ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #23
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Crawlin - wbd was referring to MANUAL 3.0si coupes. Your production numbers include the automatic 3.0si coupes.

When I first started looking to purchase an E86 2 years ago, my only hard requirement was a stick. Finding a 3.0si coupe with a stick was much much MUCH harder than locating a z4mc.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #24
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post
Crawlin - wbd was referring to MANUAL 3.0si coupes. Your production numbers include the automatic 3.0si coupes.

When I first started looking to purchase an E86 2 years ago, my only hard requirement was a stick. Finding a 3.0si coupe with a stick was much much MUCH harder than locating a z4mc.
I don't really count it like that as the M coupe never came in auto so kind of a biased comparison when going coupe to coupe. Either way they are all rare, plus there are people who would have bought the M in auto and bmw probably didn't want that for this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #25
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin View Post
Either way they are all rare
Complete agreement there.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #26
Shlabby
Rep
Drives: Z4

I just recently bought a 2006 3,0 si roadster from a guy near Kingston with only 14,000km on it.
Never seen rain.
Heated /cooled garage.
Like brand new.
Drives mint.

I almost hate to drive it.

But I don't think it will go up in price so I should be driving it.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #27
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlabby View Post

What do you think?
I think...drive it...and, good first post.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 04:13 PM   #28
Shlabby
Rep
Drives: Z4

Anything I should do to it?

Cheap tasteful mods?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #29
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Anything I should do to it?

Cheap tasteful mods?
First "mod" I did was a short stubby antenna. Very cheap. Other mods were not visible (higher clutch stop to raise the clutch engagement point followed by CDV delete).
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #30
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
I just recently bought a 2006 3,0 si roadster from a guy near Kingston with only 14,000km on it.
Never seen rain.
Heated /cooled garage.
Like brand new.
Drives mint.

I almost hate to drive it.

But I don't think it will go up in price so I should be driving it.

What do you think?
Nice find, just go and enjoy it, because it's only going to go down in value.

BTW, this a coupe thread not, roadster...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:33 PM   #31
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
The near future is a real stretch. The market is only beginning to tip upwards for the pristine, single owner, proper color combo cars. It then takes another few years for the average and more heavily used examples to follow the upward trend.

I just retired my Z4MC from DD duty at 73K miles and it could sell for $29K on a good day. If that price surpasses $40K I might be in a real conundrum.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #32
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Thinking about buying a Z4 coupe as a fun investment.
I would not buy one as an investment, but as a cool fun car that will not depreciate as fast as most other cars. I think it would take a very long time before it starts to appreciate enough to consider it an investment. An old muscle would be a better "investment".
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17303.00
      05-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #33
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
This is wrong^^^

Production numbers for the 2,104 NA version of the E86 3.0si Coupé were: 2006 = 348; 2007 = 1,280; 2008 = 476.

Production numbers for the 1,815 NA version of the Z4M 3.2L Coupé were: 2006 = 380; 2007 = 1,187; 2008 = 248.

People love to think since they bought the cheaper base version, they bought the more rare more purist car which just isn't true. Im not trying to start a war just stating some facts before people think that everything they read is true and start thinking they have a more rare car than the M. Plus if you go worldwide the gap widens even more.
I don't think anyone tried justifying cheaper -> rarer besides you.
      05-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #34
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post
First "mod" I did was a short stubby antenna. Very cheap. Other mods were not visible (higher clutch stop to raise the clutch engagement point followed by CDV delete).
CDV is a must to remove, I think it may help cause the dreaded 2nd gear grind. Only way I would leave it in would be for a girlfriend/wife since it does make the everyday drive a little easier when your feeling lazy. I noticed instant difference when I removed it.

Just drive it, I hate when people buy cars in hope they go up in value. They are mean't to enjoy not sit in a garage. Plus people that do this make the average guy who can only just barely afford the SI start to not be able to afford them when people are holding out for high values. I drove my M to enjoy and I ended up having my car worth more than when I bought it. I got almost as much on trade as I paid retail just a year ago. But I did find a deal on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I don't think anyone tried justifying cheaper -> rarer besides you.
I didn't say somebody couldn't afford an M if they bought a 3.0si. Considering the M vert and 3.0si coupes are near the same price if your willing to not care about some extra miles and I originally looked at an SI coupe but because the difference for the M coupe was like 6k at the time I was like umm M for sure and I like driving the car's to their limits and the M's is just higher stock for stock and only goes on as you modify.

