ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

New Torque Wrench

So with the replacement of motor mount bolts on my agenda, I finally decided to spring for another/new torque wrench. I recently learned that Snap-On makes a lower line of tools referred to as CDI. From what I've read with regard to the torque wrenches, the only difference is that the "head" is sourced from offshore for the CDI line.

I was able to find an eBay seller who listed a 15-75 ft-lb wrench for $110 and it's on it's way to me .

My first torque wrench was a Harbor Freight that I never trusted much except for lug nuts etc... A couple of years ago I picked up a Craftsman one that while it is better quality, I never fully trusted since it's adjuster never really lined up with one of the major scales (is it at 86 or 76 now?) when on zero and it's also good to 150 ft-lbs, so not the best for small to medium bolts. I've been getting by with a beam torque wrench that I use on my mountain bikes, but it's not very convenient when my butt is under the car, the light is bad, and my 50 year old eye's can't focus on the god-damned numbers!

Anyway, good, new tools are....good.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
I use a Titan clicker 50-250lb for big jobs and a Craftsman "beam" type for 10-50lb.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I use a Precision Instruments split beam click wrench. Love it. No need to zero it after use since nothing is under tension.

Last edited by beta; 05-17-2012 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I cracked a spark plug in half with a Harbor Freight one. Don't use it anymore
      05-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Sounds like a nice find!
CDI has been making/selling Tq wrenches to other companies to brand/resell for long time. Typically, they make a very good wrench. Both of my craftsman's were made by them. Bought mine in 1990, tested them then, and just a couple months ago - still perform within spec. Rebuilt a 73 Vette that year with them.

Might want to think about taking it/shipping to a cal lab and let them test it/adjust if its out of tolerance. Google it, might be surprised at cost. A good lab could have readjusted that Tq wrench you mentioned as reading its scale wrong. As you already know it will give you great piece of mind if you are rebuilding anything like say, an engine. Typical spec of most micrometer/clicker type Tq wrenches is +/- 4% indicated value from 20-100% of its range going clockwise and +/- 6% iv counter-clock. There are a few wrenches that perform to a tighter spec but not many; 4/6% iv works for most applications any of us would see.

Good luck with your eyes - Im 50 too, every where I go I either have reading glasses waiting on me or a pair on top of my head. For the really small stuff I break out my third eye, ten power head band and I wear it on top of the glasses! Some really great shop lights dont hurt either.
2011 E93 335is - current fav

Last edited by BruceJ; 05-17-2012 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
I use a Precision Instruments split beam click wrench. Love it. No need to zero it after use since nothing is under tension.
Was a toss up between that and the CDI. I think the CDI was a little less expensive (yeah, that's it)
Appreciate 0