ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
smidley
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 M5

TPMS light just came on.

Hey guys, I just drove to work and when I got to the second stop light, my TPMS light came on with steady red light and a beep. I live really close to work so as soon as I got here I looked at the car to make sure I didn't run over everything, and it looks fine. Can't see any difference in tire inflation, and it's driving fine. I tried holding in the button for resetting TPMS and it doesn't go away. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Tire pressure gage if you need reconfirmation. RFT indeed don't look flat when they have a hole, that's why you have electronics.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
smidley
Private First Class
Rep

Well hopefully it will be fine sitting in the parking lot till I get off work. If a tire is flat, am I going to have to take it to the dealership to get repaired?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidley View Post
Well hopefully it will be fine sitting in the parking lot till I get off work. If a tire is flat, am I going to have to take it to the dealership to get repaired?
you can still drive for 50 miles at 50mph with 0 air pressure... i would do what rc'z said and get a tire pressure gauge, if its fine then try to reset it again... if you cant get rid of the light, then take it to the dealer

* also if you ran over something like a nail, the dealer won't repair it for you due to liability... i would take it to a tire shop to get patched most will do it for a few bucks.

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
smidley
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
To reset the TPMS you need to hold the button down for >4 seconds FYI
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
smidley
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
To reset the TPMS you need to hold the button down for >4 seconds FYI
Yea I tried holding it down for quite awhile. Still shows the red light.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
smidley
Private First Class
Rep

Well I just went out to go to lunch and started my car up. the light for TPMS was still red, but then I held the button down once again to try and reset it. It worked this time! Now there are no warning lights on. Weird. Guess that fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Well I just went out to go to lunch and started my car up. the light for TPMS was still red, but then I held the button down once again to try and reset it. It worked this time! Now there are no warning lights on. Weird. Guess that fixed it.
Get a tire pressure gauge and check it. The TPM went off in my wife's 335 last winter. I checked the pressure, thought it was alright but found out later that the tires were low. The thing really works.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Mine came on, checked the pressure and the pressure in all the tires was fine. Took the car to the tire shop and they did a rotate and balance and said that they patched the tire, light still comes on. Checked the pressure in the tires and, again, it was fine. I think there is a problem with one of the sensors or the whole system.

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
The way some of the TPMSs work is they monitor the pressure of the tires from when it is reset and then if a tire loses so much pressure compared to the other tires it will go off. You can probably have 4 flats and if you reset the TPMS it won't go off again.

I would definitely check the tire pressures before you get your warm fuzzies
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHastings0826 View Post
Mine came on, checked the pressure and the pressure in all the tires was fine. Took the car to the tire shop and they did a rotate and balance and said that they patched the tire, light still comes on. Checked the pressure in the tires and, again, it was fine. I think there is a problem with one of the sensors or the whole system.
Did you do a reset after all this? When it happened to me (see above) I had checked the pressure and thought it alright because it was close to the recommended settings. Turns out my dealer set the actual pressure high and did a TPMS reset. When it got cold in the winter, the actual pressure in the tires fell a pound or two and the light came on. Took it to the dealer and they inflated the tires to what they did before and the light went off.

So, whenever you change the inflation, you need to reset the system.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
You definately still need to check the pressure...if it is low or flat...you need to put some air in it or change the tire out. Reseting the system should be done only after you put air in it.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!

Last edited by Dammmittt; 06-26-2008 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
smidley
Private First Class
Rep

Yea I checked the pressure on all tires and they all looked normal. I put a little bit of air in one tire that was just a little bit low and then reset the sensor. I will check the pressure again either tonight or tomorrow to see if it's dropped at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #15
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
I believe that the way your system works, on the older (pre-07) models, is that the computer detects a low tire indirectly by comparing relative wheel rotation rates using the ABS and other sensors rather than the pressure itself. So if the pressures are behaving themselves it may be telling you that you have a sensor on the fritz - dealer time.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #16
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTS View Post
Did you do a reset after all this? When it happened to me (see above) I had checked the pressure and thought it alright because it was close to the recommended settings. Turns out my dealer set the actual pressure high and did a TPMS reset. When it got cold in the winter, the actual pressure in the tires fell a pound or two and the light came on. Took it to the dealer and they inflated the tires to what they did before and the light went off.

So, whenever you change the inflation, you need to reset the system.
As far as I know, you should not have to do a reset but if the light on the dash does not go off after you know that all the pressures are correct, then I would reset the sensor.

I took my car to the tire shop for the third time yesterday and they still havent fixed it, they said something about me running over a nail or something like that, I think that they are just putting air in the tire and then calling me to say that its done and to come get it. Im about to stop taking my car to them, gonna try a different shop monday and see what happens.

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0