ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

Self-introduction - New Z4 Owner, and some Questions

Hello Zpost!

After 6 months of looking for the perfect Z4, I finally pulled the trigger on a black 2003 2.5i 5sp with low miles, no accidents. I've owned many many cars and this little Z4 is so well-balanced (very much like the new FR-S) but for so much less cash. I've been a German car guy for about 10 years... rode motorcycles for thrills before buying my first E36M3. =)

I've already done a bunch of work on it, including parking brake adjustment, polishing the plastic headlights, fixing the cupholder, fixed air leak in window, and a bunch of cleaning it up. It is barebones but I really love driving it! Thanks to Zpost for all the informative DIY posts. They really help a lot.

Here are my plans for the immediate future:
1) Keep engine stock and reliable. No power modifications, but maybe a software upgrade for better throttle response. Any suggestions for this?
2) Upgraded suspension (H&R coilovers appear to be a good deal) and wheels. Nothing that will kill my gas mileage, but I want that "tucked" look!
3) Just purchased powered leather heated seats from a 2007 Z4, my car came with vinyl manual seats and I think this will probably be THE upgrade for my car! Any tips on retrofitting are appreciated!!!
4) Ordered sound deadener... the doors have no sound deadener in them!!! Looking to make the car as quiet as possible. Comments appreciated!

Anyway, hoping to take the car on a long road trip with this winter break, can't wait to be topless on the California coast!!!!

See you around,
donoman
1983 Wife

Last edited by donoman; 12-16-2012 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
1) Keep engine stock and reliable. No power modifications, but maybe a software upgrade for better throttle response. Any suggestions for this?
Not worth it IMO.

Quote:
2) Upgraded suspension (H&R coilovers appear to be a good deal) and wheels. Nothing that will kill my gas mileage, but I want that "tucked" look!
H&R have good reviews and are priced well. Shouldn't be a problem (not sure how they would affect mileage).

Quote:
4) Ordered sound deadener... the doors have no sound deadener in them!!! Looking to make the car as quiet as possible. Comments appreciated!
There's also been talk on here of putting some deadening behind the plastic inside the wheel wells to drown out some of the road noise. Ron Stygar put sound deadening in his door, see his post here.
      12-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

^WHS

Looks like you found the seat swap thread already, that's the best one I know off.

Tires can make a huge difference in noise levels. The PS3s on one of our cars are really nice in that regard (and great grip in the dry and wet). If you''ve got runflats, that can address two items: noise and ride.
Appreciate 0