ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
Juggernaught5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster

Ventilation system: vent selection issue

Hi All:
I'm having an intermittent issue with the ventilation system. I always have the vent selection choice set to the dash vents. Occasionally, after starting the car, the air will start blowing, but out of the windshield vents (with the selector knob still on the dash vents). To correct this, I have to cycle through the vent choices until the dash vents "kick in." There's no issue with fan speed or air temp - just the vent selection.

Of note, I have noticed a chunk of foam-like material in my driver's side vent above the cup holder. I tried to pry it out, but it breaks down. It's about 1/2 square.

Can anyone help me diagnose?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

When you notice the air coming out of the windshield vents, is the HVAC in "Auto" mode? Either you are putting it in Auto mode and not remembering/realizing, or perhaps it is going into Auto mode by itself and you have a buggy HVAC control.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
Juggernaught5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61
When you notice the air coming out of the windshield vents, is the HVAC in "Auto" mode? Either you are putting it in Auto mode and not remembering/realizing, or perhaps it is going into Auto mode by itself and you have a buggy HVAC control.
I don't use auto mode too much, and right now occurrence varies. When I start the car, the air will come on, then switch from only the dash vents to only the windshield vents, with the rotary knob never being moved and still on the dash vent setting.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Maybe related to your issue: I've always used mine on manual and once in a great while the change over from one vent to another is slow. My guess is the diverter plate (gate) or linkage is a little sticky. All I do is to cycle through all the vents with the fan on high a couple of times and the problem is solved for 12-18 months. Being in SoCal, rarely do I change any of the controls and suspect the lack of use is a contributing problem. It has done this since new (single owner) and has stayed the same over the years.

I wonder if the foam seal is/was limiting full positioning of the gate and somehow the electronics are going to a default setting?

Last edited by Incompatible; 06-04-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Possibly another related issue I've been having since I got the car. I can select just the dash and I can select just the floor and it will work fine. If I try to go to the middle of these two I get dash and windshield every time.
      06-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
TommyA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

I have noticed that there was a piece of insulation in the vent on the driver side as well. I just stick something small enough to try and break it up so it will blow out of the vent, I don't think there is anything to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Must just be the car.
I always leave the vents set to dash vents, sometimes when I first get in, the fan is blowing at the set level but air from vents is low, as if it were re-directed. I have to move the vent slector to a different region and wait for it to blow full, then move back to dash selection to get full air flow back to dash.