, be warned
Appreciate 0