Also the first line of the first post says investment in it as this would have to do with price etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #35
AndrewJM928
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

The M's have a lot of potential to increase in value. I think they actually bottomed out a few years ago... how many cars hit the bottom of their depreciation curve before they are ten years old? Not many.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #36
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
... I didn't say somebody couldn't afford an M if they bought a 3.0si. Considering the M vert and 3.0si coupes are near the same price if your willing to not care about some extra miles and I originally looked at an SI coupe but because the difference for the M coupe was like 6k at the time I was like umm M for sure and I like driving the car's to their limits and the M's is just higher stock for stock and only goes on as you modify.

Also the first line of the first post says investment in it as this would have to do with price etc...
Let's be clear -- my comment was in response to something you directly wrote: "People love to think since they bought the cheaper base version, they bought the more rare more purist car which just isn't true."

Look at the underlined text, it implies a cause and effect relation, as in people try to justify the less expensive purchase as being more rare. Those are your words not mine.

You need to slow down and work on your reading comprehension. You quoted WDB as being incorrect when he clearly was referencing manual n52 coupes to which you dismiss because your basis of production numbers is different. That's convenient but you totally disregarded his point and felt the need to copy some Wikipedia figures.

You're quick at responding to things that simply aren't there. Seems like you're going out of your way trying to justify something. And whether you feel the need to make such a point that's fine, just don't tie me or others into it.
      05-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #37
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

To be honest, I think us E85 and E86 guys are very much a niche market these days and we're pretty much the small group of folks who really appreciate these cars in any form. So if that proves to be the case, it may limit the extent to which any of these cars appreciate in value, as the future demand may be much smaller than what it would be for an M3 of the same vintage, for example. I guess time will tell. In the meantime, I say let's just enjoy the fact that summer will soon be here (for most of us) and that means looking forward to lots of driving enjoyment.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #38
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Let's be clear -- my comment was in response to something you directly wrote: "People love to think since they bought the cheaper base version, they bought the more rare more purist car which just isn't true."

Look at the underlined text, it implies a cause and effect relation, as in people try to justify the less expensive purchase as being more rare. Those are your words not mine.

You need to slow down and work on your reading comprehension. You quoted WDB as being incorrect when he clearly was referencing manual n52 coupes to which you dismiss because your basis of production numbers is different. That's convenient but you totally disregarded his point and felt the need to copy some Wikipedia figures.

You're quick at responding to things that simply aren't there. Seems like you're going out of your way trying to justify something. And whether you feel the need to make such a point that's fine, just don't tie me or others into it.
Being clear you can't make the comparison at all then since they didn't come with auto's and the SI's did but auto is an option. I don't need to justify anything I compare car make to car make. That's like saying my car came with the red and black seats which there is only 500 of and there are 10,000 of the black ones so My entire car is more rare than yours which is stupid which is the same argument as not having an auto option. When it comes down to it a trans is an option just like a color which doesn't justify the car being more rare because of a color. Yes they made less manual's but they didn't make less of the actual car(coupes). I used facts not am I trying to be special as I don't even own an M coupe anymore and own an M3 so my comparison is unbiased as I could make it. I also didn't judge him I just made a statement and was also stating that for people who aren't forum people and will just read this one thread and think something that isn't true. Obviously if your on the forum you most likely know more than the average person which I took into acct.
IE: The kid who will read 5 sentences and use it as fact in trying to make his car sound better than another car which is what people constantly do.

So unless your willing to accept the argument a color makes a care more rare than another color just like a different trans then fine, if not your argument is completely irrational and if your wondering how look at a manufacturers build sheet it'll say option- automatic trans. Being from the car industry I know this to be fact!

Plus this a forum where people converse about their cars, so involving other's in statements is the exact reason to have a forum, so we can clarify things and have
conversation and learn. If you don't like you or your statements being judged and talked about don't join a forum.

By the way I didn't involve YOU at all you did that to yourself and inserted yourself into this conversation just go ahead and read back before you say something stupid like dont involve you when you involved yourself. YOU quoted ME FIRST, so lets be clear you started off on this. I made a generic statement and also quoted someone else so your just wrong, completely wrong. You cant say something and make it so to try and make yourself the good guy.

By the way I'll admit that I'm kind of a dick, But a dick that's right.

From looking around at multiple sources-
(im so sorry for using wikipedia and I also looked at others if that matters to your ignorant statement, dont involve me in that LMAO)

Numbers may be off a litte, but getting exact numbers is truly a headache.

BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe (manual) = 1598

BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe (Automatic) = 1998

BMW Z4 M Coupe- 1815

Last edited by crawlin; 05-25-2017 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #39
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's like saying my car came with the red and black seats which there is only 500 of and there are 10,000 of the black ones so My entire car is more rare than yours which is stupid which is the same argument as not having an auto option. When it comes down to it a trans is an option just like a color which doesn't justify the car being more rare because of a color.
To be fair, comparing seat color option to trans type option on a sports car is not a good analogy. Most enthusiasts, looking at this car as a fun sports car are going to go for a manual trans. This will make an E86 si with manual trans the most valuable Z4 regardless of seat color (with the exception of a Z4 ///M)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #40
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep

wow - I'm gonna go pop some popcorn - this might get good......
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #41
markp1958
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0i / 2014 740i

When I was shopping for mine at the first of the year it was obvious manuals were more rare and seemed to be going for more $ . I had a 300 mile search radius so that provided a lot of cars to compare .Ended up driving to South Carolina from Florida to find a deal ,it seems like that can be another driving force behind resale of these cars . For the roadsters anyway .
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #42
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Being clear you can't make the comparison at all then since they didn't come with auto's and the SI's did but auto is an option. I don't need to justify anything I compare car make to car make. That's like saying my car came with the red and black seats which there is only 500 of and there are 10,000 of the black ones so My entire car is more rare than yours which is stupid which is the same argument as not having an auto option. When it comes down to it a trans is an option just like a color which doesn't justify the car being more rare because of a color. Yes they made less manual's but they didn't make less of the actual car(coupes). I used facts not am I trying to be special as I don't even own an M coupe anymore and own an M3 so my comparison is unbiased as I could make it. I also didn't judge him I just made a statement and was also stating that for people who aren't forum people and will just read this one thread and think something that isn't true. Obviously if your on the forum you most likely know more than the average person which I took into acct.
IE: The kid who will read 5 sentences and use it as fact in trying to make his car sound better than another car which is what people constantly do.

So unless your willing to accept the argument a color makes a care more rare than another color just like a different trans then fine, if not your argument is completely irrational and if your wondering how look at a manufacturers build sheet it'll say option- automatic trans. Being from the car industry I know this to be fact!

Plus this a forum where people converse about their cars, so involving other's in statements is the exact reason to have a forum, so we can clarify things and have
conversation and learn. If you don't like you or your statements being judged and talked about don't join a forum.

By the way I didn't involve YOU at all you did that to yourself and inserted yourself into this conversation just go ahead and read back before you say something stupid like dont involve you when you involved yourself. YOU quoted ME FIRST, so lets be clear you started off on this. I made a generic statement and also quoted someone else so your just wrong, completely wrong. You cant say something and make it so to try and make yourself the good guy.

By the way I'll admit that I'm kind of a dick, But a dick that's right.

From looking around at multiple sources-
(im so sorry for using wikipedia and I also looked at others if that matters to your ignorant statement, dont involve me in that LMAO)

Numbers may be off a litte, but getting exact numbers is truly a headache.

BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe (manual) = 1598

BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe (Automatic) = 1998

BMW Z4 M Coupe- 1815
Based on everything above it's clear you definitely feel the need to prove something. I'm just not sure to whom it's directed towards since nobody even made the opposing point. You're essentially participating in a one person debate so I guess in that sense you're a dick who's right? Although to be honest the dick clarification wasn't needed as I'm sure most here got that one figured out.
      05-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #43
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

S'funny, you know when I was first looking into getting a zed4, I was soo keen on getting a zed with flappy pedals (read SMG) as I've owned manuals my whole life, and flappy pedals is still something I've never experienced in ownership. When I wasn't that educated on zeds, I thought that would be the coolest model to own. I nearly did buy an Imola 3.0si with the SMG box, but the guy seemed dodge. Where I go for track days, lots of cars (high end) have pdk, dual clutch , or whatever they call flappy pedals these days, and they all go like a rat up a drain pipe. I gotta say, I am a fan of flappy pedals, maybe in the US people don't drive manuals as much, and that might drive the "enthusiast" image up a bit there, if you drive a manual, but everywhere else it's a nil event.

Lol.this is gonna sound stupid, but I only realised when they released that Britney Spears video way back "stronger" I think it was called which showed her exentisvly driving a manual Mustang, that implied (for US market) that stick driving is uber cool.. lol. In Arizona back in 2000 I bought a 1979 ford f150 ute 4x4 pickup from some bloke, (who also informed me that knocking on his door at 8pm was a really bad idea ) and proceeded to ask me if I was ok at driving a stick?? Really made a point of it and also said that's why the car hadent sold previously..

In Oz, it wasn't untill maybe 10 years ago that you had a different licence for auto or manual.

Hmm, I guess I strayed a bit there, what was my point again?? Oh yeah.. maybe in the US a manual box might drive up the value of a car, but I don't think that's world wide.

Ok, I officially posted a Britney Spears picture on Zpost.. please BAN me.!!

Last edited by Vanne; 05-25-2017 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #44
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I think my Interlagos blue is rarer than vanne imola red. I don't care about numbers. It's rigged!
Appreciate 0