ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cool ..... i emailed one vendor for a 2009 Z4 30i manifold and asked him to send pictures and also sent him part numbers .... lets see what he says. ....
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #24
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

yea theirs quite a few up their right now! pretty good deals to be had.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 03:19 AM   #25
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

C... How is it running right now with the stock 3.0i tune? Any noticeable differences? Idle, torque, engine note... etc... How hard was the install?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #26
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

the install was not hard at all really, depends on how much wrench time you have done and modding you are comfortable with, I’d peg it at moderate difficulty, basically if you can install coil-over’s on your car you can do this.

The intake manifold requires just a bunch of disconnecting and unbolting the main studs holding it in the head and remembering where they go afterward. All the wiring is their so you don’t need to rewire or splice anything, its truly plug and play.

the car is in storage for winter so I haven’t had it out yet but maybe the next nice day we have I will take it out. I’m here in the Michigan fort Wayne Indiana area so the grey skies are starting to take over.

for spring I plan to do the full dyno and I will post results. and will be working with Active autowerks later in February to make a tuned map just for the Z4 that everyone here can use if they choose to do this mod. The personal requests from the members here on the forum say they really want dyno before and after results so I have chosen to wait and do a stock dyno pull with just the manifold swap and then do a tuned pull to see what we can truly add with the ecu tune. the existing dyno results on an N52 325I motor with a more restrictive exhaust than our Z with over 120,000 miles returned a net gain of 10HP without a tune. there is no tune yet specific for our Z4 with the manifold swap, as the 3 series has different more restrictive exhaust and such. I plan on taking the car down their around February 2011 to have a custom tune done and with a available SI Z4 their so we can compare numbers. this way we can track down exactly what we need to do to get the full HP possible. After this tune others who have a Z4 and want the tune can get it without having to dyno their vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #27
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

k finally updated the post, if anybody has any questions feel free to PM me or just post it, again sorry if it’s confusing.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #28
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

ok took the car out for the weekend as it was nice outside and gave it some real driving since the swap, still the factory ECU tune as i was curiouse to see the difference with just the manifold swap and nothing else.

was their a difference?

YES!

first gear pulles stronger than ever before feels like it added more than 10HP but then again stock dyno charts showed 10hp gains on a 3 series with a more restrictive exhaust than ours and the car had 120,000 miles on it so theirs no telling what the HP gains are but their is deffinetly an increase in performance.

the sound is also much more agressive, this i contribute to maybe the sound generator, as it was moddest at best with the single stage manifold but now its much more agressive with the new 3 stage manifold.

other than that the car drives normally and no bad side effects to be seen, once i get the AA tune done in the spring we will see what we were able to add. i chose to wait to tune it as i need to dyno the car to tune this properly and do a before and after tune so everyone can get real data. this way their will hard data.

and the tune will be made for this specific mod for our Z4's so i will let you all know as soon as i get real numbers.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #29
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So no lights on the dash or anything .... and no throttle lag problems or issues with the fuel prep? Thts great ..... let me know what happens with AA ...

you said you might come down to FL .... let me know I may be able to show up and talk to them at the same time. .... i will be calling Viral as soon as I get done with finals ....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #30
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yea no lights no errors throttle is very responsive no idle dipping or any bad side affects to speak of, so anybody wanting to do this mod can and get the software upgrade later without having to worry about any ill effects.

I also just called AA and set up my info and am going to pute down a deposit to secure and have an SI Z4 dyno'd and its mapping gone over to use as a base, then when i get their my car will be tuned to upgrade over the origanal so in theory may get better numbers, im planning a cruise with my wife in feburary so either i will be in miami Fl. in feburary or the begining of spring to have the work done, I know its a bit of a wait but it will be worth it to find out what we can squeez out of the 3.0I.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #31
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Really nice work on this. Damn, I have a 05, if I only had a 06

I'd love to supercharge my car but it's $6k...maybe I'll do the small Dinan mods and get an extra 10HP or so.

Chris
      12-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #32
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
i was just poking fun....
i actually owned a 2.5i and loved the way it handled over the M something about electrice steering gets me everytime.

for racing i perfer si....
for showboating i stay with M division....
i actually totally agree about the m vs the si. i drove both before i purchased my si, i found the si to be better driving no idea why, just felt much better. i came from a modified evo though, so im pretty unimpressed by most cars (that being said the bmws have the same kind of character that a proper car should have, not perfect. its the imperfections and the quarks that i love. its the character!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #33
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
ok took the car out for the weekend as it was nice outside and gave it some real driving since the swap, still the factory ECU tune as i was curiouse to see the difference with just the manifold swap and nothing else.

was their a difference?

