ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #45
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Game over. Danger, Danger, walk away Will Robinson.

You would be wise never to repair such damage if the insurance company give you the choice. You never want to repair structural damage or what the insurance company class a repairable write-off.

In Australia if the vehicle has ever been in an accident and been classed a repairable write-off by an insurance company, this information is always on the registration papers for ever. Meaning even in 20 years time it will still show 'repairable write-off' in the car's history.

This title alone WILL be responsible for destroying your vehicles market value and collectibility in the future.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #46
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Oh, those pictures hurt...

But, since the rear end is pretty intact, you might try to see if you can part out the rear clip to aspiring non-m folk looking for factory limited slip.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #47
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Those photos just make me feel sick. This is just heartbreaking.

Yes, there is the E9x M3. I'd say give it a try, but if you loved your ///M I don't think the M3 will do it for you. I have one and after driving the ///M the love is gone for the M3. I'm not kidding--ask Skelekitty. Her car stole my heart. IMO the M3 is too heavy, too cushy, totally different character. It's a GT not a pure sports car. What it does it does very well--in fact it is probably a "better" car but it's just nowhere near as much fun (for me at least).

Cayman S with LSD maybe--that's a lightweight sports car and more in the same vein (although "tamer" from what I hear). I really need to test drive one or borrow one from a friend.

Lets face it, The ///M is really a unique car and i'm not sure anything less will do....

Last edited by Finnegan; 03-31-2010 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #48
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
So sad to hear about Ruby, Jeremy!

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #49
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

[QUOTE=ANILE8;7034372]Game over. Danger, Danger, walk away Will Robinson.
QUOTE]

And as Doctor Zachary Smith would no doubt say, "Oh the pain".

Terrible news about you car. We've all said that its great that no one was injured, even the party at fault. But dang it all, something really should be done about folks who cannot drive safely, regardless of age.

Let's hope you can find yourself another //M soon!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #50
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
That is most unfortunate. Glad you weren't injured. I would guess that is $25,000 in damages and the insurance company will total it.
Do you like the Cayman?
Like I said before...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #51
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

Sister car is dead....sob

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #52
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

That is so sad... although my car went up in value, my heart still bleeds seeing the damage.

Knee airbags ... Great, didn't know I had them.

Sorry for the loss... I also don't know what I would get... a Z06 maybe?
As I bought the last new M Coupe in Canada last year (26th March) I don't think I can buy another one which I would totally trust that it was well taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #53
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Yes, there is the E9x M3. I'd say give it a try, but if you loved your ///M I don't think the M3 will do it for you. I have one and after driving the ///M the love is gone for the M3. I'm not kidding--ask Skelekitty. Her car stole my heart. IMO the M3 is too heavy, too cushy, totally different character. It's a GT not a pure sports car. What it does it does very well--in fact it is probably a "better" car but it's just nowhere near as much fun (for me at least).

Lets face it, The ///M is really a unique car and i'm not sure anything less will do....
I have also driven the E92 M3 at full pace on a track day and while I had a great day of fun I was ultimately disapointed with the cars outright performance limits as I was expecting more straight line punch having come from a street machine background and grown up building and owning 9sec quater mile drag cars.

Also, the handling ability of the E92 M3 I found was well under that of my Z4-MC. It felt too remote and lacking driver feedback, certainly not a raw performance animal like the Z4-M. I know if I was racing the clock I could consistently get better lap times in a stock Z4-MC than a stock E92 M3. IMO around a track the vehicles handling and thus driver confidence plays a bigger role than pure horsepower even on a power circuit. Driving the M3 I just did not feel comfortable with the cars ability to handle through the corners at the limit.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #54
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Also, the handling ability of the E92 M3 I found was well under that of my Z4-MC. It felt too remote and lacking driver feedback, certainly not a raw performance animal like the Z4-M. I know if I was racing the clock I could consistently get better lap times in a stock Z4-MC than a stock E92 M3. IMO around a track the vehicles handling and thus driver confidence plays a bigger role than pure horsepower even on a power circuit. Driving the M3 I just did not feel comfortable with the cars ability to handle through the corners at the limit.
Not that Car & Driver editors are all great drivers, but the lightening laps they did at VIR would show that the M3 is about 2 seconds faster than the M Coupe. I have both issues at home and was surprised at the performance difference. I haven't tracked the Coupe yet, but I have driven the M3 on track and I think it's easier to drive closer to the limits, which would make it faster for most drivers.

To OP, sorry to see a fallen Texas Coupe

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #55
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
Not that Car & Driver editors are all great drivers, but the lightening laps they did at VIR would show that the M3 is about 2 seconds faster than the M Coupe. I have both issues at home and was surprised at the performance difference. I haven't tracked the Coupe yet, but I have driven the M3 on track and I think it's easier to drive closer to the limits, which would make it faster for most drivers.

To OP, sorry to see a fallen Texas Coupe
As far as the E9* ///M3 goes, I've driven one and was very unimpressed compared to the E86 ///M. The clutch was way too light and I felt like I was going to put it through the bottom of the car. The gear selector felt like it was made out of rubber. The steering was heavy and unresponsive. The car felt big and heavy and just didn't have a soul. As far as magazine editor tests go, well anyone who's spent more than ten minutes in an ///M coupe knows that it's a car that you have to re-learn how to drive. You have to adjust to the car and it just cannot be driven like any other car. Because of this fact, the E85/E86 ///Ms were pretty much globally hated and down-rated by the magazine editors because they couldn't just jump in and drive the car fast. Their laptimes and overall reviews suffered as a result. I'm not discounting at all that the E9* ///M3 is a fast car -- it is -- but the tossability, driver's experience and soul of a car are more important to me than just going fast in a straight line.
      04-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #56
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
Sister car is dead....sob
You and me both. Hope you can get this all behind you soon and back in another MC, jragan.

