ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

My Z4 Makeover

So after much inspiration from the 328 Hommage and seeing what many members on this forum have accomplished, I've decided to take a somewhat risky project on.

I have a '03 3.0i in Sterling Grey with a black leather interior and i'd like to make the car a bit brighter and more unique. Specifically the parts which have survived their 140,000 mile (225 kms) life thus far. I have some plans for a partial interior colour change and a concept for some exterior leather. Some retro matching tweed material in the appropriate places and i'll go from there.

I'll be installing a hand-made wooden shift knob, and custom knurled aluminum pedals for some better heel-toe action. I don't want to get too far out of a BMW look but definitely a beyond what might have left the factory in 2003.

I've order some parts already and I will post some before an after pics as things progress. I'm also curious to hear any suggestions and i'll try to tackle them as an experiment. Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Well first update thus far. After talking with a few people about Colorbond I decided to try it out on some replaceable pieces. I made armrests similar to the ones Leatherz sells except without the craftsmanship they have

It's a lot harder than it looks so I'd recommend just buying those. Mine were with made from the leather of the rear seats from a 1998 530i, silver grey in color and in good overall shape so a great material for this. I bought the rear seats with the intention of making them into a couch but they ended up being used for some leather projects.

I also made some stone guards for the rear arches similar in style to the 80s 911 turbo stone guards except these are made from leather and are coral red haha but we'll see how they look when they're on there but for now i'm happy with them. The coral red colorbond is darker than the true color but still gorgeous and hasn't removed the grain or leather feel as other interior paints i've used have. More on that review later.

Also I got my solid wooden shift knob! it's stunning how perfect it is, the ebay seller said it belonged to an older family friend who passed away. He said it's either from the 70s or the 80s and the box reflects that. But the knob itself is in mint condition I couldn't believe something handmade could be that flawless, must've been expensive when it was new.

Strangely I could find no information about it online. The text on the box is in german and very faded so who knows. But it fits perfectly without modification to the shifter rod which is also very lucky. Who knew BMW had this mounting design for so long. Anyway, input is appreciated as always. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Ok, someone has to say it "nice knob".

Seriously, that is a really great piece of handy work. It's great to see someone putting time and effort into keeping these higher mileage beauties alive and improving their condition!
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 04:54 AM   #5
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Good job mate.. That picture of the words on that foam.. The bottom bit says "Brul. 62".. Brul is in Germany, near where we used to live.. And I guess 62 was the date of manufacture.

Last edited by Vanne; 10-27-2015 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Ok, someone has to say it "nice knob".

Seriously, that is a really great piece of handy work. It's great to see someone putting time and effort into keeping these higher mileage beauties alive and improving their condition!
haha! I didn't even think of that! what can I say, i'm proud of my knob

I'm no upholsterer or craftsman but I figured I'd have an attempt. The first time I saw the interior of the Carrera GT in person I was blown away, it had leather similar in color to this and surrounded by aluminum with just one piece of wood on the shift knob as a hat tip to the past. I'm a sucker for the details and even though my car is high mileage the materials BMW used on these cars are aging incredibly well. Thanks for the kind words!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Good job mate.. That picture of the words on that foam.. The bottom bit says "Brul. 62".. Brul is in Germany, near where we used to live.. And I guess 62 was the date of manufacture.
Well that explains why google didn't translate Brul into english for me! and if this thing is from '62 I almost don't want to use it haha. Perhaps there was a company in Brul that did some contract work for BMW way back and went out of business. I have to go to Germany. In any case thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hello again! and sorry for the delay. Here is a quick update on the finished wheel. Basically at 140,000 miles the leather on my steering wheel had long surpassed it's pretty days and the plastic trim wasn't doing much better. Keeping with the grey, black and red theme I kind of went for it on the steering wheel and i'm happy with it.

The process was simple if you've done anything like this before but i'll admit I was nervous that I would either detonate the airbag or at least damage one of the connections. But all seems well so far. So I used coral red Colorbond, layered it on and very gently sanded away as much as I could with a 1000 grit and 1500 grit sandpaper and it does feel pretty close to the original leather.

As for the plastic trim, I used an antique nickel base with a hammered steel top coat from Rustoleum. I'll admit it's pretty 'out there' and very bright but i'm okay with that. As far as the Colorbond it did seem to do it's job on the steering wheel but failed on both the shift boot and the ebrake boot and armrest. Everything was prepped the same and very thoroughly. More on that later. So I have those pieces custom ordered already, unfortunately they will be a tad darker than the wheel. But i'll update when I get those on too.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #9
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Wow, that looks really good, not my colour, but the finish looks great mate. Good on you. :-)