ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Brakes - rebuilding

I'm in the process of deciding between replacing the pads and rotors on my z4m or going with the Stoptech setup.

The OEM brakes have been so good, even at the track, it has been a hard decision.

I've been reading about remanufactured and rebuilding oem calipers.

In figuring out my options, is rebuilding or replacing the calipers needed? I've got 25,000 miles including about 5-7 track days.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Make sure there are no leaks, the dust boots aren't cracked or torn, and the guide pins are in good shape. Unless you suspect the caliper bore itself is damaged there's not much reason to go reman. That's unlikely unless there's serious rust. If you take a caliper apart once you'll see how simple they are. I replaced o-rings and dust boots at around 60k miles. I suspect they had never been touched before that.

Imo, The OEM brakes are pretty bulletproof. Weakest link on track are the pads. Stock and "street performance" pads aren't up to hard track use. Needless to say, I don't have a bbk, and lots of people love them, but I don't think reliability is a reason to switch.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
With over 75 track days on my ///M, I still run stock brakes... and I can slow down as fast or faster than the guys with a BBK... Of course I run brass caliper bushings and I have a set of Zimmerman 'track only' rotors, and depending on the track I run either PFC08's or PFC11's for pads.

At 60K, this year, I pulled the calipers and replaced the caliper seals and dust boots, more for preventive maintenance than anything else. I had some tearing in the front dust boots, most likely due to heat. The front caliper seals are a breeze to replace. The rears not so much, until I found a little $2.00 tool at HomeDepo, and then it was a snap.

There was absolutely no corrosion on the caliper pucks. I feel this is because the entire brake system is flushed at least once a year, due to track prep and maintenance.
Appreciate 0