ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

First Dyno Run (With Mods)

I have some time slotted for my first ever dyno run tomorrow at RPM Performance here in Indianapolis. I'm looking forward to seeing what the combination of intake/headers/tune end up yielding. I know what my butt dyno says, but verifiable numbers are always nice, haha.

I'll be sure to update this post with dyno plots as soon as I'm able to tomorrow.

UPDATE

Just got back from RPM Performance after my dyno runs, and I'm definitely pleased with the results. For some background info, they use a Land & Sea dyno, running the latest Dyno-Max Pro 2010 software. As one of the premier performance shops in Indianapolis, they need their dyno readings to be realistic, and not exaggerated, so the readings they give are as close to accurate as they can possibly get them.

Temperature during runs was 60 degrees in the dyno bay.

Mods on the car:

Eventuri CF Intake
Status Gruppe Headers
Evolve Tune

Results:

RPM/HP Plot
Max RWHP: 304.2
Max RWTQ: 250

Time/HP Plot
Max RWHP: 305.4
Max RWTQ: 251

Considering what I have done to the vehicle modification wise, I'd say these numbers are spot on, and I was definitely happy to see the results. Taking into account a 13% loss of power due to the drivetrain, this would put my max BHP at approximately 350 HP.

Not too shabby for a 10-year old NA motor.

I've attached the RPM/HP plot for reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by No_Dominion; 03-18-2016 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:47 AM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

can't wait
      03-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post

can't wait
Post updated with results!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Commented on Facebook, but I'm curious here if you're outcome is reflected by other members here. I don't know what the new engine will produce, but I wonder if euro headers and an intake will yield similar results. Also what other members have found with like mods.

I know it's out there in tons of build threads, I just wonder if this is about where most sit with similar mods (intake, headers, tune).
      03-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #5
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism
Commented on Facebook, but I'm curious here if you're outcome is reflected by other members here. I don't know what the new engine will produce, but I wonder if euro headers and an intake will yield similar results. Also what other members have found with like mods.

I know it's out there in tons of build threads, I just wonder if this is about where most sit with similar mods (intake, headers, tune).
Considering the S54 engine is pretty high strung and almost maxed out from the factory, I imagine my results are pretty much par for the course. The only way to see significantly more gains beyond what I've done while still staying NA would require some serious engine work, and some serious time and money.

If I had unlimited funds, my dream build would involve a more aggressive cam profile with new lifters/followers to match, larger Dinan throttle bodies, under drive pulleys, Evolve carbon airbox, and a custom Alpha-N tune to tie it all together, as well as 4.10 gears to get the power down more efficiently. Even with all of that, I'd still be surprised if the engine created more than 380 BHP or so, and with all that engine work, the chances of a critical failure would be greatly increased.

I love our engines, but they definitely aren't the cheapest or easiest to make more powerful, haha.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #6
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post

I can comment on Evolve's tune and how good it is. Imran and his team were able to squeeze out just under 300 at the wheels for me (299.5) with CSL headers and SS x-pipe and powerloops. Imran says it should be a bit higher since the tires I had on cause a bit of unreliable readings (Direzza Z II's), he said it's probably around 5-10% more.

You can really feel the difference mainly from 3.5-4K and up as it just pulls all the way through.

Also No Dominion, Evolve's Alpha-N software got the kinks worked out with the heel-toe and other issues they were having with our cars and the CSL box.
      03-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post

I can comment on Evolve's tune and how good it is. Imran and his team were able to squeeze out just under 300 at the wheels for me (299.5) with CSL headers and SS x-pipe and powerloops. Imran says it should be a bit higher since the tires I had on cause a bit of unreliable readings (Direzza Z II's), he said it's probably around 5-10% more.

You can really feel the difference mainly from 3.5-4K and up as it just pulls all the way through.
I couldn't agree more; the Evolve tune really tied the headers and intake together and got the most out of them. The HP line is insanely linear, maxes out nice and early at 7K, and the TQ was dramatically improved, as well.

On top of the pure power improvements from the tune, I also love the improved throttle response. With sport mode off it is much more responsive, and with sport mode on, it is smoother and far easier to use.

Definitely worth every penny.

Now I just have to see if I can squeeze out a little more power by changing to section 1 with high flow cats and perhaps an underdrive pulley set.
Appreciate 0