ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Leaking Headlight Washer Riddle?

- What has been inspected by the dealer and determined to be broken?
- Leaves a small puddle of washer fluid by the driver side front wheel when the car isn't running (overnight)...
- And continues to do this after the F40 fuse has been pulled?

MY DRIVER SIDE HEADLIGHT WASHER!!!

What is going on?

(And it's definitely washer fluid, it doesn't appear every day, just every couple of days. I think I'll pull the washer pump electrical connector next)

Last edited by elerner61; 06-23-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
- What has been inspected by the dealer and determined to be broken?
- Leaves a small puddle of washer fluid by the driver side front wheel when the car isn't running (overnight)...
- And continues to do this after the F40 fuse has been pulled?

MY DRIVER SIDE HEADLIGHT WASHER!!!

What is going on?

(And it's definitely washer fluid, it doesn't appear every day, just every couple of days. I think I'll pull the washer pump electrical connector next)
Mines leaking also, I have a thread here on it. If you left the hose from the reservoir connected after pulling the fuse, it will still leak if there is a bad seal.............. at least that is what I was led to believe. I am going to remove the tubes at the reservoir and plug the holes there and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Antennahead is correct. Just pulling the fuse will only prevent the squirter from working. It won't end the leak. You'll still have to plug the reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
elerner61
Major
Rep

But why am I finding these small puddles of blue fluid sporadically? Is it pooling up and then releasing when it reaches a certain level wherever it is pooling?

I had another thought, and on taking a look at the coolant in the radiator overflow tank I confirmed that it is ...BLUE. I didn't taste it and then taste the washer fluid and compare but on color alone I don't think I could tell the difference.

I'm thinking of draining the washer tank/system and filling the system with Rain-X washer fluid which is orange in color just to confirm. (yeah, my dealer said that "yes, you have a leaking headlight washer, we'll order a new one" but do I want to trust them sinc my warranty expires at end of July?".

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
But why am I finding these small puddles of blue fluid sporadically? Is it pooling up and then releasing when it reaches a certain level wherever it is pooling?

I had another thought, and on taking a look at the coolant in the radiator overflow tank I confirmed that it is ...BLUE. I didn't taste it and then taste the washer fluid and compare but on color alone I don't think I could tell the difference.

I'm thinking of draining the washer tank/system and filling the system with Rain-X washer fluid which is orange in color just to confirm. (yeah, my dealer said that "yes, you have a leaking headlight washer, we'll order a new one" but do I want to trust them sinc my warranty expires at end of July?".

Thoughts?
My low fluid warning light came on, and I thought "WTF"? I haven't cleaned my windshield that much .................... I filled it, then I noticed the puddle of fluid collected on the brake duct, right under the washer. I reached up in there and felt more fluid on the outside of the washer assembly. I will never use these things. As my indie mechanic who is from Europe originally said (he is also the former Porsche 944 Racing Cup Champion, makes me feel good to have him work on my car). In Germany they drive 150 on the autoban at night in all kinds of weather, they need to be able to see well, and that makes sense.............. but over here most all of us just want to cap the reservoir and cut the power to them and be done with it, lol.

John
(and you know this is Murphey's law, my "in service" warranty ran out last week, the 15th.......... and I noticed this Tuesday of this week )
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
I wished they had the headlight washer "delete" option on the car
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
It would be any easy job for a body shop to remove the washers and fill the holes... Maybe if you were getting a front bumper respray done at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep

So thinking ahead (happens so rarely) just before I washed the car yesterday I grabbed my wife (she said "leave me alone") and then I asked her to help me check out the headlight washers. I wanted to see these babies in action!

I tried various ways, but the washers only actuated when the headlights were on. When the lights were on, every pull of the washer also washed the headlights. They didn't do their thing ever when the lights were off (other posts have mentioned washing the headlights after 3 windshield washes with lights off).

Before I pulled the car out of the garage I noticed my typical "blue" puddle by my driver's tire. Not sure why (maybe all that wine the night before) but in typical shadetree mechanic style I just knealt down and gave it a taste with my finger (remember, I'm trying to make sure I don't have a slow radiator leak)...it tasted like..nothing...like water.

I didn't get a chance to "sample" the coolant. Does anyone know what the OEM BMW blue coolant tastes like?

PS: When my wife first tested the headlight washers for me, nothing happened. Then I remembered I had pulled the F40 fuse
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
just2talented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine ///M roadster

Ok so are we sure that its the headlight washer itself? Im having this same exact problem and its driving me captain insano.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
When I pulled my front bumper last year I pulled the hoses off the nozzles and double wire-tied them. Made reinstalling the bumper a lot easier!

Never saw them in operation, because I rarely use the windshield washers and have never used them at night.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by just2talented View Post
Ok so are we sure that its the headlight washer itself? Im having this same exact problem and its driving me captain insano.
I would say the chances of it being this is about 100%
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #12
just2talented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine ///M roadster

I orderd two new motors just to be safe. Do we have a part number for the nozzles?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #13
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

your headlight washer or windshield washer pump should be the culprit.
      05-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
If don't use them, just plug the hose if you have and leak.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Pull the front bumper, you'll see everything. It takes 15 min to do so.

I do have 2 new spare headlight washer pumps/nozzles. If you need them, pm me, it's just sitting in the garage taking up space.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #16
elerner61
Major
Rep

Seeing this recent post I realized I never did a followup post. In my case replacing the headlight washer mechanism ended up fixing the leak. Fuse has been pulled ever since and the leak has not ever happened since.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #17
gghg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

I had the same problem with my 328i (has the same setup as my MCoupe), it was the O rings on the washer motors on the reservoir. After I changed them out it was fine. Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0