ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
FTM and M Mobility Kit

Leaving work this week, got the FTM alarm (red tire symbol and audible alert). Pulled over and found one tire at 12 psi - clearly a not-so-slow leak. Made it to the nearest station where I filled it to 35 psi, and then continued home. Couldn't get the tire fixed that night as I had other plans. Checked the tire next morning - down to 5 psi.

So I was faced with a choice - either a) pull the wheel and take it to the tire store, or b) try out the portable compressor that came with the car as part of the M Mobility Kit. Went with plan b. The compressor is actually useful - plug it into the cigarette lighter, screw the hose onto the valve, flip the switch, and let it go until the gauge reads 2 bars (30 psi). NOTE - you can alternately insert the tire sealant device between the compressor and tire - but I see that as a desperate measure. Within minutes was good to drive to the tire store, where they fixed the leak (found a pen had punctured the rubber).

Anyway, now that I've finally got to test out this thing (and read the instructions), I'm more comfortable with driving long distances with no spare and no RFTs.

BTW, the FTM system in the M Roadster is not as advanced as the TPMS in the wife's 335i, but it gets the job done.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Glad to hear it worked out good for you. Funny this post came up. I was cleaning my car last night and decided to take a look at the mobility kit. I just purchased my car CPO last week and it looks like the previous owner had to use the mobility kit. The bottle of gunk is missing and the cigerette light wire for the pump was stuff all in there wrong along with the air hose. I am going to complain to the dealer that it is missing and see if I can get another, I'm not holding my breathe tho. I spent about 10 minutes trying to get the cable and hose wrapped up nicely but couldn't figure out how it was supposed to go. Can someone take a picture or explain how it should be wrapped up and fit together?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
BTW, the FTM system in the M Roadster is not as advanced as the TPMS in the wife's 335i, but it gets the job done.
Your 06 has the "old" system that uses the ABS sensor to count the revolutions to determine whether a tire is low. The 07 and newer Ms actually have pressure-sensors in the wheels. The system is still far from perfect, however -- Other makes (like Porsche) actually show you the tire pressures in the instrument cluster information area whereas we just get an idiot light when things go terribly wrong LOL.