ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #23
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq007 View Post
What do you have done to the R53 in the background? I just sold my R53 to get my Z4.

she's my baby, had her since 2002 and have traked over 200k miles on it.

so far ive installed

Borla race ehaust, header, head, ecu, alta intake, edyne modified supercharger with 19% reduction pully (18 psi), 18" forged rims (14lbs a peice.)
samco tubing, DOS intercooler (on order), Brembo BBK, coil overs, MSD ignition, with magnacore wires, a bunch of interior upgrades, ligtened flywheel, stage 2 kevlar clutch, upper and lower adjustable control arms, tubular A-arms, understrut system, toyo T1R tires.... spring time putting on some nitto nt05's.

im planning to upgrade to Jan's new system here soon that will net a tad over 300hp.....cant wait!

Last edited by -c-; 03-01-2011 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #24
evoq007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I miss the noise of my R53.

I had the M7/Powertune catback exhaust on mine. 17% pulley and alta intake. Loved the noises that car made, but it rode wayyy to rough for a DD. I also had 15" forged wheels on mine 10lbs each

I still miss it everyonce in a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #25
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I miss the noise of my R53.

I had the M7/Powertune catback exhaust on mine. 17% pulley and alta intake. Loved the noises that car made, but it rode wayyy to rough for a DD. I also had 15" forged wheels on mine 10lbs each

I still miss it everyonce in a while.
lol yea my wife sais mine rides like a truck!

but thats because its like 3" off the ground with little suspention travel and rubber bands for tires. lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #26
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

sorry for all the updates but its kind of a living as i go thread.

just recently updated with new pics showing the battery relocation.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #27
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

ok its all done just need to paint the rear bumper now.

if anybody wishes to see more pics please let me know i have hundreds lol.

i can email them if needbe.

thanks to everyone for your help in making this possable without your valuable pictures this would have been wayyyyy harder than it was.

a VERY big speacial thanks to crfine88 and nofear for all their help in sending in their detailed pics of under their cars so i could make this happen!!!!!!

thanks again guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #28
evoq007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Take it for a spin yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #29
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Take it for a spin yet?
lol yea its still in for winter storage till spring, us northern people have to wait for a few more weeks

untill then i will have enoufe time for the bumper and Aero rockers to be painted.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

thanks to lance he brought up a very good queschin, thanks lance.

north american cars have the active charcoal filter canister in the back for fuel emissions, european cars do not theirfore in europe you can get away with this.

this is a picture of a european car the battery pan can be downsized to make room for the muffler as they dont have fuel emissions to make room for.

in this pic you can see that their is no fuel emissions canister in the upper left of the car between the mufflers

in North America we have that darn canister in the way so we have to relocate it, and when you relocate it you have to connect new lines to it, as the old ones won’t work, the new lines are the M model lines, this relocates the fuel emissions to the center of the vehicle using OEM attachment points. The lines however run right in the way of where the battery box is located in the above pic making this battery retrofit not advisable or possable on North American cars. also I have heard that the small batteries also suffer from memory problems and other issues, they are also very expensive and not recommended for daily drivers.

these are open issues if you own a North American car and are looking at putting dual exhasut on your car and plan on keeping the battery in the trunk floor.

Last edited by -c-; 03-03-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #31
dyerkes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i/SMG

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
If you are using the US M version of the fuel emissions line, and your installing the battery in the same location where the US M version have it, then why do you say that "the lines however run right in the way of where the battery box is located..." since you are using everything that is identical to the US version of the M series? I would have thought that since you are using stock M part that include the charcoal canister, that it would be plug-n-play.

Regards,
David
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #32
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerkes View Post
If you are using the US M version of the fuel emissions line, and your installing the battery in the same location where the US M version have it, then why do you say that "the lines however run right in the way of where the battery box is located..." since you are using everything that is identical to the US version of the M series? I would have thought that since you are using stock M part that include the charcoal canister, that it would be plug-n-play.

Regards,
David

yes it was plug and play for me as I just relocated the charcoal filter to the M position using M lines, both the M and I have the same filter just different orientation and lines, but I was saying that you cannot shrink the battery tray and move it over to the left to keep the battery in the trunk like in the pics above if you have a north American car as the lines to the canister are in the way. in Europe there are no lines to worry about so they can keep the battery mounted below the trunk not up top like we need ours. so yes North American cars will lose trunk space. this was in regards to a question wanting to have dual exhaust but wanting to keep the battery below the trunk as they didn’t want to lose trunk space, I was saying you can’t if you have a North American spec car with fuel emissions.

also as far as plug and play its not entirely such as you have to fabricate mounting parts also since the sheet metal is also different things need to be made to make it work. but nothing that can’t be done in a garage. as you can see in the pics on the first page the battery box needed to be removed entirely since we have emissions where the images of the euro car show that the battery tray could still be used since they don’t have fuel emissions to worry about.

did any of this answer your question? or am I misunderstanding?