YES!

first gear pulles stronger than ever before feels like it added more than 10HP but then again stock dyno charts showed 10hp gains on a 3 series with a more restrictive exhaust than ours and the car had 120,000 miles on it so theirs no telling what the HP gains are but their is deffinetly an increase in performance.

the sound is also much more agressive, this i contribute to maybe the sound generator, as it was moddest at best with the single stage manifold but now its much more agressive with the new 3 stage manifold.

other than that the car drives normally and no bad side effects to be seen, once i get the AA tune done in the spring we will see what we were able to add. i chose to wait to tune it as i need to dyno the car to tune this properly and do a before and after tune so everyone can get real data. this way their will hard data.

and the tune will be made for this specific mod for our Z4's so i will let you all know as soon as i get real numbers.
If single stage intake is in same state as 3 stage for high end RPM range
then I doubt intake swap alone would add any high-end power. It might
change some mid-low range characteristics, but logically shouldn't make
any high-end change, right?

.... Unless ECU somehow recoginzes DISA motors and switches the algorithm....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 02:57 AM   #34
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
If single stage intake is in same state as 3 stage for high end RPM range
then I doubt intake swap alone would add any high-end power. It might
change some mid-low range characteristics, but logically shouldn't make
any high-end change, right?

.... Unless ECU somehow recoginzes DISA motors and switches the algorithm....
I think that it is possible that the ECU may recognize them and adjust, but I don't think that there is concrete evidence to prove that.. When C gets his dynos, we will know more.. I am curious as anybody to how much HP can be gained from adding the 3 stage without tune.. I hope C drives it a bit before the dynos to allow the ECU to adjust fully... (If it adjusts at all?)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #35
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

From reading e90 post it sounds like intake motors will operate without the tune. So the question is in ECU - which parameters should it adjust in response to intake config changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #36
Digitalinkartist
MrSixSpeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Garage Queen

-c- were the adjuster units included with your purchase? did you need to source them separately? I don't see them listed on car part.

Any help/insight is greatly appreciated
Thanks In advance
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 01:45 AM   #37
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalinkartist View Post
-c- were the adjuster units included with your purchase? did you need to source them separately? I don't see them listed on car part.
Any help/insight is greatly appreciated
Thanks In advance

Yes the DISA valves or ajuster units did come on the intake manifold it was all complete, if you look up intake manifold they should show up but it will be the whole package manifold and DISA valves.

Also yes the computer senses the actuators as I hear them open and close test just before starting whatever goes on in their has maid a difference in the way the car responds and drives. We will know more in spring when we dyno.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #38
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

dyno sheet posted from e90 post, thanks to e90-pilot, the software is available to anybody who wants it, even thoug its made for the 3 series its compatable for our engines as well. i will be driving their in the spring for a custom tune.

final results of the convertion:
256HP and 228 ft-lbs of torque:happy anim:

hey whatever it is this is what i was hoping for!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #39
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
very nice, have a link to the original thread from e90pilot?
      01-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #40
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

sweet .... looking good ... cant wait to do the conversion myself ... workin on the M bumper and new rotors/pads right now ...
      01-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #41
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
very nice, have a link to the original thread from e90pilot?
sure thing !!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372973
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #42
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The software is $350 bucks, would anybody be interested in a group buy for spring or earlier?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #43
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: Successfully removed the manifold today. Will be putting it back in probably on the 16th (broke a connecting line which comes in on the 16th not a big deal though).... I will have some tricks/tips to go along -C-'s DIY which might help anyone else who attempts this ....
      02-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #44
kirkpart2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Got It Working !!!!!

WOW no lights no rattling no problems at all .... the same smooth rev all the way up to 7000RPM only more urgent..... got all the stuff for $235 shipped and put it in 4 hours .... not really that hard to do just need to be careful ....

Oh and no tune yet (soon ) but did i feel the power ..... ?? Ooooh yes .... i have a SS race exhaust which with the new manifold is singing more then ever .... the acceleration is definitely stronger for the first 3 gears .... taking it on the freeway soon to test the other 3 out ..... the car pulls harder and sounds better as well ....

So all you 3.0I's out there ... this works and is the cheapest way to get SI levels .... will dyno soon so everyone has some concrete proof .....

-C- .... great job on the DIY its pretty much spot on