I'm all for re-testing for drivers licensure every few years. It would definitely keep the ones who shouldn't be out there out, and the ones who are in... a good refresher of the rules and skills.
      04-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #57
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

get another one dude, I'm sure your insurance co will give u a good amount for it, more than enough to buy another in decent shape.

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #58
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
As far as the E9* ///M3 goes, I've driven one and was very unimpressed compared to the E86 ///M. The clutch was way too light and I felt like I was going to put it through the bottom of the car. The gear selector felt like it was made out of rubber. The steering was heavy and unresponsive. The car felt big and heavy and just didn't have a soul. As far as magazine editor tests go, well anyone who's spent more than ten minutes in an ///M coupe knows that it's a car that you have to re-learn how to drive. You have to adjust to the car and it just cannot be driven like any other car. Because of this fact, the E85/E86 ///Ms were pretty much globally hated and down-rated by the magazine editors because they couldn't just jump in and drive the car fast. Their laptimes and overall reviews suffered as a result. I'm not discounting at all that the E9* ///M3 is a fast car -- it is -- but the tossability, driver's experience and soul of a car are more important to me than just going fast in a straight line.
Agree with all your observations on the E9* M3. For all the people that rave on about the ///M3 being such a track weapon I would say that they have not driven anything more focused and/or purpose built with greater performance potential in the right hands. If they had then they would not say this.

When I first got my Z4-MC it was so much of a different feeling from what I had been used to it took a long while for me to adjust my driving habits to fit with the car so I felt comfortable at speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #59
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

The differences you highlight are the very ones that make the E85/E86 ///M more fun to drive for me. (And I have both to choose from--and I'll pick the ///M Coupe whenever Skelekitty will let me drive it just as so many of you predicted would happen .)

Mind you, it's what you'd kind of expect. The E85/E86 ///M is a more focused car with some "compromises". You can't buy a 4 door and pile the family in (which is pretty cool if you have that need as blows away almost everything on the road). You can't pile in an ton of luggage like you can even in the coupe with the seats down. And it is rather a beast when you get on it. On a 10 hour road trip it's totally relaxing to drive and you won't get to your destination with much fatigue (if any). And if you need to do those things the E9x ///M3 fits the bill like almost no other.

But it's just not as much fun. How can it be when it weighs, in usual form, over 500+ pounds more? You can't fight physics and the added weight simply has an impact. I like my M3 a lot. But if it were gone tomorrow morning (assuming there were no financial impact) I really wouldn't care. Skelekitty's ///M Coupe gone? OMG, that's too horrible to imagine.

I hope you're back on one soon buddy.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #60
99C2
Rep
Drives: M4

Hey you get to get something different now!

99C2
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #61
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

glad to hear your okay, i ruined my back in an accident a couple years ago when a old woman in a jeep rear ended me at 40mph...
as for the car, the pictures are gut wrenching, i couldn't imagine my MC in that condition. hopefully you'll get a good pay out from the insurance company and can pick up another ///M. If it helps at all theres a really low mileage imola red MC in my area.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #62
SlikM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM/Blk M Coupe

another MC all the way! Imola is a beautiful color but now you can have another color with all the same smiles
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 04:11 AM   #63
MR PERSONALITY
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M COUPE, 07 MINI GP

With these sick pix that would make me cry, i was wonder what our cars N cap rating mite be?? 4 perharps
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #64
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Just spoke to insurance. The car is a total loss -- I suppose this is the best outcome given the amount of damage. Wanted to run the numbers by you guys to see if I should accept their settlement offer or not:

+$_33,874.00 (What they're valuing the car at)
+$__2,117.12 (Reimbursement for Taxes)
+$_____33.00 (Reimbursement for Licensing)
-$____500.00 (My Deductible which I'll get back once things settle)
================================================== =============
=$_35,524.12 (Total I'll be receiving back from insurance)
-$_33,914.54 (BMWFS Payofff amount as of 04/04/2010)
+$__1,609.58 (Net return to me)

Thoughts?

Oh, and buy out from the insurance co (if anyone's interested) is $12,269.

Last edited by jragan; 04-02-2010 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: formatting
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #65
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Just spoke to insurance. The car is a total loss -- I suppose this is the best outcome given the amount of damage. Wanted to run the numbers by you guys to see if I should accept their settlement offer or not:

+$_33,874.00 (What they're valuing the car at)
+$__2,117.12 (Reimbursement for Taxes)
+$_____33.00 (Reimbursement for Licensing)
-$____500.00 (My Deductible which I'll get back once things settle)
=$_35,524.12 (Total I'll be receiving back from insurance)
-$_33,914.54 (BMWFS Payofff amount as of 04/04/2010)
+$__1,609.58 (Net return to me)

Thoughts?

Oh, and buy out from the insurance co (if anyone's interested) is $12,269.
Yes, yes, yes.
Sound like more than fair to me.
Take the settlement and do what you were intending to do anyway - pick up a low mileage pristine Z4MC. There are plenty out there coming off lease right now. In fact, this probably could not have happened at a better time for you if it had to happen. Then start driving your new one and forget about all of this unfortunate unpleasantness. It will save you a lot of heartache.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #66
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I'm going to be a total insensitive @sshole and ask...

How many miles on the Dunlops, what size, and can I have them for cheap?
Appreciate 0