Last edited by -c-; 03-03-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #33
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

here i made this photochop to get a better idea of how things are routed, as you can see their would be no room for any resized battery box because of the emission lines.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #34
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
ok its all done just need to paint the rear bumper now.

if anybody wishes to see more pics please let me know i have hundreds lol.

i can email them if needbe.

thanks to everyone for your help in making this possable without your valuable pictures this would have been wayyyyy harder than it was.

a VERY big speacial thanks to crfine88 and nofear for all their help in sending in their detailed pics of under their cars so i could make this happen!!!!!!

thanks again guys!!!
Congratulations! quite a project
      03-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #35
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

I need to do some digging through my files, but IIRC, I thought someone had posted on one of the forums that they had removed the cannister and plugged the hoses (US car) when they had converted to dual. They also said that no lights were activated. I don't know if it would pass some of the more strict inspections such as the People's Republic of Kalifornia.
      03-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #36
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
I need to do some digging through my files, but IIRC, I thought someone had posted on one of the forums that they had removed the cannister and plugged the hoses (US car) when they had converted to dual. They also said that no lights were activated. I don't know if it would pass some of the more strict inspections such as the People's Republic of Kalifornia.
lol yea Cali is crazy with that stuff, well if you could do that without having ill effects then that would be cool, then you could have best of both worlds, I just wanted to keep everything hooked up, just feel better that way but there’s no denying that being able to keep the battery in the tray below the trunk pan would rock.

I wonder if it be possible instead of capping holes which never seems to work all that well, I wonder if you could buy the European parts that would cancel out the connectors all together, now there’s still a power cord going to the canister so there might be a sensor going on in their not sure so just because there is no light their might me small affects that could lead to a problem down the road but who knows. still though if you could get the euro equivalent of the hoses and such that bypass it all together would be cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #37
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
here i made this photochop to get a better idea of how things are routed, as you can see their would be no room for any resized battery box because of the emission lines.

The hoses can't tell how long they are or how they are routed......could you not have bought some fuel line bulk hose and routed them any way you chose here ??

I do understand sticking with all factory/OEM appearance,nicely done.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #38
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
The hoses can't tell how long they are or how they are routed......could you not have bought some fuel line bulk hose and routed them any way you chose here ??

I do understand sticking with all factory/OEM appearance,nicely done.

they seem to be special hoses not like normal hose, more of a plastic formed tube, I guess you could cut and bond adapters to the pipe and route the two tubes facing backwards except for the upper tube that you see, it actually starts right in the way of the beginning of the hole where the battery box lays so it would be practically imposable to wrap around it since you are crashing into the box if it were there. you would have to relocate the canister closer to the muffler but then you would crash into the heat shield, it’s kind of tight in there, so that’s one reason why I went the rout I did.

also the orientation of the canister changes 180 degrees between the two models, hence I needed the correct connections, the cost of the tubes was not crazy so it was much easier for me just to snap it in and forget it.

Last edited by -c-; 03-04-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #39
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

here you can see what im talking about even if you re-routed the lines you would still have the fuel filter canister crash into the battery box, you would either have to relocate it somewhere or delete it entirely.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #40
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I’m sure the BMW engineers and designers didn’t want to put the battery in the trunk and loose valuable space but with the other muffler in the way they couldn’t fit anything anywhere else hence they were probably forced to place where they placed it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #41
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
here you can see what im talking about even if you re-routed the lines you would still have the fuel filter canister crash into the battery box, you would either have to relocate it somewhere or delete it entirely.

I understand.

The canister can be laid vertically or horizontal. Its contents are made of charcoal and hold expanding fumes until the car is started and then the fumes are evacuated.

The hoses are a molded design for accurate fit.

If you were to use "off the shelf" hose to retro fit....you could place it wherever you find space.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #42
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
I understand.

The canister can be laid vertically or horizontal. Its contents are made of charcoal and hold expanding fumes until the car is started and then the fumes are evacuated.

The hoses are a molded design for accurate fit.

If you were to use "off the shelf" hose to retro fit....you could place it wherever you find space.
yea thats part of the biggest problem is the space you could technically mount it sideways on a plate of metal and mount it to the side of the triangle peice of metal in the middle. but then you would have trouble fitting the M duffuser if you went that rout. as its wider in shape than tall unless you cut off the mounts.

i have a full set of stock fuel lines off the car if someone wants them for cheap lol you can use the connectors of them or have a spar set if you make a boo boo.

also quick side note, non M cars have a giant piece of metal located in the middle of the trunk floor, you can see it in the image above, it’s used to mount the stock exhaust. this forces the fuel emissions to sit lower than on the M cars but still allows for enough space to fit and not cause conflict with the other parts.

Last edited by -c-; 03-04-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #43
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

ok just updated today on 03/12/11 new pics !!!

got the bumber painted and installed, and battery mounted. now just have to install the aero side skirts

Im planning to take my digital calipers out and fine tuning the exhaust tips so they will be perfectly matched with eachother it will take some time but worth it!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #44
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

-c-, another question for you. As an alternative, do you think it would be possible to mount a conventional battery sideways in the box (more towards the center-similar to picture), narrow the battery box, and go with a muffler which was smaller then the oe design? Maybe a 6-7" dia cylindrical without moving the charcoal cannister? Would it be possible to relocate the cannister to the center and leave the battery box in the floor if you were creative with the hose routing?

Last edited by Incompatible; 03-13-2011 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0