ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Z4M

I recently sold my E92 M3, rather impulsively, with the intention of upgrading to an M4. I've been driving my DD Chevrolet Sonic since May and my desire for an M4 has all but gone away primarily because I don't want to justify the rapid depreciation of a new/lightly used in-production car and in-part because I want to try a C63 AMG S in a few years.

However, an opportunity may present itself to buy a Z4M coupe from my little brother. Here's the story: When he turned 16 a year and a half ago, we found a pristine 12k mile, one owner Z4MC for sale at 32K. We bought the car and drove it from MD to TX. Since then, it has been in 2 front end collisions, one with an airbag deployment, but the title is still clean (currently 27K miles). I want something that I can enjoy driving and not feel bad about leaving outside during inclement weather.

However, I want to avoid getting into a money pit. So far my E36 M3s, E90 335, E90 M3 and E92 M have been very reliable. I can afford the maintenance, but what are the major reliability issues with the Z4MC platform? Are the rod bearings an issue with the S54?

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

lol , wait , you bought a 16 year old kid a Z4m? as a first car?

you'll def enjoy driving the Z4m, as long as its set up correctly. If its not, you'll have a hell of a time.
      08-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post

you'll def enjoy driving the Z4m, as long as its set up correctly. If its not, you'll have a hell of a time.
My parents did at my recommendation. When I was 16, I had no problem driving around in a 340 whp Camaro SS. I taught my brother to drive manual in my 480 whp turbo E36 M3, but kids drive differently when adults are not around.

I remember driving the Z4MC back to Texas thinking, this is so much more fun that the E90 M, so getting back into it would be great.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post

My parents did at my recommendation. When I was 16, I had no problem driving around in a 340 whp Camaro SS. I taught my brother to drive manual in my 480 whp turbo E36 M3, but kids drive differently when adults are not around.

I remember driving the Z4MC back to Texas thinking, this is so much more fun that the E90 M, so getting back into it would be great.
I also came from e92 to Z4m.
I track a lot my z. Never had problem. Just do a one time inspection 2 at a reliable shop including vanos and I bet you won't have any problem with it.
Also consider that Z4m prices are going up.
      08-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #5
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

actually, ill re-say what i meant, as stock the z4m is a very, nice, capable car, and will perform very well. its a very fun(as you already know) car to drive.

maintenance is no more expensive than my russian mistress, and gives me about as much fun when i am on it.
      08-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
These are reliable cars if you keep up with maintenance. Rod bearings haven't been a problem for the S54 since the 2001 recall/change. The S54 does require periodic valve adjustments. You should read the FAQ sticky above: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377102

How does the car have a clean title after 2 front-end accidents/air-bag deployment??
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
These are reliable cars if you keep up with maintenance. Rod bearings haven't been a problem for the S54 since the 2001 recall/change. The S54 does require periodic valve adjustments. You should read the FAQ sticky above: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377102

How does the car have a clean title after 2 front-end accidents/air-bag deployment??
Out of curiosity what do you mean they aren't a problem? Many folks here have had to replace them. Seems like 60-75k is about the age they need new ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #8
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Out of curiosity what do you mean they aren't a problem? Many folks here have had to replace them. Seems like 60-75k is about the age they need new ones. Below is an excerpt post from another forum from a member who had it done at 60k miles(with many many, track days in that figure though)

"That being said, Randy has seen wear on bearings to the point of needing a replacement on purely street driven S54s around the 50-70K miles. I don't think its just RPM related though RPMs do contribute to it.How many track events do you do in a year? And how many miles on your car?"
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Out of curiosity what do you mean they aren't a problem? Many folks here have had to replace them. Seems like 60-75k is about the age they need new ones. Below is an excerpt post from another forum from a member who had it done at 60k miles(with many many, track days in that figure though)

"That being said, Randy has seen wear on bearings to the point of needing a replacement on purely street driven S54s around the 50-70K miles. I don't think its just RPM related though RPMs do contribute to it.How many track events do you do in a year? And how many miles on your car?"
I meant, as in rod bearings being thrown and destroying the crank. At least I haven't heard or read about this happening much. To be honest, even the number of people replacing bearings seems to be low (from my perspective anyway) and I think in part due to the low miles that many of these cars have (mine has 30K since 2007). I guess my main point was I wouldn't avoid these cars because of rod bearing issues. I'll just continue to do used oil analysis with Blackstone labs.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 02:10 AM   #10
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post

I think a lot have to do with not warming up the engine enough before reving over 4K RPM. That 10W-60 oil contributes to harsh cold starts and it takes a while before the oil gets hot enough to lubricate the rod bearings well enough, if you rev it too much cold that increases the wear. But that's just my opinion. There's a lot of early E46 M3's in Sweden for sale regularly with 100K miles or more and they are still running without changing rod bearings.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 03:41 AM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Rod bearings haven't been a problem for the S54 since the 2001 recall/change.
can you show me one picture from changed rodbearings from a z4m that didnt have wear?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #12
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
can you show me one picture from changed rodbearings from a z4m that didnt have wear?
That is kind of my point. I don't know of any other cars off the top of my head that would list rod bearings as a wear item. Not that BMW lists them that way, but it seems they are a consumable on the S54....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

^s65 and s85 engines.
And probably ferrari's and other high revving supercars too, although they usually dont make many miles and a complete engine overhaul is probably very usual at 50k miles or so, if not planned.

If you plan changing the rodbearings every 50k miles or so (which is pretty normal here in europe amongst owners of s50/s54's), that $2k cost (max) only adds $ 0.04/mile in TCO. A ferrari owner would laugh at such numbers

I think almost all s50/s54/s65/s85 engines experience accelerated rod bearing wear because they're high revving long stroke engines, so the centrifugal forces in the bearing and oil feed canal are very high (high revs=fast spinning, long stroke=spinning over great distance). That said, the actual engine failure rate is still pretty small. That you see wear on a bearing when inspecting doesnt mean the bearing is immediately about to fail. But it does mean you have a higher risk of failing and nobody wants that because at best it costs you a crankshaft and connecting rod, at worst a new engine so the potential damage is very high.
I've only seen pictures of 1 rodbearing change (at 60k miles) that didnt show the characteristic spot wear on the place where the oil feed canal sits. (was from an older gentleman that drives his car really carefully so probably low revs)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #14
Patrick Gent
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Just to kick in a comment, when I started warming my car up partially every time I started it cold, the lead in my Blackstone reports went way down. But I do think you have to consider eventual replacement (I am OK at 107,000 so far) as part of maintenance. There is a deal with the Vanos bolts that I did not learn well since mine was totally replaced under warranty, and there is an issue with engine mount bolts getting loose. Those are the unusual ones that I recall. Oh--change your oil very 5,000, not the BMW "Free Maintenance" every 15,000, and the diff and tranny fluids are NOT lifetime. And get rid of the run-flats if they are still on it.
Appreciate 0