ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-04-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Leaking head gasket

So two weeks ago when I was getting my exhaust done I noticed a leak near the trans.

So I take it to the dealer and they told me it's the head gasket leaking.

I'm fine with it as long as it's fixed. But my SA did mention that there was a large amount of carbon buildup on three cylinders. He said it's either due to fuel choice, I use chevron 91oct, or lack of heavy driving.

According to him the m engines need to be driven hard often. He said the immediate fix is a fuel system flush.

I don't beat on the car but I also don't baby it, opinions?
      03-04-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
007miata
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Is the head gasket going to be done under warranty? You got a much bigger problem if the head gasket is leaking versus carbon build up.

The motor is spec'd at 91 octane. If you are putting in higher octane fuel which could cause carbon buildup due to incomplete combustion if not driven hard enough, or you do a LOT of stop n go traffic driving at low RPM's then i would get the SA to prove to you how he came up with the carbon build up theory? Fuel system flush sounds like a stealership grab unless its covered under warranty. To clean carbon out is usually accomplished with a few good hard runs coupled with a top engine cleaner cleanse such as seafoam or even water sucked in via a vacuum line with the motor running.

If the headgasket is truly leaking, compression will be down in one of the cylinders and your radiator will be bubbling out air through it if you take the cap off and start the motor.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

congratulations you are most likely the victim of the dealership.

There's no way you have a leaky head gasket. If it was an oil leak near the trans it's likely a CPV valve, fairly easy fix.

What kind of a leak was it?

Carbon buildup isn't fixed by a fuel system flush, that's ridiculous. There probably is no (excessive) buildup in the first place.
      03-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
congratulations you are most likely the victim of the dealership.

There's no way you have a leaky head gasket. If it was an oil leak near the trans it's likely a CPV valve, fairly easy fix.

What kind of a leak was it?

Carbon buildup isn't fixed by a fuel system flush, that's ridiculous. There probably is no (excessive) buildup in the first place.
Engine oil leak, looked to me like it was coming from the rear main seal, but i couldnt get in close enough to see exactly where it was coming from.

Oh hell im not paying for it. Its all under warranty. I dont care what they say will fix it as long as they fix it.

Im interested in the theories of the carbon buildup though

Last edited by Crimson92; 03-04-2010 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Oh hell im not paying for it. Its all under warranty. I dont care what they say will fix it as long as they fix it.

Im more interested in the theories of the carbon buildup
Dont be so carefree, you want the dealership taking the head of your engine when they don't even have the intelligence to know what's wrong. Cuz they wont put it back on right. I can tell you from experience the cams have to be initialized perfectly to get the timing right.

One thing I am thinking though, are you sure he did not mean you have a leaking valve cover gasket?

Carbon buildups probably BS, and a fuel system flush wont be fixing it if there is. They probably want to charge you for this supposed flush.
      03-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dont be so carefree, you want the dealership taking the head of your engine when they don't even have the intelligence to know what's wrong. Cuz they wont put it back on right. I can tell you from experience the cams have to be initialized perfectly to get the timing right.

One thing I am thinking though, are you sure he did not mean you have a leaking valve cover gasket?

Carbon buildups probably BS, and a fuel system flush wont be fixing it if there is. They probably want to charge you for this supposed flush.
i edited my post above.

Theres really nothing i can do about the head gasket leak. whether it really is there or not. He didnt say valve cover leak. He said the carbon buildup was on the cylinder walls/pistons..he would need the head off to see that.

its under warranty and i really cant refuse the service.

as for the fuel system flush, this is their description;

Using specialized equipment, our trained technicians will clean throttle body, intake valves & combustion chambers.

Personally I dont buy in to it but if they'll do it for free..have fun.

I have heard of audis getting carbon buildup but i dont know the reasons for that.
      03-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
i edited my post above.

Theres really nothing i can do about the head gasket leak. whether it really is there or not. He didnt say valve cover leak. He said the carbon buildup was on the cylinder walls/pistons..he would need the head off to see that.

its under warranty and i really cant refuse the service.

as for the fuel system flush, this is their description;

Using specialized equipment, our trained technicians will clean throttle body, intake valves & combustion chambers.

Personally I dont buy in to it but if they'll do it for free..have fun.

I have heard of audis getting carbon buildup but i dont know the reasons for that.

Ugh, they took it off already? That sucks.

99% of the oil leaks that are dripping down the bottom of the bellhousing on the s54 are CPV valve leaks, the rest are rear main seals. You're probably a bit early for both, but way more likely then a headgasket.

Headgaskets can leak out the side of the block, but it's only on cars with 100ks miles and usually includes coolant (and lots of other things).

