ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-04-2019, 03:00 AM   #1
CrazyOneToo
1999 E46, 2002 E53, 2007 E85....all in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0Si Roadster

Any way to adjust a folding top latch?

I just bought my 2007 3.0i roadster and the top does not close up to the windshield frame. When I investigated a bit I found the right hand centering pin was missing. I ordered one and installed it but now the pin misses the hole it's supposed to go into when the top is closed down. I was hoping this would fix my crooked closing top. The right side window doesn't seal up all the way either because of this issue. Can the "hook" latch or anything else be adjusted to fix this or is this a top frame mount issue? Since this is my first convertible I'm just guessing but it looks like the right latch is over to far. It's pretty clear that the top was removed by someone in the past due to some rubber seals being out of place and the trim behind the seats being broken in several places. Ugh.

All help is very appreciated.

-
Attached Images

Last edited by CrazyOneToo; 08-04-2019 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Lubricate the latching point roller with a high quality penetrating oil/lubricant (not WD40) and roll the roller to ensure that it "rolls"....

A seized roller will exert enough resistance to interfere with the latching....

WD40 strips the oil/lubrication which is why it's not ideal for lubricating the roller.
      08-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
CrazyOneToo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
Lubricate the latching point roller with a high quality penetrating oil/lubricant (not WD40) and roll the roller to ensure that it "rolls"....

A seized roller will exert enough resistance to interfere with the latching....

WD40 strips the oil/lubrication which is why it's not ideal for lubricating the roller.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The front of the top on one side is landing out of place so much that the
centering pin on the right side misses the centering pin hole. It lands behind the hole.
I will post pics to show what I mean.

Last edited by CrazyOneToo; 08-04-2019 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like the top is slightly mid-aligned. Push the top forward just before it "lands" and see what happens.

Seems like the top was DIY'd by a previous owner and it's not aligned properly.
      08-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep

Have someone "pull" on the corner as it lands to see if the pin will align. If it doesn't then it definitely is misaligned.

Google to find Shipkillers DIY on the top motor replacement. It has instructions on removing/installing the convertible top motor. You may find insight to your issue.

dc_wright also has updated the DIY .... you can check the DIY section on the various Z4 sites for the DIY...
      08-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #6
CrazyOneToo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
Have someone "pull" on the corner as it lands to see if the pin will align. If it doesn't then it definitely is misaligned.

Google to find Shipkillers DIY on the top motor replacement. It has instructions on removing/installing the convertible top motor. You may find insight to your issue.

dc_wright also has updated the DIY .... you can check the DIY section on the various Z4 sites for the DIY...
Thanks. I tried pushing and pulling on it but it wont move forward enough to sit properly. I see now why they
removed the right centering pin. I had hoped it had just worked loose and fallen out. No such luck.
I'll check on the DIY but I'm not really all that mechanically inclined so I may have to take it to a shop anyway. $$$$$$

-
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:50 AM   #7
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Although this info will not fix your underlining problem, it just might enable you to get your top totally closed.

Go to youtube and search under z4 top. Watch a few, but what your looking for is information on how to engage the Red emergency handle in the trunk which is the hydo by-pass for the tops motor. When engaged the top is basically manual and there is no hydo pressure locking it up.

If you learn how to engage the red handle emergency by-pass do so. Then insert the key and turn it until you have lights on the dash. Push top down and the top should unlock and stop (1) (there is no hydo pressure to move it). The top can now be move up/down manually and because there's no hydo pressure you might have enough right/left movement to line up the closing system. If you get them line up push top up and hope for the best.

This won't fix your problem it more than likely was bent by the prior owner when pulling the top.

(1) If the top simply goes down, then either the emergency by-pass is either shot or your incorrectly engaging it.

Last edited by JAS1169; 08-06-2019 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If the entire folding top mechanism was removed from the car as you believe, it seems that it was improperly aligned when it was reinstalled. If a dealer did that and you can find out from the previously owner who that is, I'd whip the car back and demand that they do it right. If that is not the case, perhaps take the car to a good BMW dealer and ask them for a quote to fix this. It may well be possible to adjust the roof closing alignment with the assembly in place at a relatively low price and avoid the costly process of removing the whole assembly to realign and reinstall it. I would not trust this to just anybody.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
CrazyOneToo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
Although this info will not fix your underlining problem, it just might enable you to get your top totally closed.

Go to youtube and search under z4 top. Watch a few, but what your looking for is information on how to engage the Red emergency handle in the trunk which is the hydo by-pass for the tops motor. When engaged the top is basically manual and there is no hydo pressure locking it up.

If you learn how to engage the red handle emergency by-pass do so. Then insert the key and turn it until you have lights on the dash. Push top down and the top should unlock and stop (1) (there is no hydo pressure to move it). The top can now be move up/down manually and because there's no hydo pressure you might have enough right/left movement to line up the closing system. If you get them line up push top up and hope for the best.

This won't fix your problem it more than likely was bent by the prior owner when pulling the top.

(1) If the top simply goes down, then either the emergency by-pass is either shot or your incorrectly engaging it.
I'll try that and hope for the best. Thanks

-
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
CrazyOneToo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
If the entire folding top mechanism was removed from the car as you believe, it seems that it was improperly aligned when it was reinstalled. If a dealer did that and you can find out from the previously owner who that is, I'd whip the car back and demand that they do it right. If that is not the case, perhaps take the car to a good BMW dealer and ask them for a quote to fix this. It may well be possible to adjust the roof closing alignment with the assembly in place at a relatively low price and avoid the costly process of removing the whole assembly to realign and reinstall it. I would not trust this to just anybody.
Yes there are other signs the previous owner tried unsuccessfully to remove and reinstall things.
So taking it to the BMW dealer was probably out of the question for them. Hopefully this won't be a
difficult repair as I am an hour from the nearest dealer and I have had problems with them
already in the past. Thanks for your input and suggestions

-
Appreciate 0