ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Abtin
Rep
Drives: bmw z4

Re-activating alarm security system

Hello. I have a 2003 z4 3.0. My car has the factory alarm system as indicated by the little bubble underneath the rear view mirror. However, the alarm system never activates when i lock the doors with the remote. I asked the dealer how much it would cost for them to reprogam it to activate the alarm and they said $210.

Is there any way to have someone turn it on for less? Is there a way to do ot myself? Or is it something ONLY the dealer can do?

I don't want to pay $210 just to "turn on" an alarm system my car already has...

My car came with the sport and premium package w/nav and changer if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I don't know the ins and outs of your model year and alarm, but "activation" (or any programming) can usually be found at a good independent shop for 80-100 bucks, sometimes less. The worst deals around can be found at the stealer....
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Just because you have the clown nose, doesn't mean the alarm is installed.
      04-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Abtin
Rep

Hmm. Is there any way to find out if it does have the alarm?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtin View Post
Hmm. Is there any way to find out if it does have the alarm?
get in your car, lock the doors (which activates the alarm if you have one), then open the doors.

or lock the doors, and then open the trunk using the key (not the remote).

but chances are you don't have one.
      04-28-2011, 03:51 AM   #6
Abtin
Rep

I have the little black nubs (motion sensors) on my window vents, i have the light bubble on the mirror, and i have the premium package with upgraded sound system and cd changer. Basically the original owner got every possible upgrade in this thing. I'm fairly certain i have the alarm but it has been deactivated by the second owner.

My question is, what's the cheapest way to turn it back on?
I also wouldn't mind having them make it so the lights flash when i lock/unlock the doors with the remote.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Smurfskier
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0

The nubs on the window vents? How big are they? There are nubs that hide the screws in the top corner of the air vents. Are you confusing these with a sensor?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
I have the little black nubs (motion sensors) on my window vents, i have the light bubble on the mirror, and i have the premium package with upgraded sound system and cd changer. Basically the original owner got every possible upgrade in this thing. I'm fairly certain i have the alarm but it has been deactivated by the second owner.

My question is, what's the cheapest way to turn it back on?
I also wouldn't mind having them make it so the lights flash when i lock/unlock the doors with the remote.

Factory alarm was NOT an option. The light bubble, aka clown nose is on every car. My car came fully loaded, sport package, navi, bluetooth, etc... and the alarm was not part of any package. It was something you had to purchase separately from the catalog.

But if you want to double check, click on my thread where I linked where to buy, and instally DIY. The DIY will show what parts should be where (ie parts under the hood or behind the bumper, not something you'd spot from the interior).

Last edited by 3002 tii; 04-29-2011 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

The easiest way to tell if you have an alarm physically installed is to see if you have a hood pin switch. You'll only have a hood pin switch if the alarm is present. The hood pin switch is found at the firewall at the intersection of where the strut-tower cross members meet at the firewall (forms a little V out from the firewall and if an alarm is installed, there will be a black module with a pin switch sticking out of the top of it right there at the base of the V).

If the hood pin switch is there (I doubt it will be) then it comes down to just getting the alarm programmed at any indy shop (since the Z4 electronics were based on the previous generation most Indy shops have the technology to be able to program them).

If the hood pin switch is not there, then you'll need to purchase the alarm, install it (takes 30 minutes, a little more if you have a roadster) and then get it activated.
      04-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Abtin
Rep

Sweet thanks for the info guys. You were right. No hoodpin switch. =(

I read somewhere on the forums that you can get the alarm for $40? That includes the motion sensors and everything?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Quote:
Sweet thanks for the info guys. You were right. No hoodpin switch. =(

I read somewhere on the forums that you can get the alarm for $40? That includes the motion sensors and everything?
no motion sensors. $40 for the tilt sensor, siren, hood pin switch. also monitors door locks and rear hatch
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

You can sometimes fine guys with SSS/Progman or the older DIS to do the programming for you at local bmw car/coffee meets.

I picked up an OBDII cable from ebay and did the programming myself.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
satyros
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Hi all, my drivers side door will not open!!!! The pin goes up and down when i lock/unlock it but the door will not open...anyone has any ideas what it might be? |Thanks!
Appreciate 0