ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

skidpad @ summit point :)

Fun stuff.

03-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Sick, looks like a lot of fun!
      03-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I did the skidpad down in Spatanburg SC in a E60 M5 during M School and it is not easy.

I was taught to keep a single steering input and modulate the throttle. More throttle will throw the car out, less will pull it towards the line. YMMV

It is hard to try and keep your eye trained on the line, I caught myself (multiple times) by looping the car with my eye drifting away towards where I was going, not where I would be. I was only to get it around once before looping it. It was still very challenging and fun.

It is a great way to get OPR off for sure! (that is why they are there)

Where do you have your gopro mounted? Off the rear windshield?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I did the skidpad down in Spatanburg SC in a E60 M5 during M School and it is not easy.

I was taught to keep a single steering input and modulate the throttle. More throttle will throw the car out, less will pull it towards the line. YMMV

It is hard to try and keep your eye trained on the line, I caught myself (multiple times) by looping the car with my eye drifting away towards where I was going, not where I would be. I was only to get it around once before looping it. It was still very challenging and fun.

It is a great way to get OPR off for sure! (that is why they are there)

Where do you have your gopro mounted? Off the rear windshield?
i actually had quite a bit more but the gopro died unfortunately. crappy battery life :/

it's mounted between my two seats on an adhesive mount. GREAT location to for on track videos. can see your knees, shifts, steering, where you're looking, and of course on track.
      03-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
i actually had quite a bit more but the gopro died unfortunately. crappy battery life :/

it's mounted between my two seats on an adhesive mount. GREAT location to for on track videos. can see your knees, shifts, steering, where you're looking, and of course on track.
Okay, that was my other thought on mounting location. Curved mount I'm assuming?

I'll mostly be using it for autocross (some track here and there) but it's a great learning tool at that location, 10000% agreed.

You using spot meter and wide lens mode?

You have a shot of approximate location as well? I don't want to screw it up and try forever trying to get it off and remounting it
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Okay, that was my other thought on mounting location. Curved mount I'm assuming?

I'll mostly be using it for autocross (some track here and there) but it's a great learning tool at that location, 10000% agreed.

You have a shot of approximate location as well? I don't want to screw it up and try forever trying to get it off and remounting it
i learned after my first track weekend at VIR to use spot meter. i got home to watch my videos and was like wtf lol. i could see the interior fine but anything on the other side of the windshield was like i was staring at the sun.

so, yes, spot meter and wide. the slightly curved adhesive mount works great on the plastic between the seats.
      03-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

no shot of location but i can remember to take one and i'll bump this thread for ya.
      03-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Nice driving OP, going to try to hit up skid pad with NJ CCA this year if possible. That was Jefferson or Shenandoah?

Quote:

Kgolf I mount my gopro here but also use the attachments for my iPhone when I use my lap timer software

Last edited by 3002 tii; 03-21-2013 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Nice driving OP, going to try to hit up skid pad with NJ CCA this year if possible. That was Jefferson or Shenandoah?

Kgolf I mount my gopro here but also use the attachments for my iPhone when I use my lap timer software

thanks man! track weekend was on summit main. the skidpad was open but HARDLY anybody used it...naturally, since it was an audi event with mostly ttrs', r8's, rs4's and the like. so i was out there for like 30 minutes ripping it up.

i wasn't allowed back on the skidpad on sunday because a neighbor complained about my shenanigans on saturday. they were going to dB test me but the coordinator of the event worked a deal that allowed me to run track on sunday if i promised not to hit the skidpad. lol...

can you give more info on the connections you used to mount your iphone? i'd love to do that bc:

a. gopro battery life blows
b. gopro video is a pain to edit
c. ipwn is just really user friendly.
d. i can mount have both running at the same time (one rear mounted) and the other forward.
      03-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #10
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

That's awesome
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

can you give more info on the connections you used to mount your iphone? i'd love to do that bc:

a. gopro battery life blows
b. gopro video is a pain to edit
c. ipwn is just really user friendly.
d. i can mount have both running at the same time (one rear mounted) and the other forward.
I made this mount for the reasons you just mentioned. It's simple as it looks, find a cheap iPhone case (the one you see cost me $5 on Amazon). Attach a flat adhesive to the back of it. You already have a curve mount on the storage tray. And then use any combination of "arms" to extend the phone as far out as you like. Here are other pics:

Btw if you buy the screw adapter you can really mount any camera at that point. At one point I had a Contour as a backup (picked up on Black Friday for $99) and it worked just as well:

But back the iPhone mount, I like it a lot because the ease of using lap timer software, editing and uploading. Only downside to the iPhone is you have to use the front facing camera and you lose wide angle:

03-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Only downside to the iPhone is you have to use the front facing camera and you lose wide angle:
couldn't you theoretically reverse your iphone in the case so that you could still use the outward facing camera?
      03-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
couldn't you theoretically reverse your iphone in the case so that you could still use the outward facing camera?
But I need camera to be front facing in order to access my apps.
      03-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #14
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

found this from last weekend at summit. some progressive brakelight action lol.

11:25

03-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Was that you he caught? Looked like u were hauling ass man lol, good stuff. Summit Main is one of my favorite tracks. If they could just get those fences higher so no deer would jump on track!
      03-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
this looks like incredible fun. basically, drifting training....

have heard so much about the skid pad there... and this finally gives those of us who have never been to it, a chance to see it. Now i really want to get there, even if just for skidpad practice... seems like it doesnt tear up the car nearly as much as the 'parking lot' skid pad at NJMP HPDE....

question, would you have had an easier time putting it into overstear if you had it in a lower gear or just had the RPM's higher by another 1000 or so? put you up a little farther in the power band to get the rear wheels more responsive....? I realize its not about actual rate of forward directional speed, as i've seen guys drifting around corners, almost as if in slow motion. I recall it bieng easier to put it into a skid when the tach had a higher reading versus lower one....
      03-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
this looks like incredible fun. basically, drifting training....

have heard so much about the skid pad there... and this finally gives those of us who have never been to it, a chance to see it. Now i really want to get there, even if just for skidpad practice... seems like it doesnt tear up the car nearly as much as the 'parking lot' skid pad at NJMP HPDE....

question, would you have had an easier time putting it into overstear if you had it in a lower gear or just had the RPM's higher by another 1000 or so? put you up a little farther in the power band to get the rear wheels more responsive....? I realize its not about actual rate of forward directional speed, as i've seen guys drifting around corners, almost as if in slow motion. I recall it bieng easier to put it into a skid when the tach had a higher reading versus lower one....
Put it into 2nd at around 20-25 mph (when you are just about to understeer) and blip the throttle and it'll throw you out.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

Quote:

Forgive me if I sound like a moron, but is that speedometer in kilometers?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishman View Post
Forgive me if I sound like a moron, but is that speedometer in kilometers?
Nope not at all and that 135i wasn't even pushing it hard. On the main straight at Summit I've hit 123mph on my n52.
      03-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Put it into 2nd at around 20-25 mph (when you are just about to understeer) and blip the throttle and it'll throw you out.
ah yes. This is probably right when the weight of the car is starting to come off the rear wheels, and you are at the low end of the sweet spot on the power band in second. perfect combination.
      03-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

the nav screen is going nuts haha...fun stuff, I definitely want to get out on the skid pad this season
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #22
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Feeling nostalgic this morning. Miss this car :/

More skidpad fun at VIR