ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
007M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '007 ///M Coupe & Boxster S

Exclamation Lugs/Bolts/Studs... ???

Okay,

So my M Coupe still has the stock OEM wheels, etc on it. I checked out OEM threads online and it says 12x1.5. So I purchased Muteki SR48 lug nuts. Do I need to purchase lug bolts too? If so, what is the minimum length I should purchase (they are fully threaded). And can anyone explain to me why if I purchased them to fit the oem spec of 12x1.5 why I need to purchase bolts?

Thanks in advance,
Gery
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007M View Post
Okay,

So my M Coupe still has the stock OEM wheels, etc on it. I checked out OEM threads online and it says 12x1.5. So I purchased Muteki SR48 lug nuts. Do I need to purchase lug bolts too? If so, what is the minimum length I should purchase (they are fully threaded). And can anyone explain to me why if I purchased them to fit the oem spec of 12x1.5 why I need to purchase bolts?

Thanks in advance,
Gery
Unless you go to studs you will not need the nuts you bought.
Your car comes stock with lug bolts that thread into the wheel hubs.
They are reusable.
If you want to upgrade or make taking your wheels on and off then go to studs and nuts, otherwise stick with the OEM bolts.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
007M
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks dbarton62. So, I've already purchased the muteki's and they're what I want for the purposes of aesthetics. Now I'm looking to order the wheel studs. I'm looking at both H&R and Turner Motorsports. They offer them in the following lengths:
40, 50, 60, 70mm

Which length should I purchase? I'm not looking to have them stick out past the end of my new lug nuts which are 48mm in length, so I'm guessing I should get the 40mm. Is that correct? Or is there a reason I should get a different length?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Can't comment on the length of the studs. You won't want studs any longer than you need for OEM fitment.
Only reason to use longer studs is if you are going to be using spacers.

I upgraded my lug bolts and they were 27mm under the head of the bolt to the end of the threads.

Do a search on here for wheel studs, the answer to the required length will likely be there.

Heres a good one
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ht=Wheel+studs
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
007M
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks again dbarton62. I had looked on that thread and read through it once, but I went back and read through it and followed all their links, which lead to other links, etc, etc. I finally ended up getting the 75mm bullet nose ones. Thanks again for your help.
Appreciate 0