ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
End of Lease Questions

My lease is coming up and I'm 100% certain I will be buying out my car. However I've been informed by my dealer that the car must go through a mandatory saftey check before they sell it back to me. With that said, do I need to remove my mods? Mods include exhaust, rims and non-rft tires.

Also will mods in anyway alter my negotiated buyout price, or is the safety check JUST that, to ensure the car is safe before they sell it back to me?
      04-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
My lease is coming up and I'm 100% certain I will be buying out my car. However I've been informed by my dealer that the car must go through a mandatory saftey check before they sell it back to me. With that said, do I need to remove my mods? Mods include exhaust, rims and non-rft tires.

Also will mods in anyway alter my negotiated buyout price, or is the safety check JUST that, to ensure the car is safe before they sell it back to me?
Are you buying a CPO warranty? If not, why is the inspection mandatory? Just tell BMWFS you want to buy direct from them and bypass the dealer. If you are getting a CPO, I would remove mods as this can be a basis for refusal of the CPO(with Audi anyway).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Are you buying a CPO warranty? If not, why is the inspection mandatory? Just tell BMWFS you want to buy direct from them and bypass the dealer. If you are getting a CPO, I would remove mods as this can be a basis for refusal of the CPO(with Audi anyway).
Not buying CPO, just as-is. Reason I'm dealing with the dealer is b/c their buyout price is cheaper than the payoff quote given to me by BMW FS.
      04-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I still don't understand the mandatory inspection. The car is still under factory warranty right? Why would it need to be inspected? Everything other than tires is covered by the warranty/service until 4/50K... I would not think mods need to be removed in your case.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I still don't understand the mandatory inspection. The car is still under factory warranty right? Why would it need to be inspected? Everything other than tires is covered by the warranty/service until 4/50K... I would not think mods need to be removed in your case.
I went through the same thing when I bought out my lease. The dealer's buyout price was almost $12K below the BMWFS buyout price (and BMWFS would not budge). However, the dealer would only sell me the car after putting it through the inspection. For $12K savings I was not going to argue!

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
I went through the same thing when I bought out my lease. The dealer's buyout price was almost $12K below the BMWFS buyout price (and BMWFS would not budge). However, the dealer would only sell me the car after putting it through the inspection. For $12K savings I was not going to argue!
Did you have to pay for the inspection? I just can't see the point since you are buying a car you already lease... Any problems would also likely be under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Did you have to pay for the inspection? I just can't see the point since you are buying a car you already lease... Any problems would also likely be under warranty.
Yes, non-negotiable. Here were my options;
  1. Buy the car from BMWFS for $40K, or
  2. Buy the car from the dealer for $28K and pay for an inspection.
I don't see any point either, but for that kind of $avings, I don't care. BTW, the dealer detailed the car, topped off fluids, filled the tires, etc.

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
Yes, non-negotiable. Here were my options;
  1. Buy the car from BMWFS for $40K, or
  2. Buy the car from the dealer for $28K and pay for an inspection.
I don't see any point either, but for that kind of $avings, I don't care. BTW, the dealer detailed the car, topped off fluids, filled the tires, etc.
Interesting. Guess it is just another fee the dealer charges to make extra cash on the sale. For 12K I would do it too!

Last edited by chickdr; 04-11-2010 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0