ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
proboner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed

Long term experiences with Royal Purple

The car this pertains to is a 2003 3.0 6-speed.

I purchased the car about a month ago with the relatively low mileage (if I were in Canada would this me kilometerage?) of 70k, and as seems to be par for the course, it has some notchiness going into 1st and 2nd gear. Did some research and found that our trans fluid is supposedly "lifetime", but also that many people ended up doing regular changes every 30k-60k miles. At 70k with it assuredly never having been changed before, I decided this may be a good idea to help smooth things out. Continued on with my research and found a good number of people suggesting great things from Royal Purple Synchromesh.

So yesterday I go to my local oil lube shop (9 minute oil lube in palo alto... place is legit for any locals who have never been) with 2 quarts of RPS to get the job done. When I pull in the owner is there, I tell him what I want done, and he puts a hold on the whole thing. Takes the RPS to his "master mechanic" to discuss whether it will be a valid replacement for OEM, and comes back to talk to me. We discuss this choice for at least 15 minutes and he is very reluctant to use my fluid, but eventually relents and says he will do it for free as he doesn't want to be held accountable if anything goes wrong.

Fluid is changed and I feel like I have noticed slightly smoother shifts... however it surely could all be in my head. Anyways, with all this trepidation on the shop owners part, it makes me wonder if people have had any long terms negative effects when using Royal Purple Synchromesh. Anyone care to chime in?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by proboner View Post
The car this pertains to is a 2003 3.0 6-speed.

I purchased the car about a month ago with the relatively low mileage (if I were in Canada would this me kilometerage?) of 70k, and as seems to be par for the course, it has some notchiness going into 1st and 2nd gear. Did some research and found that our trans fluid is supposedly "lifetime", but also that many people ended up doing regular changes every 30k-60k miles. At 70k with it assuredly never having been changed before, I decided this may be a good idea to help smooth things out. Continued on with my research and found a good number of people suggesting great things from Royal Purple Synchromesh.

So yesterday I go to my local oil lube shop (9 minute oil lube in palo alto... place is legit for any locals who have never been) with 2 quarts of RPS to get the job done. When I pull in the owner is there, I tell him what I want done, and he puts a hold on the whole thing. Takes the RPS to his "master mechanic" to discuss whether it will be a valid replacement for OEM, and comes back to talk to me. We discuss this choice for at least 15 minutes and he is very reluctant to use my fluid, but eventually relents and says he will do it for free as he doesn't want to be held accountable if anything goes wrong.

Fluid is changed and I feel like I have noticed slightly smoother shifts... however it surely could all be in my head. Anyways, with all this trepidation on the shop owners part, it makes me wonder if people have had any long terms negative effects when using Royal Purple Synchromesh. Anyone care to chime in?
I stick with Redline personally, and pretty much run it on all my M's. I've read RPS is good according to the forums, and almost went with it but I just decided to stick to what I know.

Honestly, my Z4M had really old trans fluid and putting some fresh Redline helped with the shifting tremendously. I really don't think it's in your head. I absolutely do not believe in Lifetime Fluids
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
I asked the same question last year => http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ht=synchromesh

I am very happy with the switch to RP, for what its worth.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Royal Purple is all I run in everything I own. I have not had a single problem with Synchromesh after several years of use in my 3 series, truck transfer case, and now my Z trans.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

I think the real issue was with using ANYTHING non-OEM specified and the worry it would come back on them if you had a tranny issue after the fluid change. Most shops have a policy of not installing any part, fluid, etc. brought in by a customer.

And, you're not imagining the smoother shifting. Even a change of the OEM fluid at your mileage would have yielded an improvement, but you would not have liked the price.
      03-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Upcoming project for me, just ordered my Blackstone pump/6 pack of oil/tranny analysis and 3 Dimple magnets from BavAutoSport, change out tranny and diff, researching now if there are benefits to using aftermarket. Are you saying OEM is MORE that RPS ?
      03-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
Upcoming project for me, just ordered my Blackstone pump/6 pack of oil/tranny analysis and 3 Dimple magnets from BavAutoSport, change out tranny and diff, researching now if there are benefits to using aftermarket. Are you saying OEM is MORE that RPS ?
BMW branded MTF-LT2 tranny fluid is about $50 a liter at the dealer. You can get Pentosin equivalent from Pelican Parts for about $25 a liter, but then you have to add shipping.

RPS is $20 a quart via Amazon Prime.
      03-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
If you're happy with the way your transmission feels, then I would just get the Pentosin as per dc_wright's suggested. I don't see any reasons to veer away from OE unless you don't like how it shifts
      03-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I'm not real happy with the shifting, though I've gotten a lot smoother with more driving. There is a lot of opinions on fluids I've been reading about today. Saw some great reviews on Motul Gear 300 75W90, which apparently you can use in the tranny AND diff.
      03-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
I'm not real happy with the shifting, though I've gotten a lot smoother with more driving. There is a lot of opinions on fluids I've been reading about today. Saw some great reviews on Motul Gear 300 75W90, which apparently you can use in the tranny AND diff.
I wasn't that happy with the OE or Pentosin either (FYI - Pentosin feels exactly like OE). I'd figured I'll give RPS a try since it's easy to get and got somewhat good reviews on here - If I didn't like it, it'll get drained out in 25K-30K anyway and try something else. If I really hated it, it'll just get drained sooner as the fluids are relatively inexpensive.

Are the Motul reviews on a Z4M or equivalent transmission? If it's not in a similar transmission, then the reviews may not necessarily applies as the "feels" of the transmissions won't necessarily transfer over
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR30.00
      03-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If your car hasn't had the clutch delay valve (CDV) removed get that done ASAP. It will make a huge difference in how shifting feels.
      03-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
CDV will be out in 4 days and counting...also CPV seal installed. Indy said if I wanted new motor mounts, good time to do it all at once. Located from Tri City Bolt & Screw St Pete 10.9 bolts for motor bracket mounts ( known weak point/passenger break ) So I went with Vibra Technics and the Rouge Engineering Tranny mounts. I feel like the drive train will be as solid as possible. Then I thought as a final touch, new tranny/diff fluid. Not sure about getting all 3 Dimple magnets, but I feel it would give me some piece of mind that I've done everything to have a healthy drivetrain.
      03-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #13
Manxman1950
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M roadster

Garage List
I was about to use RP for my gearbox and diff, but chanced across a post on another forum where the owner was using RP in their diff and a Blackstone report noted significant wear. He changed to Redline and the next Blackstone report was fine......
I went with Redline. Unfortunately I don't recall the location of the post.
2006 Z4M roadster. Interlagos Blue, black extended leather with carbon trim. Apex EC7 8.5/9.5 x 18 rims, Strong Strut brace, KW V3s with RE rear shock mounts, Vibra Tech and Rogue engine/transmission mounts, Stromung exhaust, CDV delete.
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR30.00
      03-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #14
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I've found a mixture of different reviews on the two
      03-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #15
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

You know I've ran MTF in my RX8 and RP in my old Z3. I like MTF better personally. I'll keep RP for my oil changes, but use MTF in my transmission when it's due.
Appreciate 0