ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
mike87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Radiator Fan Problem

recently i've noticed that my fan (the one behind the radiator) comes on intermittently, even when it's not hot out and when the car has NOT been driven hard.

this fan will start up, get up to medium speed, then full blast for a few seconds before slowing down again, and then it will repeat this process continuously. i thought this was weird because i never realized it before.

fuses were checked and none were blown... what could be my problem???
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I'm not sure about this car but on my previous car, one of the fans was the AC fan. It comes on when the AC is on and the car requires more airflow through the radiator & condensor. Hopefully someone else can provide some insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
mike87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
I'm not sure about this car but on my previous car, one of the fans was the AC fan. It comes on when the AC is on and the car requires more airflow through the radiator & condensor. Hopefully someone else can provide some insight.
yeah i thought this too at first, but i double checked and there is only 1 fan on the z4, the one behind the radiator, no fan in front
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
mike87
Private First Class
Rep

i tried it with AC off, same symptoms. when the AC is on, the fan is on continuously drawing air through the AC condenser/radiator.

now as far as i know, there is a coolant temp sensor on the lower radiator hose and another coolant temp sensor on the thermostat. i think my thermostat works perfectly fine... because i'm not getting any symptoms of the sticky or "stuck" thermostat. my car warms up in normal time and i'm not overheating.

i think my coolant temp sensors are okay too, because the coolant temp gauge on my dash is in normal operating order.. right?

there's 1cm of room between my AC condenser and my radiator and there's some leaves and crap stuck in-between there. i think i'm gonna clean it out and do a coolant flush (hasn't been done in a while). hopefully this solves the problem.

please let me know any additional thoughts! much appreciated
Appreciate 0