ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Engine Mount Question

Quick question about OEM and aftermarket mounts...

I've bene looking at all the bushings and mounts available and soon upgrading. I've read that going with harder-than-rubber engine mounts (neo or poly, etc) the NVH is 'teeth rattling'. I don't want to hate DD'ing my car since it's not solely track-dedicated..yet. If I put better-than-oem bushings all around the car and then replace OEM engine mounts with OEM, would it stiffen the engine, or what? I don't exactly know how to phrase the question I guess.
      07-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
f I put better-than-oem bushings all around the car and then replace OEM engine mounts with OEM, would it stiffen the engine, or what?
Oem engine mounts won't stiffen the engine. But since you said you don't want noise for you daily driver, I would stick with oem or the mounts that Finnegan uses-----a little noise.

There aren't any bushings better than oem, just stiffer than oem. I love a stiff suspension but make sure that's what you want before moving forward. Oem is quiet, everything else adds noise.

Since you weren't sure if you asked the question correctly, I am not sure if I answered it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

and that's kind of what I was thinking too. that if I'm upgrading the rest of the bushings, 1) just do the engine mounts too and 2) the others will also be adding some NVH of their own.

I'm not worried about some extra noise. I just don't want to be *harshly* rattled around the whole trip. I know hte extra stiffness is going to bring anotehr level of ride quality, but since I'm the only one driving and won't have but ONE passenger ever (at a time) it doesn't matter too much. Just don't want more than i need i guess
      07-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

while we're at it...do we have to replace the engine mount bolts while we're replacing the engine mounts?

OP what are you leaning towards...UUC...AKG?

also, you made mention that you're replacing some other bushings. what might those be?

i'm asking because i'm soon going to replace engine mount/tranny mount
      07-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm leaning towards trying out the AKG after reading that thread. I'm also going to change the bracket bolts as well while I'm under there, too just makes sense to me.

I'm still doing a lot of research on all of it before I make any final decisions, but I'll be doing all the control arm, trailing arm (to include getting limiters), subframe, etc. Again, I'm still doing TONS of research and since I don't have my car to inspect currently (2 more months!!!!) I won't know 100% what needs what. I've basically just got a list of wants right now.

Oh, I've also already got the RE black trany mounts, they just need installed.