ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdchu View Post
yea, purchased the bavarian tech cable and tried to clear but it keeps coming back...

how do you power cycle? I've tried disconnecting battery but no luck

next will be an indie shop

thanks
Bav Tech has it's limitations, especially with our ECU and modules. I've been able to do more with the P.A. Soft unit. But if you really want to go all out, there are full coding solutions and heads out there, but they're a PITA to install on a PC even if you've got patience and skill.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
captdchu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 si

thanks for the info...

anyone have suggestions for a quality indie shop in south florida?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdchu View Post
thanks for the info...

anyone have suggestions for a quality indie shop in south florida?
Sorry to hear about this issue. Really scarey come to think about it.

I usually go to Eurotech 2354 N. Military Trail #212 West Palm Beach 33409. 561-686-1896. Ask for Dezi. His wife works there also and she's a sweetheart. They are certified BMW/Mercedes and from my experience they are not here to rob you which is rare especially in West Palm Beach. Been going there for years since my first 3 series 6 years ago. Good Luck and I hope its just something simple that can be fixed inexpensively.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #26
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlgrey69 View Post
Same symptoms that I had except mine would come on randomly for many months. One day the lights stayed on for good.

It is probably just my imagination but I swore mine was temperature related. It seemed to only happen when I drove the car on hot days. I keep mine in the garage at all times and the lights never came on from the initial start up, only after driving and restarting the car.
Had the car back in the shop because a similar issue crept up except this time it was intermittent. Turned out the MAF sensor was replaced and the starter was also replaced. Total out of pocket................$0.00 Freakin' Awesome
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
IYIarv
Private
Rep
Drives: 99 M Coupe / 07 M Coupe

Have to bring this thread back to life... HELP

So I took my 07 M Coupe (BTW, 20k miles) to the body shop to repair a dent in the left rear fender, scratch on left rear wheel and door a couple of weeks ago. (BTW Fairfax BMW in NOVA STINKS, stay away). When I picked up the vehicle on my way home I had three dash lights pop up: ABS, BRAKE, DSC Warning all in orange at the same time.

Fairfax BMW body shop (HORRIBLE) told me to drive it a while and that it would go away. The lights came up every morning and after driving went away in the afternoon. After a fight they took the car to service. Service said there was a "DSC battery voltage too low" warning fault. Service cleared the error codes supposedly and said it wouldn't come back. IT DID.

After a second fight with the body shop they took it to service again NOW service is telling me "No power going into the pump from the DSC control unit" and that I need a new DSC control module and that will cost $1500. I told them to give me my car back and I want a second opinion.

Now I NEVER had a single error light in my dash prior to the body shop touching my vehicle and i'm not a believer in coincidences when it comes to stuff like this.

To add to the drama three days ago I was out driving in the rain and I got the defective bulb warning light as my right headlight went out. I turned the car off and restarted it and the headlamp came back up and the light went out. Again I have never had an error light on my dash.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I was debating whether to pay a different dealership another $150 for diagnosis. The body shop refused to claim any responsibility.

Thanks for the help.

Marvin
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #28
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

This happened on my daily driver, a Seat Leon 1.8T, the VW dealership wanted 2,500$ to change it. The car was worth a little more than double that so I bought a pump from the scrap yard. got away with about 1,100$.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IYIarv View Post
Have to bring this thread back to life... HELP

So I took my 07 M Coupe (BTW, 20k miles) to the body shop to repair a dent in the left rear fender, scratch on left rear wheel and door a couple of weeks ago. (BTW Fairfax BMW in NOVA STINKS, stay away). When I picked up the vehicle on my way home I had three dash lights pop up: ABS, BRAKE, DSC Warning all in orange at the same time.

Fairfax BMW body shop (HORRIBLE) told me to drive it a while and that it would go away. The lights came up every morning and after driving went away in the afternoon. After a fight they took the car to service. Service said there was a "DSC battery voltage too low" warning fault. Service cleared the error codes supposedly and said it wouldn't come back. IT DID.

After a second fight with the body shop they took it to service again NOW service is telling me "No power going into the pump from the DSC control unit" and that I need a new DSC control module and that will cost $1500. I told them to give me my car back and I want a second opinion.

Now I NEVER had a single error light in my dash prior to the body shop touching my vehicle and i'm not a believer in coincidences when it comes to stuff like this.

To add to the drama three days ago I was out driving in the rain and I got the defective bulb warning light as my right headlight went out. I turned the car off and restarted it and the headlamp came back up and the light went out. Again I have never had an error light on my dash.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I was debating whether to pay a different dealership another $150 for diagnosis. The body shop refused to claim any responsibility.

Thanks for the help.

Marvin
Some suggestions. Start with your battery. These cars are noted for having charging systems that do not charge well if the regular driving patterns are less than optimal for charging. Take the battery to a good parts store (O'Reilly, Autozone) who will give it a good deep charge for free. Then see how the car behaves after that. If you need a battery, check this forum for suggestions, there are plenty. An easy DIY. had the same experience with the DSC codes, did not spend the $1500, charged the battery and cleared the codes. Never came back.

The second issue with the light sounds like a typical behavior pattern of a main bulb failing. It happens. Headlight bulbs are also an easy DIY replacement, just consult this forum again to find out how to buy good bulbs at a reasonable price and install them yourself, safely.
      10-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #30
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Starting to look like an 07 thing?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #31
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Starting to look like an 07 thing?
Might be statistics too since most of the Z4Ms were built in 2007.

I have an 07, if mine goes out, darn that sucks but oh well I'm not paying that much since I don't plan on ever selling this car. I turn off DSC at the track and no ABS will help improve my threshold braking. Little bit of black electrical tape for the lights and good to go!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #32
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

I have these lights currently.. I charged the battery and the went away for a couple days.. Now they are back... Going to replace the battery and will report back... 2008 MCoupe with 16,500 miles...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #33
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Is it possible to repair your existing controle module? I thought that companies like this

www.modulemaster.com/

repaired ABS control modules that failed for a fraction of the cost of new parts. I've never had it done myself but I've followed other boards where people have saved a lot of money going that route. TAT is pretty quick too.

Ironically, BMW motorcycles have a chronic ABS pump failure a lot like the one described in this thread. Also ironically, guys send their pumps to Module Master to have them rebuilt. The Motorrad ABS pumps are a design with brushes and they just don't last long. My R1200RT currently has this problem and the bike only has about 40k miles on it. I do get to stare at a nice "Brake Failure" light which is quite ominous. I am going to tear the bike apart this winter and send to Module Masters for a rebuild.
16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Found this on Roadfly re. Module Masters

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/13174206-ABS-DSC-module-rebuild-by-Module-Masters-and-DIY
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #35
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

i feel bad for the guy whos going to buy my car off of copart.

the car is in full fault with all those lights.
      10-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #36
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

But at the price I last saw, I wouldn't feel too bad.
The long block is worth at least that much alone.