ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
rmousir
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Hard Top Storage Options

Hi Guys.

I installed my hoist for my hard top that came with my 2006 z4 3.0si.

It works well but I'm not sure I want to leave my top hanging from the ceiling. I wanted to ask those of you who have the removable hard tops. What do you do for storage solutions?

Thanks so much in advance for your comments.

Richard.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmousir View Post
Hi Guys.

I installed my hoist for my hard top that came with my 2006 z4 3.0si.

It works well but I'm not sure I want to leave my top hanging from the ceiling. I wanted to ask those of you who have the removable hard tops. What do you do for storage solutions?

Thanks so much in advance for your comments.

Richard.
The hardtops originally came with a gray cloth/fabric (not quite canvas, but strong) storage bag - the straps of which were sewn and designed so as to support hanging the whole assembly on the wall like a huge bulbous picture.

That's what I do, way up on a side wall with a BAH (big-assed hook) in a wall stud, near the garage ceiling with an additional BAH and independent tether in a ceiling beam for redundacy (if it fell, it would fall into my wife's E90 - not good). It takes up quite a bit of garage wall space, but it's secure and out of the way.

Sadly, it has become somewhat of a permanent fixture in the garage, as I've only used the damn thing one winter.
      06-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s01

It comes with sufficient padding on all contact points but I added some more just in case.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

When I had a hardtop for my Miata, I used a vertical rolling rack for a Mercedes hardtop that worked great. That with a cover kept the hardtop in fantastic condition. I'm pretty sure I've seen them for Zed hardtops and it's possible that an SL rack may work as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I have a rolling hardtop stand laying around that I haven't used in years. Original owner sent it with the hardtop for my Z3 which has since sold. It's just been laying around in a storage closet ever since.

Worked great when I did use it, it had a nice curvature to it at the top and had some straps to secure it down with. kept it pretty well out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
rmousir
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
I have a rolling hardtop stand laying around that I haven't used in years. Original owner sent it with the hardtop for my Z3 which has since sold. It's just been laying around in a storage closet ever since.

Worked great when I did use it, it had a nice curvature to it at the top and had some straps to secure it down with. kept it pretty well out of the way.
Would that rolling stand work for a Z4? I'm guessing the tops would be slightly different.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmousir View Post
Would that rolling stand work for a Z4? I'm guessing the tops would be slightly different.
The design is something that's rather universal. I can't comment on were it actually came from or what it's original intent was, but it is one of the heaviest duty ones that I've come across. If you were interested in it I'd let go of it for a respective member. I can't imagine that shipping will be all too forgiving though. Let me know if you'd like it or photos of it (although I'll be MIA until July 1st after tomorrow, you'll have to hold out for a bit).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
darknetone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 and 2003 Z4

The top for my E85 is hung on the wall, the wife and I simply lift it off set it on milk crates, bag it the hang it. Easy and out of the way.

The top for my E89 it is the boot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0