ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
coo-pey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

Door buzzing sound fixed ('07 Z4C)

Sorry, no pics. I did not think that this would be picture worthy at the time.

Not long after buying the Coupe, I noticed that there was a "buzzing" sound while driving coming from the passenger door. It only happened when there was no passenger. When wife was with me, her arm on the door arm rest stopped the vibration. This got me to thinking that there was something fluttering around in it. While alone and driving, if I barely touched the trim just below the SRS airbag tag, it would stop as well.

I removed the door panel and could not really see anything that would cause it. I mashed around on a few things and reinstalled the panel except for the bottom clips and all the screws. Buzzing stopped. Reinstalled the rest of the hardware and it started again.

Cut to the chase: When you take the panel off, you will see that big black plastic type cover on the metal part of the door. Not really sure what it's called or made out of. BUT, it was a bit loose from age. Then it hit me...it's vibrating against the inside of the door trim. Just barely touching it enough to flutter and buzz.

I went to the local craft store and bought some 1 inch think foam that you can crush with very little weight. You can use thinner material too. I cut a few pieces and placed it between the black stuff and the panel, mainly below the little SRS airbag tag. Buzzing is now gone! I can now hear the rest of the squeaks, lol.

Speaking of which, a few months ago I took out all the interior panels in the trunk (boot) and lined the seams with some sticky velvet. The metal clips that go on the tabs were rattlely too. I took a hot glue gun and dabbed some glue in all the holes of the clips to settle them down. What a difference it made. It took a while and I broke a few clips. But lots of squeaks and rattles gone.