ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Updating the Z4 interior

After siting in the Cayman GTS I started searching for updated Z4 interiors and came across Carlex Designs. I really liked the GTS red stitched alcantera with carbon accents which looks like Carlex have done a nice job for the Z4. I would be curious how much that interior costs.
Attached Images

2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Given that it's all custom hand made expect it to be a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

My guess would be $20K-$25K.
      01-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I'm sure it's just personal taste but I do not see a single thing in that interior that appeals to me.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I'm sure it's just personal taste but I do not see a single thing in that interior that appeals to me.
Ditto. It is awful.

It looks like one of those daggy raggy shaggy carpet thingies people used to put on their dashboards in the 70s (maybe because the dash had cracked, or maybe because they just liked daggy raggy shaggy!?)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Why don't they show normal real life pictures of their work. It's all either render or very very heavily photoshopped on their website, so the real fact is that you have no idea what the final product really looks like.
I wonder if that's a factor in the reason why they're photoshopping so extensively....

You have to remember that you can't drive around in a photoshopped car; so imagining that a real life product looks anything like that is rather ridiculous.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I don't think the center console is all that bad, other than the arm rest. In my opinion the arm rest stitching is just over the top. Also, I've never been a fan of the overly textured plastic dash of the Z so having it wrapped is nice but a matte leather would probably look better.
      01-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I looked in this exact interior optimization this past summer.

The interior plastics used on the visors, A pillars, upper dash, lower dash, upper cantrails (top part of the door), lower cantrails ( lower part of the door) is low rent and is hard.

It does its job about not fading but looks hard to the touch and is hard to the touch.

In order to "soften" the interior aesthetic and also warm it up, I looked into alcantara for all of the sections mentioned above.

I was quoted $3,000 for all components to be wrapped.

Where I did not have any confidence in their ability was they told me the parts would have to be taken off the car first, and they couldn't disassemble and reassemble the components.

They are doing my roll-over bars in black alcantara but that is it.

One can measure the interior real estate like I did, order the required amount of fabric and have a great DYI.

Get us pictures!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #8
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Part #1 will be facing the interior and will be alcantara.

Part #2 will be facing towards the road and painted the exterior color.

Basically like a Porsche Boxster with optional leather/painted roll bars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

It might be better to piece it yourself. Ian did a great job with his seats, that's a start. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812664

New member (Michael) has done custom door cards and other stitching--should be pics next week. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1208942

The trick is the dash--that's a pita since the Porsche plastic is at another level--so alcantara it all. The leather pieces Porsche uses to edge the dash--red stitching on that--I'd expect that would be tough to achieve and costly. Then again maybe there's a clever way to do it, by alcantara seems best. Maybe throw in some CF or CF wrapped bits?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I really want these but either nobody will make them or they literally want $3,000 for a set of carbon fiber roll bar covers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #11
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
I really want these but either nobody will make them or they literally want $3,000 for a set of carbon fiber roll bar covers.

Carbon dip them and then clear coat.

If I hadn't already had mine wrapped in leather I would do it.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #12
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62
Quote:

Carbon dip them and then clear coat.

If I hadn't already had mine wrapped in leather I would do it.
I am not a fan of carbon dipping. It looks flat in texture to my eye.

Pictures could help though!

Going with half alcantara/painted roll bar covers.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
I am not a fan of carbon dipping. It looks flat in texture to my eye.

Pictures could help though!

Going with half alcantara/painted roll bar covers.
It is flat, basically a film wrapped around the substrate.

I do regret not going with a flat clear coat on mine.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:

The interior plastics used on the visors, A pillars, upper dash, lower dash, upper cantrails (top part of the door), lower cantrails ( lower part of the door) is low rent and is hard.

It does its job about not fading but looks hard to the touch and is hard to the touch.

In order to "soften" the interior aesthetic and also warm it up, I looked into alcantara for all of the sections mentioned above.

Where I did not have any confidence in their ability was they told me the parts would have to be taken off the car first.

One can measure the interior real estate like I did, order the required amount of fabric and have a great DYI.

Get us pictures!!!!!
Just curious who in the Orlando area gave you the $3K quote?
      01-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #15
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Not a fan of the steering wheel but I'm surprised that so many think it doesn't look good. I think the carbon dash trim looks great. The quality and craftsmanship of the dash looks top notch, though I don't feel I'd go Alcantara on that section. Nevertheless, this is much of an improvement over the current hard plastic IMO.
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #16
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I think it looks pretty nice, except for the leather covering the steering wheel airbag. No way this can all be done for $3k, the seats have to cost more than that alone. I'm assuming that price is for everything but the seats?

If it's $3k for everything but the seats, it's still a good deal. If that includes the seats, that's an insanely low price. I mean, they have alcantara on the door cards and the windshield frame. That's really nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #17
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Dunno about doing whole interior but here's my alcantara wheel with 3.0si silver trim surrounds

Last edited by 3002 tii; 01-03-2016 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:11 AM   #18
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

I like it. If I had extra money to spend that I don't need I would consider it. Looks very $$$. The Porsche interior looks awesome too. I been inside one before Cayenne Turbo which its price is extremely insane but the interior design was amazing!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #19
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I will look them up and get it posted here.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #20
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii
Dunno about doing while interior but here's my alcantara wheel with 3.0si silver trim surrounds

I like that. The red thread looks really good against the alcantara!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #21
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC
I think it looks pretty nice, except for the leather covering the steering wheel airbag. No way this can all be done for $3k, the seats have to cost more than that alone. I'm assuming that price is for everything but the seats?

If it's $3k for everything but the seats, it's still a good deal. If that includes the seats, that's an insanely low price. I mean, they have alcantara on the door cards and the windshield frame. That's really nice.
I didn't want my seats done as I have M Sport seats in Dream Red leather, which I looked for an extremely long time.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #22
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright
Quote:

Where I did not have any confidence in their ability was they told me the parts would have to be taken off the car first.

Get us pictures!!!!!
Just curious who in the Orlando area gave you the $3K quote?
Universal Auto Interior & Upholstery in Orlando, they had a large sample book that I selected my alcantara from and special ordered it for me.
Appreciate 0