ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-19-2023, 09:44 AM   #1
Mmruol
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 20d

Exclamation Door lock issues

Hello dear fellow e85 owners,

I am experiencing a strange issue on my '06 e85.

A few weeks ago my driver side electronic lock failed completely. Other door, fuel lock, glove compartment etc. all worked. I started researching into GM5 module issues but it seemed unlikely since only one door lock failed, so I bit the bullet and bought a new door lock module. After fitting it in, the new lock constantly cycles open/closed and very quickly gets hot to the touch.

Could it be the GM5 module after all?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 12:13 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Strange indeed…. I’d start with pulling out the GM5 module and doing the sniff test for burnt electronics (hard to say if you will actually smell anything but….) then clean the contacts/connectors with electrical contact cleaner. This is simply “first aid” to see if simple measures fix the problem.

I googled… Z4 GM5 module issues …. Found lots of posts/information. I would spend a little time reading these if you haven’t already. One guy even gave instructions on how to open the module and “do stuff” repair wise with it. Not sure I’d do that but all depends upon what you are comfortable with. There are individuals that specialize in repairing it though.