And what they meant was the guy from the wash bay will go to town on your valves with a metal wheel. (can you tell I don't think very highly of the dealerships?)
      03-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:

99% of the oil leaks that are dripping down the bottom of the bellhousing on the s54 are CPV valve leaks, the rest are rear main seals. You're probably a bit early for both, but way more likely then a headgasket.

Headgaskets can leak out the side of the block, but it's only on cars with 100ks miles and usually includes coolant (and lots of other things).

And what they meant was the guy from the wash bay will go to town on your valves with a metal wheel. (can you tell I don't think very highly of the dealerships?)
i know...im not too thrilled with dealerships and i have a horrible history with cars...i seem to buy the factory rejects...

anywho, Im not 100% convinced that the head is leaking...

Personally i dont want my engine opened up by anyone for any reason. but such is life.

Luckily i trust my SA and the tech working on my car. they have been working with my car for over a year and they seem to know what they are doing.
      03-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
trsbmw
deft danish devil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E86 M-Cp, LMB 335d M-Sport

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

Did you mean PCV valve? (for Positive Crankcase Ventilation) If not, what is this CPV valve that you are talking about?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsbmw View Post
Did you mean PCV valve? (for Positive Crankcase Ventilation) If not, what is this CPV valve that you are talking about?
Main bearings don't like high pressure, there is a valve that relieves the pressure to prevent them from seeing it, it's on the side of the block. The O ring goes bad and it starts to leak oil which then drips to the bottom and makes it look like a bad rear main. An experienced tech, instead of diagnosing a very expensive rear main will identify that 50-100$ fix instead.
      03-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #11
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

get em Ocha.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Anyway BMW dealerships are absolute garbage to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
trsbmw
deft danish devil
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Main bearings don't like high pressure, there is a valve that relieves the pressure to prevent them from seeing it, it's on the side of the block. The O ring goes bad and it starts to leak oil which then drips to the bottom and makes it look like a bad rear main. An experienced tech, instead of diagnosing a very expensive rear main will identify that 50-100$ fix instead.
What does CPV stand for, just curious..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
trsbmw
deft danish devil
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
scratch that,, Constant Pressure Valve,, just found it
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

k im pissed now,

he sayings theres a oil pan leak now.

now im 100% sure they misdiagnosed this.

my engine got taken apart for nothing
      03-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
k im pissed now,

he sayings theres a oil pan leak now.

now im 100% sure they misdiagnosed this.

my engine got taken apart for nothing
Please point them to the constant pressure valve, its toward the back of the block on the exhaust side. It has a flat head receptacle style top.

99% that that is where your leak is from. It leaks all the time and from the picture below you can see how close it is to the bell housing/ why it gets misdiagnosed.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I feel really bad for you because I can almost guarantee they did not put it back together 100% properly. A lot of engines can be built be ignorant monkeys, the high strung s54 isn't one.

Make sure you give them a poor review when BMW calls, and pray the headgasket holds/it was timed and torques right.
      03-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #17
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please point them to the constant pressure valve, its toward the back of the block on the exhaust side. It has a flat head receptacle style top.

99% that that is where your leak is from. It leaks all the time and from the picture below you can see how close it is to the bell housing/ why it gets misdiagnosed.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I feel really bad for you because I can almost guarantee they did not put it back together 100% properly. A lot of engines can be built be ignorant monkeys, the high strung s54 isn't one.

Make sure you give them a poor review when BMW calls, and pray the headgasket holds/it was timed and torques right.

ocha i completely agree with you, i used to work for Mbenz

i know the difference between a good engine tech and a oil change monkey.

im heated right now.
      03-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #18
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

are there any really good top quality bmw shops in your area?
      03-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
are there any really good top quality bmw shops in your area?
Well my car is still under warranty so i have to take it to a dealer. I havent heard anything good from san diego bmw so i take it to another dealer near sd.

Actually havent heard of any good BMW dealers in ca

Ah, my car is never going to be the same.
      03-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well my car is still under warranty so i have to take it to a dealer. I havent heard anything good from san diego bmw so i take it to another dealer near sd.

Actually havent heard of any good BMW dealers in ca

Ah, my car is never going to be the same.
It's possible they never actually took the head off. That's why I say confirm first.

And the reason I ask about the shops is if you can find a really good shop you KNOW has the tools and can check timing you can confirm if the tech is an idiot or not. If he is it'll be timed wrong.
      03-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #21
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

*update*

They cant get the timing right.

O-cha......you were right
      03-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #22
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

I got inspection 1 done at 21k and I feel my timing isn't right either. how can i check my timing, I am complete fool when it comes to engine knowhow? Thanks

Quote:
*update*

They cant get the timing right.

O-cha......you were right