ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #23
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4Mr

I got one of those from a meter maid parked on 12th RIGHT in front of Seattle U. My gf has gotten two such tickets in her green VW Beetle ... I think they were each about $40.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #24
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Fine schedule

Here's a link to a couple of RCW documents dictating fines for various infractions:
http://bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showpos...05&postcount=8

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #25
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansaysso View Post
it really depends on the cops. back when i still had an rx7, during a drive a cop pulled over my friend (who happened to being driving infront of me) and said it was because of the lack of a front license plate. this entire time i'm parked directly behind the cop car and he looks over and waves. (my car didn't even have the holes in the front bumper for the license plate) the only reason being that my car looked much more stock than my friends. basically it just gets down to how much of a douche the copper wants to be

Is he a douche because he gave a ticket to your friend, or is he a douche because he didn't give you a ticket ?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #26
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
Here's a link to a couple of RCW documents dictating fines for various infractions:
http://bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showpos...05&postcount=8
Thanks I'll look later

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #27
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

i dont get why people are mad because they got a ticket for no front license plate? lol it's against the law, you knew it was and still took it off, so stop complaining!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #28
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpapa View Post
i dont get why people are mad because they got a ticket for no front license plate? lol it's against the law, you knew it was and still took it off, so stop complaining!
Not really complaining about the no front plate ticket ... More perplexed about the part about my exhaust being illegal.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #29
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Most tickets like that are fix-it tickets. Did you get the letter in the mail with the formal ticket information? It should say "To fix this ticket pay $20 processing, blah blah signed off by a peace officer" I got a $190 ticket for headlights, was running 3K low beams and the cop kept telling me its gonna hurt my insurance, not correctable b.s b.s b.s....ended up getting it signed off and paying $20. Either way I think you can get it cleared just by putting it on and getting pictures or having a cop look and sign it off, then remove it
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #30
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
Most tickets like that are fix-it tickets. Did you get the letter in the mail with the formal ticket information? It should say "To fix this ticket pay $20 processing, blah blah signed off by a peace officer" I got a $190 ticket for headlights, was running 3K low beams and the cop kept telling me its gonna hurt my insurance, not correctable b.s b.s b.s....ended up getting it signed off and paying $20. Either way I think you can get it cleared just by putting it on and getting pictures or having a cop look and sign it off, then remove it
Hmmm I haven't gotten any such letter. Maybe that's only a CA thing? Dunno. I might affix the plate on to the front of my car, take pix and then take it in to the magistrate.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #31
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_lm View Post
Hmmm I haven't gotten any such letter. Maybe that's only a CA thing? Dunno. I might affix the plate on to the front of my car, take pix and then take it in to the magistrate.
I assume you mailed the citation in and indicated on the reverse how you wanted to settle the case: 1) admit guilt and pay the fine 2) admit guilt and request a mitigation hearing 3) contest the citation and request a court date. If you request a hearing or a court appearance you'll get a letter informing you of the place, date, and time of your mitigation hearing/court appearance.
For a front license plate infraction you're probably best off requesting a mitigation hearing and offering evidence that the front license plate is properly displayed. The magistrate will most likely dismiss the case particularly if your driving record is otherwise clean. Then again the magistrate may, since you've admitted guilt, exact the fine or a portion thereof. It's a crap shoot.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #32
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

jmillet,

I'll give that a shot. Nothing to lose I suppose?

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #33
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Is he a douche because he gave a ticket to your friend, or is he a douche because he didn't give you a ticket ?
he was a douche for segregating my friend because his car was more modified/louder than mine and all we were doing was driving through a small town at posted speed limits.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #34
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Installed the GMG front plate mount and took pictures. Court today will report back later.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #35
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Post-hearing report:

Met with the magistrate. Was a nice man. Thought it was going to be the typical courtroom hearing so I was surprised when it was just him and myself meeting in his office.

He first stated the violation then read through the officer's notes on the back of the ticket. In these notes the officer mentioned the violation he wrote the ticket for and the warning about the rear plate cover (which I removed). His notes stated nothing about the "modified muffler violation". That makes me think he was giving me a line about that ... Anyways, got the ticket reduced to $50 :]

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #36
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Debating on picking up the GMG or the Skene license plate bracket. Which size GMG did you pick up?

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #37
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

I got the GMG one. Don't have it on though haha

EDIT: oh you asked about size ... I just got whichever one they said was for the Z don't remember offhand the exact size sorry.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #38
16thBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [7.00]
License Plate Holder

Did you show the judge the picture of your car with the off-center license plate? If so, he's was okay with it being off-center like that...so the law doesn't say it has to be in the center of the car?

Driving: 15th(F25/2017 X3); 16th(E89/2016 35is) BMW's
Retired: 14 BMW's (1968 1600-02, 1972 2002, E30x3, E34, E36x2, E39x2, E46, E83x2, E85)
Current: 8 BMW's in Family
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #39
onebluemcm
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
Debating on picking up the GMG or the Skene license plate bracket. Which size GMG did you pick up?
FWIW...

If you are going to run it on the car all the time, you might want to consider if you'll be happy with the asymmetry of having it in the tow hook location vs. having it centered. The previous owner of mine had it with the GMG style mount and I decided I didn't like the asymmetry of it. So Skene for me, mounted low and tipped forward just slightly (maybe reflect radar toward the pavement??? just a thought...probably won't work...), preserves the symmetry of the front end and doesn't look too bad. Two 1/8" diameter holes in the bottom of the bumper cover just above the lower grille - no biggie, can't see 'em.

I was going to mount it with 3M dual lock only, but I don't have the strongest dual lock that they make and I didn't want to risk it coming off at speed. So, I used dual lock + the two small screws that came with it and I can still get it off in a pinch by just removing the screws and realeasing the dual lock. VA though, I'm pretty much leaving it on all the time.....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #40
Juice84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '03 2.5i Z4

You know it is easier to look stuff up then to guess about your local laws:

read section 3

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.390

It appears that it is illegal to change you exhaust to an A/M exhuast in your state, if it is louder then stock, like it is here in KY. Again though it is up to the officer to cite you or not. I have received one such ticket here and it ended up being 'forgiven'/thrown out by the prosecutor.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #41
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Exactly onebluemcm.

The offset nature just doesn't look right to me. If you assume that it will be only to mitigate tickets when you get them, I guess I could live with it, but all it will take is 2-3 tickets and I'll keep it on.

I think I'll order the Skene one and call it good.

Of course, they could just ignore that silly law, but I know the cops here love to use the front license plate for their laser targets. Sigh...

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #42
MakoBimmer1
Booyakasha!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Coupe'

Garage List
Glad you got out of the ticket for minimal $$$, David. As for the GMG license plate holder, I love the offset nature of the front plate. When its centered on the front bumper, it looks like a bucktooth. With the GMG, the plat can be set low or high, and left to right from the towhook....so various position options....

--Chad
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #43
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14th BMW View Post
Did you show the judge the picture of your car with the off-center license plate? If so, he's was okay with it being off-center like that...so the law doesn't say it has to be in the center of the car?
Yep. I think as long as it's affixed to the front bumper and easy to read they don't care.

I believe that OEM front license plate holders on Mitsubishi Evolutions (VIII and IX for sure) are off center ...

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #44
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep

Chad,

Nice wheels. Now drop it!!

Appreciate 0